Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Exhaust for a 991.2 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 11:34 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

Congrats, on making a choice first of all which is hard enough, but also looks like a beautiful system. How does it sound when you're NOT on it, when just cruising? Is it close to stock?
Old 05-13-2018, 01:14 PM
Dougr743
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

what was the cost of the cat back IPE system? I have not put my side deletes on, and am not turning back with my decision. i heard 20 different configurations of all sorts of stuff. I think the sounds very, but not by much. i get the IPE ti sounds more Ferrari like, but Fabspeed or Dundon,BBI etc etc are grassroots companies that built there success from developing better products and better race products. i think thats why you see so much support. its their effort that drives buyers to want to support their efforts. I think there is a lot to be said about all the products, but there is no doubt, center deletes are boomy. Side deletes are throaty to my ear. i am in SC, so no emission. I just want something that has balance, offers weight savings, is simple to apply, and does not look aftermarket. So will prob add headers is i don't get "enough" out of the sound, its not a power problem. Cant use what it has unless on a track.
Old 05-13-2018, 09:20 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Congrats, on making a choice first of all which is hard enough, but also looks like a beautiful system. How does it sound when you're NOT on it, when just cruising? Is it close to stock?
Thanks! When not on it in quiet mode it sounds stock. That is the nice thing about the valve.
Old 05-13-2018, 09:28 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Dougr743
what was the cost of the cat back IPE system? I have not put my side deletes on, and am not turning back with my decision. i heard 20 different configurations of all sorts of stuff. I think the sounds very, but not by much. i get the IPE ti sounds more Ferrari like, but Fabspeed or Dundon,BBI etc etc are grassroots companies that built there success from developing better products and better race products. i think thats why you see so much support. its their effort that drives buyers to want to support their efforts. I think there is a lot to be said about all the products, but there is no doubt, center deletes are boomy. Side deletes are throaty to my ear. i am in SC, so no emission. I just want something that has balance, offers weight savings, is simple to apply, and does not look aftermarket. So will prob add headers is i don't get "enough" out of the sound, its not a power problem. Cant use what it has unless on a track.
The cost of the system is 4400ish retail depending on the tip you get. It is a pretty simple system. Rear muffler and side bypass with an option for sport headers. As far as grassroots companies, they all provide similar things. I wanted something that sounded better, was lightweight and got rid of some heat. For sound nothing comes close to IPE for me. The reason i would add race headers also is for louder sound and more power. Everyone has their preferences when it comes to exhaust. There isn’t a right or wrong. I just wanted to guve my unbiased opinion without forum/brand politics.
Old 05-13-2018, 09:56 PM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 370 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by IRguy
Hi Jamie,
When you talking about banks, you mean cylinder banks I assume? So would that mean the center muffler is essential?
By the way, your headers - without cats, where is basically no dip - will have no CEL without any software upgrade?
Thanks
Sorry for the late reply. Yes cylinder banks need to merge once you're trying to make power. If you want an improvement in sound then valved side deletes are a good choice (we have them as well...). Just keep in mind if you track the car the stock center muffler with the factory side deletes removed will take the full force of the exhaust pressure waves. This may cause a premature death to your center muffler. This is why we've spent the time to make a lifetime bullet proof center muffler, years of repairing the 997 mufflers and customers looking for something a little quieter...

991.1 Race headers don't have a CEL when properly installed. 991.2 GT3 USA cars we're working on a revision to make the ECU happy with race headers, Catted are fine. The dip on the catted isn't really noticeable when driving the car as the dyno is done full throttle through the 4500-5500rpm range and very rarely if ever are you driving the car full throttle through this range, you're part throttle or down shifting... (the dip is due to EGR from the factory cam timing).

For those that are confused by your choices:
1. Center bypass, more sound
2. Motorsports Side Deletes (no valve): more sound, drone, less weight, less heat.
2. Valved Side Deletes: more sound, no drone, less weight, less heat at the rear tires.
3. Dundon Catted Headers: more power, no drone, more sound, less weight, less heat.
4. Dundon Race Headers: more power, no drone, more sound, less weight, less heat

Our 991.2 GT3 is here, we're getting her a few miles on the street and getting ready for some baseline dynos. Then dyno's with our catted system and finally dyno's with our race system.

