Sponsored by:

Best Exhaust for a 991.2 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 01:58 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,026 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by juanpablo046
I ordered one and one of my friends also (Slip On Race), I'll have some material posted as soon as we received them. Should be in june.

If we install more parts woudl be only after we try the Slip On Race alone

How much ballpark is the NEW bypass slip on? Has to be a little less than the full slip on muffler they previously made.
Old 04-13-2018, 02:43 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

In our Porsche world it seems that less always costs more, sometimes a lot more!!
Old 04-13-2018, 02:44 PM
BBiAutosport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 552 Likes on 317 Posts

991.2 GT3 Screaming at 9k with GRP's Center Section at DDW Partners

View this post on Instagram

- jerry@bbiautosport.com

Bringing Passion, Artistry, Craft to the Porsche Tuning Industry
Southern California's Porsche Performance Tuning, Engine Development,
ECU Software Tuning, Custom Fabrication, Race Preparation & Factory Service Center
Website: www.bbiautosport.com Email: sales@bbiautosport.com Phone: (714) 843-0200
Follow Us On: Facebook & Instagram
Old 04-13-2018, 02:55 PM
Johnny5Alive
Burning Brakes

Received 327 Likes on 132 Posts

I barely have 300 miles on my car so I’m not changing from OEM any time soon, as I like to experience the difference, but I’m curious about a few things.

I love akrapovic on my Ducati’s but not sure if the extra expense is worth it over some of the other more simple Center muffler deletes. It seems the akra slip on is roughly $5k? Can’t seem to find clear pricing on that. I’d imagine the full system doubles that price.

I’ve had some nice conversations with GMG and they seem like a stand up operation. I asked them to compare their product to sharkwerks which they were very complimentary to sharkwerks and then explained the added cost of their unit. I’m very likely to go that route as I liked their communication and honesty. I also like that they’re a race shop who uses their products on track.

Then there’s GRP/BBI. They seem to advertise a ton. Newer to market? But their unit looks oddly similar to GMG. Why would one choose their unit over GMG? Seems to be identically priced.

I’m no expert, but GMG has been around longer, can anyone tell me why they chose GRP/BBI over GMG?
Old 04-13-2018, 03:02 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny5Alive
I barely have 300 miles on my car so I’m not changing from OEM any time soon, as I like to experience the difference, but I’m curious about a few things.

I love akrapovic on my Ducati’s but not sure if the extra expense is worth it over some of the other more simple Center muffler deletes. It seems the akra slip on is roughly $5k? Can’t seem to find clear pricing on that. I’d imagine the full system doubles that price.

I’ve had some nice conversations with GMG and they seem like a stand up operation. I asked them to compare their product to sharkwerks which they were very complimentary to sharkwerks and then explained the added cost of their unit. I’m very likely to go that route as I liked their communication and honesty. I also like that they’re a race shop who uses their products on track.

Then there’s GRP/BBI. They seem to advertise a ton. Newer to market? But their unit looks oddly similar to GMG. Why would one choose their unit over GMG? Seems to be identically priced.

I’m no expert, but GMG has been around longer, can anyone tell me why they chose GRP/BBI over GMG?
I have been a GMG customer for 10 years. Their products and customer service is great. Call and ask for Dom or James the owner. I have my new GMG center section ready to go when my car arrives.
Old 04-13-2018, 03:21 PM
Johnny5Alive
Burning Brakes

Received 327 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by 0to60
I have been a GMG customer for 10 years. Their products and customer service is great. Call and ask for Dom or James the owner. I have my new GMG center section ready to go when my car arrives.
You’re in Vegas right? Do you have a car that’s currently equipped with GMG? If so, I’d be curious to hear it in person.
Old 04-13-2018, 03:35 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny5Alive
You’re in Vegas right? Do you have a car that’s currently equipped with GMG? If so, I’d be curious to hear it in person.
Yes I'm in Las Vegas
I traded my 15 GT3 last year, waiting on my new GT3. I currently have a brand new GMG in my garage waiting to mount. The GMG is a very deep sound, I really like it.
Attached Images  
Old 04-13-2018, 03:46 PM
juanpablo046
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by sechsgang
How much ballpark is the NEW bypass slip on? Has to be a little less than the full slip on muffler they previously made.
30% less aprox.
Old 04-13-2018, 03:47 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,457 Likes on 760 Posts

I believe GMG and GRP/BBI have the best Bypasses on the market.

