Best Exhaust for a 991.2 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 02:14 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by BrntRubber

That Doc sounds the absolute business!

Thank you! I highly recommend it. It ticks all the boxes.

1. Great build quality
2. Great sound
3. Lose 40 lbs off the rear of the car
4. Decrease heat to the rear tires because of side muffler delete
5. Valves to eliminate drone and also a quiet mode when you want to be discreet.

I would am contemplating race headers for just a little bit more sound and more power. Those that want something slightly louder than a rear bypass with the benefits of a side bypass and oem valve. IPE is the way to go. Don't listen to the forum nonsense about it being a crap produce just because it is produced in Taiwan.
Old 05-17-2018, 02:26 PM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Received 250 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by drdonger
Thank you! I highly recommend it. It ticks all the boxes.

1. Great build quality
2. Great sound
3. Lose 40 lbs off the rear of the car
4. Decrease heat to the rear tires because of side muffler delete
5. Valves to eliminate drone and also a quiet mode when you want to be discreet.

I would am contemplating race headers for just a little bit more sound and more power. Those that want something slightly louder than a rear bypass with the benefits of a side bypass and oem valve. IPE is the way to go. Don't listen to the forum nonsense about it being a crap produce just because it is produced in Taiwan.
This is pushing me over the edge.

I will have to return to stock before every service. Any idea on how many hours it took to fit it?
Old 05-17-2018, 02:38 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,457 Likes on 760 Posts

I will have to return to stock before every service. Any idea on how many hours it took to fit it?
Why?? You are not screwing with the ECU so really does not matter. If you were putting on a Tune i get it but Porsche does not scan ECU for even oil changes like Audi does
Old 05-17-2018, 02:51 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

You don't have to. My dealer said it was fine. Also spoke to an attorney friend. They said PCNA would have to show that your modification caused a fault that lead to any warranty issues. It took me about 4 hours total to install and adjust the tips perfectly.
Old 05-17-2018, 03:32 PM
AutoQuest Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by aalencar
Man, this is so confusing. While I am pretty happy with the sound at higher rev, it is a little underwhelming at lower speeds.

Since I use the car for both street/highway driving and on track I would not mind some gains in power (do I really need it though) and really like the idea of weight saving and heat sparing from the side deletes. But would hate any drone.

Not sure I care that much about the use of the sport exhaust button as the more I think of it the more I realize it is pretty useless. But would want to have the car civilized enough for wife mode, bluetooth and radio use on highway.

Oh, really do not want to deal with CEL or risk my warranty. Dont really want/need to think about emissions...

Dundon appears like a cool option. Or this new akrapovic system. Or maybe I got it all wrong. In the end I feel it is just easier to leave the OEM. Porsche probably spent at least a few more hours trying to find this current balance than what I have spent trying to figure this out...
Give me a call buddy lol. Every combo has it's own little experience, I'll get you all sorted out : )

Originally Posted by wurlie
While I do appreciate the ease of use of the center delete, it offers very little aside from a slightly different sound and a marginal weight reduction. If one chooses to keep OEM headers and cat to avoid potential (though not certain) CEL issues, replacing side mufflers with connection pipes that have vacuum activated valves leads to ~25kg weight reduction, with stock rear muffler in place.
I have done just that - it is a superior solution in my view.
Originally Posted by Dougr743
I have spend too much time listening, following, and debating what to get. I went with side delete fabspeed with valves. Heard them, sound great, the transition is so much less than with the center delete and is louder without a boomy sound. Its clean too. Nothing against the center delete, side delete just seems like the path of least resistance and simplifies the muffler mess. the side mufflers annoy me.lol May add the catless header at some point is i choose to
Originally Posted by hayn911gt3
I was looking at going this way as well with the Fabspeed valved side deletes. I heard good things and the product is top notch. Can you post some vids of how it sounds and looks when you can. Thanks.
wurlie, dougr743, hayn911gt3 we have installed exhausts on close to a dozen .2 GT3's over the last few months and numerous 991's over the last few years. For track guys, the best ROI are the side muffler bypass pipes. More sound, and you drop a lot of weight that you can feel on track and less heat. Most of our guys run non-valved as they use their cars little outside the track. For street guys, valved side muffler bypass pipes provide a good bit less drone. For those looking for power improvement, that's in the headers and it will come with more sound but you must keep in mind that when running higher flowing headers that factory center muffler takes a beating. There is a high likelihood it could fail and blow out as Many have experienced, so it needs to be upgraded and Dundon's center muffler is very impressive in it's design.