We'll share in a separate thread the results.

As far as who's claims to believe and who to trust. We design all of our products, we build our products from some of the best materials available, using the best methods available. If that's not enough:

Dundon offers a 30 day unconditional "Send it back if you don't love it guarantee", we'll refund the purchase price if not happy.
Dundon offers an unconditional repair or replace lifetime warranty on all of our exhaust products.

We want happy, satisfied customers out there, and we want to keep them happy and satisfied. It's the reason we started Dundon in the first place to offer products that do what the say they will do offered by people that will stand behind them and help customers enjoy them. Besides if you break our stuff, we're really interested in how you did it so we can learn from it and make it better!

Jamie
jamie@dundonmotorsports.com

www.dundonmotorsports.com
Facebook.com/dundonmotorsports
Instagram @dundon_motorsports
Old 05-14-2018, 03:07 AM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Received 250 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by drdonger
Just ordered my IPE carback titanium exhaust from Wheel Boutique. I plan on doing a full review with exhaust weights, install process and a post install dyno. I will probably drive with it for awhile and see if I want to add Dundon or Fabspeed race headers with a custom connecting pipes. I’ll keep everyone updated.
I am following your mods very closey bud, as I am looking for a very similar setup. Keep on posting and good luck with the custom pipes.

Originally Posted by wurlie
While I do appreciate the ease of use of the center delete, it offers very little aside from a slightly different sound and a marginal weight reduction. If one chooses to keep OEM headers and cat to avoid potential (though not certain) CEL issues, replacing side mufflers with connection pipes that have vacuum activated valves leads to ~25kg weight reduction, with stock rear muffler in place.
I have done just that - it is a superior solution in my view.
Any videos of the sound?

Originally Posted by WheelsB
Another little fun video that I think some of you might like Message me for details.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Biib6tCF...wheelsboutique
what exhaust is that? Flame thrower feature is a bonus.
Old 05-15-2018, 01:26 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Sorry for the late reply. Yes cylinder banks need to merge once you're trying to make power. If you want an improvement in sound then valved side deletes are a good choice (we have them as well...). Just keep in mind if you track the car the stock center muffler with the factory side deletes removed will take the full force of the exhaust pressure waves. This may cause a premature death to your center muffler. This is why we've spent the time to make a lifetime bullet proof center muffler, years of repairing the 997 mufflers and customers looking for something a little quieter...

991.1 Race headers don't have a CEL when properly installed. 991.2 GT3 USA cars we're working on a revision to make the ECU happy with race headers, Catted are fine. The dip on the catted isn't really noticeable when driving the car as the dyno is done full throttle through the 4500-5500rpm range and very rarely if ever are you driving the car full throttle through this range, you're part throttle or down shifting... (the dip is due to EGR from the factory cam timing).

For those that are confused by your choices:
1. Center bypass, more sound
2. Motorsports Side Deletes (no valve): more sound, drone, less weight, less heat.
2. Valved Side Deletes: more sound, no drone, less weight, less heat at the rear tires.
3. Dundon Catted Headers: more power, no drone, more sound, less weight, less heat.
4. Dundon Race Headers: more power, no drone, more sound, less weight, less heat

Our 991.2 GT3 is here, we're getting her a few miles on the street and getting ready for some baseline dynos. Then dyno's with our catted system and finally dyno's with our race system.

We'll share in a separate thread the results.

As far as who's claims to believe and who to trust. We design all of our products, we build our products from some of the best materials available, using the best methods available. If that's not enough:

Dundon offers a 30 day unconditional "Send it back if you don't love it guarantee", we'll refund the purchase price if not happy.
Dundon offers an unconditional repair or replace lifetime warranty on all of our exhaust products.