Go with who you are most comfortable.

But - they are not that similar in design but their Pipe sizes looks very similar so I would expect their sound to be close.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:58 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,026 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by juanpablo046
30% less aprox.

Oh wow, that's significant. If that piece ends up fitting to the older .1 RS I'm doing it without a doubt.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:23 PM
juanpablo046
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by sechsgang
Oh wow, that's significant. If that piece ends up fitting to the older .1 RS I'm doing it without a doubt.
I don't see why not! We will have more info in the next couple of months for sure
Old 04-17-2018, 11:17 AM
IRguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After long consideration I just ordered the GMG bypass. (by the way excellent customer service!) Then I realized I want their headers too. I looked at the Dundon headers with 200cell cats and I have seen a torque dip on their torque curve which was not present on the race headers tracing (no cats) All this was done on the 991.1 engine. Do you guys think the 4.0L 991.2 engine will have this dip on the torque curve? Every headers with cats will produce that? Will the center bypass plus headers will make this phenomena better or worse?
Thanks
Old 04-17-2018, 12:18 PM
JCN83
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Just took delivery of my .2 last week and had the dealer install the GRP.

RAD. Couldn't be happier. Brings the car to life!

Haven't had the car over 5k RPM's yet so I can't wait to hear it really scream...
Old 04-17-2018, 02:40 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 94 Posts

Had the pleasure of attending the Grand Prix of Long Beach this past weekend as a guest of BMW for winning a driving contest. Anyway, reading up on the BMW race team, I realized the Rahal family are the principals. So, I shot an email to Graham thanking him again for his incredible GRP/BBi exhaust and let him know I was in Long Beach.

He emailed me back and invited me to swing by the Paddock where the Indy team was set-up for the weekend. I finally made it over there Saturday afternoon about 45 minutes before Graham had to qualify for the race on Sunday. My wife and I both had the pleasure of meeting him. Very friendly and gracious and we really appreciated him taking the time out of his very busy race weekend to spend a little time with us. Great guy and made my purchase of their awesome exhaust bypass that much cooler.

Anyone on the fence, you just can’t go wrong with their system or customer service. I’ve had 5 track days so far with this bypass and it just sounds incredible at full wail at the track and it’s very civil around town when the sport button isn’t pushed and I’m not ripping for redline. Completes the 991.2 GT3 for me.

Fast forward to the middle part of the video for the full throttle sound. I had an external microphone tucked down into the cargo net in the passenger footwell to try to cut down on wind noise. That slight resonance is only the microphone as there is ZERO untoward sound or resonance in person.

Old 04-17-2018, 02:41 PM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 370 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by IRguy
After long consideration I just ordered the GMG bypass. (by the way excellent customer service!) Then I realized I want their headers too. I looked at the Dundon headers with 200cell cats and I have seen a torque dip on their torque curve which was not present on the race headers tracing (no cats) All this was done on the 991.1 engine. Do you guys think the 4.0L 991.2 engine will have this dip on the torque curve? Every headers with cats will produce that? Will the center bypass plus headers will make this phenomena better or worse?
Thanks
Our 991.2 GT3 is inbound and new dyno's will be done. In our experience if the banks are not sufficiently merged the dips get worse...
jamie@dundonmotorsports.com

www.dundonmotorsports.com
Facebook.com/dundonmotorsports
Instagram @dundon_motorsports

Quick Reply: Best Exhaust for a 991.2 GT3