Originally Posted by AhsanU
Guess I'll chime in!

I went with a very outlandish setup that most of you guys probably wouldn't ever do, but it suits my desires and the purpose of the car - daily driven with loads of flare. I wanted Dundon's long tube headers (absolutely love what the guys are doing there and Jamie is an outstanding gentleman) but my wife purchased Fabspeed's LTH instead as a birthday gift and I simply could not refuse. I'm eternally grateful to have a lady that even buys car parts to begin with, so I can't be fussy here! I combo'd Fabspeed's headers with SOUL Performance's center muffler bypass and holy dog flippin' donkey **** it's loud. My threshold for loud cars is very high so it's perfectly fine for me. My daily commutes are anywhere between 10-30 minutes and for those short bursts - it's amazing. It's actually not as bad as everyone would think; all it takes is a bit of adaptation with your right foot in order to make the highway drives enjoyable. Can't really stay below 3k RPM as the drone on throttle is bad but when you're off the throttle or above 3k RPM - it's great. There loads of NVH issues but such is expected going with a fully catless setup.

The gentleman that test drove the car after installation of the headers absolutely loved it. He described it as feeling a kick in your heart when you get on the throttle and hit 9k RPM - I'm inclined to agree. The day the exhaust was installed, a 991.2 GT3 was also getting a full Kline exhaust done (OMGT3's car) and the sound comparison was ridiculous. The Kline exhaust sounds great in its own right but the raucous sound of LTH with a CMB makes it no comparison as to which sounds better in my ears. My setup is definitely a bit over the top, but I love it.

Anyway, on to a quick clip! Quality is crap because most of the clips were recorded on my phone and a GoPro. The clip where my car is on the dyno - I had to stand significantly farther back because it was too loud to be near.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffef6LPjt1Y

Cheers!
LOL you are a maniac I love it! One of these days I'd like to hear that fly by at WOT on the track, and I promise not to wear ear plugs : )

You don't have to. My dealer said it was fine. Also spoke to an attorney friend. They said PCNA would have to show that your modification caused a fault that lead to any warranty issues. It took me about 4 hours total to install and adjust the tips perfectly.
Magnusson Moss Act for the win ; )
Old 05-17-2018, 05:06 PM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Why?? You are not screwing with the ECU so really does not matter. If you were putting on a Tune i get it but Porsche does not scan ECU for even oil changes like Audi does
My UK dealer in London said any modification to the exhaust can impact my warranty and that they don’t advise I risk it. I am considered a high value customer so this worries me.

I was going to go full Dundon or follow
DrDonger path, but am worried about spending a large amount switching the full exhaust every time I take it in.

I asked my salesman and I also asked the dealer manager who is a really nice guy. They know I am buying 4 cars this year alone and the sound really matters.

He said if something goes wrong and it involves the exhaust I am taking a big risk. He also said they had one customer in the past that had an issue somehow involving the aftermarket exhaust and they did not honour the warranty.

Any advice?

Can any UK guys give some insight as I really want to pull the trigger right now?

can Dundon make a custom connection with their headers and the Ipe system?

Old 05-17-2018, 05:16 PM
AutoQuest Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

My UK dealer in London said any modification to the exhaust can impact my warranty and that they don’t advise I risk it. I am considered a high value customer so this worries me.

I was going to go full Dundon or follow
DrDonger path, but am worried about spending a large amount switching the full exhaust every time I take it in.

I asked my salesman and I also asked the dealer manager who is a really nice guy. They know I am buying 4 cars this year alone and the sound really matters.

He said if something goes wrong and it involves the exhaust I am taking a big risk. He also said they had one customer in the past that had an issue somehow involving the aftermarket exhaust and they did not honour the warranty.

Any advice?

Can any UK guys give some insight as I really want to pull the trigger right now?

can Dundon make a custom connection with their headers and the Ipe system?

