Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: 0-60mph in 1.9 sec. for $200k. How does Tesla Roadster Change Things?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 03:46 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
Allow me a brief sidetrack for a candid moment.

It seems clear that any mention on Telsa brings out a political (almost religious) fervor, as though many have mentally either shorted or gone long on Telsa stock. However the key to smart investing it objectivity.

As the CTO and technical founder of a VC backed technology startup in the energy space that's currently worth half a billion and counting I kid myself that I have some perspective on this subject. I also own an electric car (not a Tesla) and know a number of people involved in the business (including a Tesla founder). A few thoughts on some of the themes mentioned here:

1. "Telsa's business model is a pyramid scheme". Venture backed startups are unnatural. They are high risk, high reward, and by definition ahead of their time. If the mainstream "gets it" someone would have done it already. The model is to put resources behind businesses others don't see as viable in order to get a significant market lead. In other words the conflict on display here is inevitable: if everyone agreed Telsa was great it wouldn't be Venture.

2. "Telsa is not executing well". I've made the mistake of believing this as well. Back when Tesla launched the roadster they kept braking 2 speed gearboxes leading to reliability issues and delays. They contracted two outside firms to make new gearboxes at incredible expense but neither were able to. Eventually they flushed that money down the toilet and dropped the two-speed gearbox entirely. It was a clear engineering failure and the wasted money was appalling. I feel two lessons should be learned, however: One must first keep in mind that setbacks are not just unavoidable but required when you're pushing the limits at this rate, and the only way to avoid exposing customers to them is to slow down. Second is that one shouldn't only focus on the current apparent issue (ie battery production issues on the Model 3). At the time Telsa was dealing with those gearbox issues they were actually focusing their real effort on finalizing the Model S, a car that the industry still hasn't caught up to nearly 5 years later. From my perspective Tesla has executed well overall. With an inside perspective I can name a dozen mistakes, but generally their failures are the types of errors they should be making for a company in their position. (Their insistence on complete vertical integration excepted IMHO.)

3. "Telsa's been successful due to government subsidies". Largely agreed, but that's what subsidies are for. Tesla's turned that government investment into a significant, durable lead. A supercharger network that's the envy of other manufactures and will take significant time and money to replicate. Vertically integrated battery manufacture than will give them a long-term cost advantage. A strong brand with many satisfied customers (where are all the dissatisfied customers if it's so crap?). Proof of their success is that many German luxury brands are both openly envious and threatened, admitting they took their eye off the ball and must now play catch-up. If it's successful in breaking into that market the government's investment will look like a bargain, particularly when compared to other countries efforts (ie China's ongoing $1 Billion plus per quarter purchase of the Photovoltaic panel market). And at the end of the Telsa investment signs suggest to me (and the market, apparently) Tesla will have built a durable business that stands on its own two feet.

4. "Elon Musk is a charlatan". Do I believe him when he announces a ship date? Not in the slightest. But like many great leaders he clearly reaches for the stars and then settles for the moon. Steve Jobs was no different (internal to Apple). Adrian Newey (genius F1 car aerodynamicist and designer) is notorious for over-reaching: the engineers working with him add 20% in strength to whatever parts he specifies. And much like Musk the results still beat the competition (given an engine, anyway). Results speak for themselves across multiple industries, though the guys clearly also makes mistakes.

5. "Tesla stock is over-valued". Yes. Of course with a stock price like that and accesses to enough cheap capitol things begin to become a self-fulfilling prophesy.

6. "Electric will never work long term, fuel cells are the future, etc". Being in the technology business and making a living largely by my technical crystal ball I can't agree. I could always be wrong and perhaps you believe yourself better positioned, but I get paid well to do this and technically I believe the writing's on the wall. The world crossed 10 GW of PV installed (cumulatively) in 2008. In 2017 alone we're installing over 100 GW, roughly 10% of peak total US demand, and PV has become the cheapest source of electricity in much of the world. IMHO electric vehicles are perfectly positioned to take advantage of that technical shift.

