991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Exhaust for a 991.2 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2018 | 05:11 PM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

I’m doing Dundon Race headers (thanks to a great RL member). Waiting my car though. ETA September Eventually, I might pair it up with the Dundon (black) or Akrapovic center muffler.
Old 05-28-2018 | 05:15 PM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Autoquest Motorsport
Any chance those side muffler bypass pipes will factory center mufflers the same as your lifetime center muffler?
Yes sir. We offer them in two flavors. OEM and 3” for use exclusively with our center mufflers. Our center mufflers come with adapters for the OEM 63mm inlet size, and our optional 3” diameter, Since our headers and side deletes are 3” with 3” valves and our muffler is 3” internally it made sense to keep the flow path open and offer the side deletes with full 3” option.

Old 05-28-2018 | 05:18 PM
Autoquest Motorsport
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Yes sir. We offer them in two flavors. OEM and 3” for use exclusively with our center mufflers. Our center mufflers come with adapters for the OEM 63mm inlet size, and our optional 3” diameter, Since our headers and side deletes are 3” with 3” valves and our muffler is 3” internally it made sense to keep the flow path open and offer the side deletes with full 3” option.
Fantastic, well done Jamie I'll keep that in mind for our future builds
Old 05-28-2018 | 05:19 PM
Autoquest Motorsport
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by GT3
I’m doing Dundon Race headers (thanks to a great RL member). Waiting my car though. ETA September Eventually, I might pair it up with the Dundon (black) or Akrapovic center muffler.
I heard PhilT3's Dundon Race Header/Black CM setup at Smokies...most epic sounding setup I've heard to date. If I ditched my Cayman R for a GT3 that's the setup I'd be running, no if/and/buts about it.
Old 05-28-2018 | 05:50 PM
Mr. Turtles
Pro

Are there any systems that are on or off - at full throttle? I need to be able to keep it under 92db at our home track. My friend has a Cayman race car with an exhaust that is controlled by a button to either force the exhaust through the mufflers - quiet - or through straight pipe - very loud. I have not seen anything like this yet for the GT3. I know some guys are forcing closed their exhaust manually or lifting on the track at certain points to get around noise violations which I don't want to do. Any ideas for always on / off type system through the push of a button?
Old 05-28-2018 | 07:22 PM
Autoquest Motorsport
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Mr. Turtles
Are there any systems that are on or off - at full throttle? I need to be able to keep it under 92db at our home track. My friend has a Cayman race car with an exhaust that is controlled by a button to either force the exhaust through the mufflers - quiet - or through straight pipe - very loud. I have not seen anything like this yet for the GT3. I know some guys are forcing closed their exhaust manually or lifting on the track at certain points to get around noise violations which I don't want to do. Any ideas for always on / off type system through the push of a button?
Yes you can override the PSE controls with a valve controller kit, but you have to be cautious. I'd never run a factory center muffler valves closed for an extended amount of time at high rpm load, the pressure will be too much for the center muffler to hold up and I'm sure not the best thing for the engine. There is a reason those valves open at a particular rpm under load, and it's not just for more sound. What you would want to do is find a center muffler that has the flow/pressure/strength characteristics you can run at WOT while still meeting DB limitations. The only one on the market that I know of that meets each of these requirements is Dundon's "Orange" Lifetime Center Muffler. That is what will meet your goals.

Last edited by Autoquest Motorsport; 05-28-2018 at 07:44 PM.
Old 05-28-2018 | 08:08 PM
Mr. Turtles
Pro

Thanks John, appreciate the advice as I had heard too much back pressure was not good. I'll check with Jamie a Dundon about the set up I'm looking for.
Old 05-29-2018 | 10:42 AM
AutoQuest Motorsports
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Mr. Turtles
Thanks John, appreciate the advice as I had heard too much back pressure was not good. I'll check with Jamie a Dundon about the set up I'm looking for.
No problem I'm happy to help. If Jamie isn't available, give me shout any time at 484 883 6197 I'd be happy to have it dropshipped to you Plus I'm curious about the background of the "Mr. Turtles" name so we can talk about that too lol
Old 05-29-2018 | 10:49 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
My friend has the Cargraphics side delete on his 1.1 GT3, and it’s not significantly louder (if at all) than my car with center bypass. It does sound different though.

If I were to do it all over again I think I would do a side delete (with functioning valves).
Thanks. Good to know. I will check them out.

Originally Posted by Autoquest Motorsport
Well said. Although not a crazy difference, there is a notable difference between cabin presence on any exhaust upgrades between the 997 and 991 generation

If you care at all about the cabin presence in the car, I wouldn't recommend combining side and center muffler bypass pipes. That is essentially the same as running a competition exhaust system pictured below, and you'll want to stay in the higher rpms with that system on the street. Great setup for track only guys that want to keep factory headers but ditch a lot of weight (about 55lbs).
Okay thanks.

Valved side deletes are the way to go if you don’t want headers. Less heat, less weight, no drone. Sound level is more but in a good way. You can couple the side deletes with a Dundon Lifetime Quiet muffler to keep the dB’s down or go for more sound with a Dundon’s Lifetime Loud Muffler.

Our valved side deletes are finishing in production in the next few weeks. We’ve been ramping production on mufflers and are finally starting to catch up. As soon as we have some on the shelf we’ll offer the valved side deletes and lifetime center muffler package. All 321 Stainless and guaranteed forever!
Sounds good Jamie.
Old 05-29-2018 | 12:17 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Jamie, did you guys ever get a 991.2 GT3 on the dyno with the race headers? Also did you get the CEL situation figured out with the .2's? Thanks
Old 05-30-2018 | 08:21 PM
juanpablo046
Racer

This is the Akrapovic, I'm waiting for it to be delivered
Old 05-30-2018 | 08:32 PM
Jimmy-D
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by juanpablo046

Interested in how this will sound

Is this all titanium?

Do you know how many mm are the tips??
Old 05-30-2018 | 10:20 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Interested in how this will sound

Is this all titanium?

Do you know how many mm are the tips??
I have the same questions. It does appear to be another center x-pipe type as opposed to their previous slip on center section.
Old 05-30-2018 | 11:49 PM
audiophilitis
Racer

Originally Posted by juanpablo046

did you order the carbon fiber trim as well? i had the akra slip-on on my 997.2 GT3, with the carbon trim/heat shield and it looked nice. the akra tips look very nice as well.

please post an update when you get the unit -- also interested on how it sounds. thx
Old 05-31-2018 | 12:35 AM
juanpablo046
Racer

Originally Posted by djcxxx

I have the same questions. It does appear to be another center x-pipe type as opposed to their previous slip on center section.
100% titanium, same tips actually, they use the same part number

Quick Reply: Best Exhaust for a 991.2 GT3