Magic Rat runs exhausts on his cars and is in the UK. Might try giving him a shout and asking his advice. Also, take into consideration these cars are built like tanks. The likelihood of you having a warranty issue is relatively slim. If putting an exhaust on the car is going to make or break the driving experience for you, I would put on the exhaust and in the very rare chance anything comes up with the warranty you play your relationship with the dealership and get it taken care of.
Old 05-18-2018, 05:02 AM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by AutoQuest Motorsports
Magic Rat runs exhausts on his cars and is in the UK. Might try giving him a shout and asking his advice. Also, take into consideration these cars are built like tanks. The likelihood of you having a warranty issue is relatively slim. If putting an exhaust on the car is going to make or break the driving experience for you, I would put on the exhaust and in the very rare chance anything comes up with the warranty you play your relationship with the dealership and get it taken care of.
Thank you! I will message him now.
Old 05-18-2018, 05:04 PM
WheelsB
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 971 Likes on 486 Posts

I am following your mods very closey bud, as I am looking for a very similar setup. Keep on posting and good luck with the custom pipes.
Any videos of the sound?
what exhaust is that? Flame thrower feature is a bonus.
Shoot me over a message on Whatsapp BR so I cna provide you with details, you have my number!
It was a pleasure working with you on this! The videos sound incredible. I'm happy that you're please with the purchase

Wheels Boutique // 786 249 0127 // Sales@wheelsboutique.com
Follow us on YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/WheelsBoutique
Largest Dealer In The World for HRE Wheels, ANRKY Wheels, Vorsteiner Wheels & Aero, Akrapovic Exhaust, & iPE Exhaust
BBS, Forgeline, & TechArt Premium Dealer
Brembo / Rotiform / KW / H&R / Novitec / Brabus / Mansory and tons more...
Old 05-18-2018, 05:34 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

Warranty claims are the purview of the manufacturer, not the dealers. There are consumer protection laws in the US that protect against capricious warranty denials, placing a burden of proof on the manufacturer for denial rather than consumer for acceptance of claims. Consumer protection outside US may be very different. As a general rule the less impact a modification has to the overall configuration and function of the OEM equipment, the less potential for warranty coverage contention.
Old 05-20-2018, 01:40 PM
juanpablo046
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

I have the Akrapovic system on order, they say it should arrive first week of june, I'll keep you posted
Old 05-26-2018, 09:05 AM
Dougr743
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

Just had my side deletes installed, fabspeed valved, top 3 things i notice
1. louder, but different sound, more raspy, less tingy, smoother sound, and smoother transition from the valves,
2. to me, much less boomy than a center delete, it doesn't have a "glass pack" sound, more race car (only way to explain how it sounds to me)
3. It sounds clean, the sound is linear, doesn't sound like 2 different pitches, doesn't change when valves open, but enhances and is louder and has a purr to it,

The Fabspeed guys were great! I am very happy with the product, and will probably put the headers and some kind of rear muffler in the future.

I will try and make a video, I have no skills in this department and the only thing i have is an iPhone to record it, so will update soon
Old 05-26-2018, 09:08 AM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

1. louder, but different sound, more raspy, less tingy, smoother sound, and smoother transition from the valves,
2. to me, much less boomy than a center delete, it doesn't have a "glass pack" sound, more race car (only way to explain how it sounds to me)
3. It sounds clean, the sound is linear, doesn't sound like 2 different pitches, doesn't change when valves open, but enhances and is louder and has a purr to it,

The Fabspeed guys were great! I am very happy with the product, and will probably put the headers and some kind of rear muffler in the future.

I will try and make a video, I have no skills in this department and the only thing i have is an iPhone to record it, so will update soon
May I ask the time and cost of having it fitted?
Old 05-26-2018, 09:20 AM
Dougr743
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

I had my dealer do it, took car in for a post check up they offer for free, it was 500 bucks aprox, to install. Took 2 hours maybe. I just don't have jacks or a lift (new garage in the next 6 month to solve this issue.lol) Then they did an over all inspection of the car, fluids etc etc, test drove it after exhaust, then a wash, So total time in the dealer was 3 hours. So, 2 hours safe to say.
Old 05-26-2018, 11:54 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

Dougr, thank you for posting. I've slowly moved from "just throw a center delete on it" to thinking your solution is ideal. I fly back to Europe to drive my baby on Monday, and after that I finally get to put here on a ship to come stateside.. may order this in meantime.

Quick Reply: Best Exhaust for a 991.2 GT3