So to me many of the comments here sound like spin and parroting rather than consider criticism by individuals with an informed perspective on the field. As a technology professional in a tangentially related area I feel I understand better than most what Musk has accomplished, and while he's undoubtedly highly flawed I feel many of those attacking him are very far off in the weeds with some of their comments. We shall see how things play out, but I'll point out that most shorting detractors would have long since lost any bankroll to put their money where their mouths are.
Really Appreciate your thoughts Pete. Very informative.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:05 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

This thread will be a fascinating read in a few years time. That people can look at the current environment and suggest EV is not the future is astounding. I have no fixed views on Telsa, and I cant stand EV cars, but they absolutely will wipe the floor with petrol/gas based cars in the future. If youre not convinced, talk to young people about what cars excite them, and then look at whats in the pipelines of all the major manufacturers.

- fuel cell may be a better technology but so was the Beta video recorder
- EV cars through load shifting deliver a net reduction in peak load requirements
- PVs and other renewables are growing exponentially
- key markets such as Europe, California, and China are driving to zero emissions

Its a done deal, if you havent realised this you havent analysed the environment well enough.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:07 AM
Golden Boy
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
My god, we really do need a sarcasm button eh?.. could I make the joking more obvious by saying it would fly? And to answer your question... no deposit. I m not an early adopter and while I ve ridden in a tesla, I prefer to wait for multiple iterations of a car to see that it works before jumping on.

Damn it, you exposed me!.. all these years building this image as a diehard NA & Manual transmission undercover persona, and I finally go active as a TSLA stock promoter and you caught me. Argh... foiled again!!!

Ok. Seriously though, you re new here, I get it.

But I m quite confused how any tesla slinger like me would get paid by tax dollars.. that part I actually take you seriously on and find intriguing

Also... both of you read Petevb s post above, when he writes, it s usually quite instructive. The tesla story, the electric car revolution, the power of growing an impossible idea.. cool concepts to explore, not disdain because you don t understand them.

we do need a sarcasm button
Old 11-21-2017, 09:01 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,054 Likes on 565 Posts

Pete (Petevb),

Well said. Thank you for taking the time to post that. You have raised some very good points.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:10 AM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Received 422 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
Really Appreciate your thoughts Pete. Very informative.
Totally agree with this. Thanks Pete for your insights!

Bish
Old 11-21-2017, 12:02 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,378 Likes on 2,491 Posts

Yup, Pete's posts are always well-informed and informative. 'When Pete talks, people listen'.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:06 PM
rsierra
Banned

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Pete, my guess is you work at a solar panel company that may be valued at a half billion but has probably never had positive cash flow. So your comments likely need to be taken with a grain of salt. EV's may or may not become the norm (I don't believe they will) IC engines will continue to get more efficient and that technology will not go down without a fight.

If EV's do become more popular, the competition will be fierce. Are you going to buy a Tesla or a significantly better engineered Porsche, Audi, MB, GM, or Japanese electric car?
Old 11-21-2017, 12:13 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,256 Posts

Originally Posted by jujak
yea.... lets see when they actually have an actual pre production car that can do what Elon claims it can do... Right now its just a bunch of numbers on a website to generate hype.
Pretty much.
I'd really like to know how you can have a range of 620 miles on a car that does 0-60 in 1.9 seconds*.
Something tells me that there will be an asterisk in that claim.

Elon seems to get bored easily, and jumps around from one project to another.

Tesla just got done burning thru $1.4 BILLION of cash in Q3 and for the first time in the company's history, Musk was actually speechless for 12 straight seconds (during their recent earnings conference call) in regards to a comment by a security analyst who remarked about how this is the first time that he's ever heard Musk wanting to "throttle back" production and become capital outlay conscious. Tesla has had all kinds of production issues and has been unable to execute.
This sportscar seems to be more "pie in the sky".

2020?
I'll believe it when I see it.

IMO, that's a very tall order... especially given the company's cash burn, labor issues, supply chain issues, and inability to execute and meet production estimates.
The only thing that is keeping them alive are idiots in the high-yield market who think that loaning Tesla money at 5% is a great deal. In fact,
Tesla's financial engineering has been almost as brilliant as their automotive design.

But let's face it, they had $3.5 billion in unrestricted cash on hand at the end of September. That means that within just 2 quarters, they will be once again tapping the high-yield debt market in the U.S. which is filled with a bunch of idiots who have nothing better to do but lend Tesla money at 5%, even though they have a nearly $10 Billion debt load, including convertibles. In Europe, investors will pony up to buy those bonds at half that 5% return. - - - But at some point, the music stops in the high-yield market and everyone wonders where their chair is. Musk might have to raise more capital via selling stock in a secondary offering.... and that won't be good for the share price.