We want happy, satisfied customers out there, and we want to keep them happy and satisfied. It's the reason we started Dundon in the first place to offer products that do what the say they will do offered by people that will stand behind them and help customers enjoy them. Besides if you break our stuff, we're really interested in how you did it so we can learn from it and make it better!

Jamie
Please keep us updated. Very interested in the race version with a custom single pipe setup. Thanks
Old 05-15-2018, 06:44 PM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 288 Likes on 141 Posts

Any more details on this? Is that transferable?
Old 05-15-2018, 08:26 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,026 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3

Yes, they take care of you if you have their product, PERIOD. Best customer service I've EVER experienced. Also, you'll love those race headers
Old 05-15-2018, 10:49 PM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 370 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3
It has been yes, since it's a warranty for defects in materials or workmanship we are happy to continue to honor it. We pride ourselves on our materials, and manufacturing so if there's an issue we absolutely want to see it so we can identify any weaknesses and improve!

Originally Posted by sechsgang
Yes, they take care of you if you have their product, PERIOD. Best customer service I've EVER experienced. Also, you'll love those race headers
Thank you!!
Old 05-16-2018, 12:29 AM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Here are some vids with the valves disconnectes. A little drone with rhe valves disconnected, but no drone with them connected.

It sounds a lot better in person. The videos don’t capture it well.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:46 AM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 288 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by sechsgang
Can't wait

It has been yes, since it's a warranty for defects in materials or workmanship we are happy to continue to honor it. We pride ourselves on our materials, and manufacturing so if there's an issue we absolutely want to see it so we can identify any weaknesses and improve!
Impressive. Great business practice. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 05-17-2018, 04:55 AM
AhsanU
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Guess I'll chime in!

I went with a very outlandish setup that most of you guys probably wouldn't ever do, but it suits my desires and the purpose of the car - daily driven with loads of flare. I wanted Dundon's long tube headers (absolutely love what the guys are doing there and Jamie is an outstanding gentleman) but my wife purchased Fabspeed's LTH instead as a birthday gift and I simply could not refuse. I'm eternally grateful to have a lady that even buys car parts to begin with, so I can't be fussy here! I combo'd Fabspeed's headers with SOUL Performance's center muffler bypass and holy dog flippin' donkey **** it's loud. My threshold for loud cars is very high so it's perfectly fine for me. My daily commutes are anywhere between 10-30 minutes and for those short bursts - it's amazing. It's actually not as bad as everyone would think; all it takes is a bit of adaptation with your right foot in order to make the highway drives enjoyable. Can't really stay below 3k RPM as the drone on throttle is bad but when you're off the throttle or above 3k RPM - it's great. There loads of NVH issues but such is expected going with a fully catless setup.

The gentleman that test drove the car after installation of the headers absolutely loved it. He described it as feeling a kick in your heart when you get on the throttle and hit 9k RPM - I'm inclined to agree. The day the exhaust was installed, a 991.2 GT3 was also getting a full Kline exhaust done (OMGT3's car) and the sound comparison was ridiculous. The Kline exhaust sounds great in its own right but the raucous sound of LTH with a CMB makes it no comparison as to which sounds better in my ears. My setup is definitely a bit over the top, but I love it.

Anyway, on to a quick clip! Quality is crap because most of the clips were recorded on my phone and a GoPro. The clip where my car is on the dyno - I had to stand significantly farther back because it was too loud to be near.

Cheers!
Old 05-17-2018, 01:49 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,457 Likes on 760 Posts

^That is loud
Old 05-17-2018, 02:01 PM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Received 250 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by drdonger
Here are some vids with the valves disconnectes. A little drone with rhe valves disconnected, but no drone with them connected.

https://youtu.be/CmMeXbviNBI

https://youtu.be/I5F_ve8UKA8

https://youtu.be/1Sog-wrGXts

https://youtu.be/LHQM2rSiQNg

It sounds a lot better in person. The videos don’t capture it well.
That Doc sounds the absolute business!

Quick Reply: Best Exhaust for a 991.2 GT3