Meanwhile, the company is skipping the traditional practice long held by industry norms of testing a new model's production line by building vehicles with relatively cheap prototype tools designed to be scrapped once they deliver doors that fit, body panels with the right shape, and dashboards that don't have gaps or seams. Tesla is skipping this preliminary step and order permanent, more expensive equipment as it races to launch the Model 3. This is obviously a HUGE risk.

Tesla is extremely challenged right now, to say the least.
They are taking way too long to get their cars to the market place.

Even Musk admitted that they probably shouldn't have made the "X" and should have just modified the Model S.
The parts and features on the "X" were terribly difficult to build... and really wound up costing Tesla in many many ways.
In the meantime, other automakers in the EV/Hybrid space are building a ton of momentum and may pass Tesla like they are standing still.

Let's revisit this thread in a year.

Last edited by Diablo Dude; 11-21-2017 at 01:50 PM.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:29 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by rsierra
Pete, my guess is you work at a solar panel company that may be valued at a half billion but has probably never had positive cash flow.
Bad guess. In fact we're in oil and gas, so Tesla's/ electric's success is not in our best interest. Selfishly I would wish that your prognostications about ICE winning played out, but the synergy between PV and EVs is causing the smart money to move towards quicker EV adoption, not slower. Batteries used in cars become grid connected peaking storage for PV at end of life, etc.

Re ICE getting more efficient, they've been managing to squeeze a bit over 1% more mechanical energy per year out of a gallon of gas over the last 20 years. Meanwhile the cost of electricity from PV has been declining at over 10% per year. The most recent record power purchase agreement for PV came in a 1.79 cents per kwh, likely roughly 1/10th of what you're paying on your electric bill. Projecting the math is fairly straightforward.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:50 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 295 Posts

Pete, since you're in the energy business, is there any hope of a second coming of the combustion engine where it would be powered by hydrogen, which burns like a mother****er and should make for some pretty awesome power unit?

That's what I was thought hydrogen cars were going to be, not some lame-*** mini electric power plants inside the car.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:20 PM
rsierra
Banned

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
Bad guess. In fact we're in oil and gas, so Tesla's/ electric's success is not in our best interest. Selfishly I would wish that your prognostications about ICE winning played out, but the synergy between PV and EVs is causing the smart money to move towards quicker EV adoption, not slower. Batteries used in cars become grid connected peaking storage for PV at end of life, etc.

Re ICE getting more efficient, they've been managing to squeeze a bit over 1% more mechanical energy per year out of a gallon of gas over the last 20 years. Meanwhile the cost of electricity from PV has been declining at over 10% per year. The most recent record power purchase agreement for PV came in a 1.79 cents per kwh, likely roughly 1/10th of what you're paying on your electric bill. Projecting the math is fairly straightforward.
Fair enough, we can agree to disagree on the future of EV's. Assuming the big boys get serious about EV's, I can't see Tesla surviving.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:32 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
Pete, since you're in the energy business, is there any hope of a second coming of the combustion engine where it would be powered by hydrogen, which burns like a mother****er and should make for some pretty awesome power unit?

That's what I was thought hydrogen cars were going to be, not some lame-*** mini electric power plants inside the car.
I don't think so in the mainstream. Burning hydrogen in the form of heat will result in an efficiency the same as other internal combustion engines, so 40s to perhaps 50%. Going through a fuel cell results in efficiency over 80%, though practically it will generally be slightly lower. Given the complexity of storing and distributing hydrogen, etc, I'd rather just stick with gasoline for ICE.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:43 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,256 Posts

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
There was an article just yesterday in Section B-1 of the WSJ talking about how the oil companies are trying to extract another 1-2% of engine efficiency out of the gasoline combustion engine via thinner, more high-tech oil. For example, a 0w-16 grade motor oil is expected to be granted a seal of approval by an industry consortium early next year as an alternative to the 5w-30 used in most new vehicles.

https://www.mema.org/big-oil-and-aut...bustion-engine
Old 11-21-2017, 01:49 PM
SEB74
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 30 Posts

I ordered gt2 rs and i will order the roadster for sure it looks amazing in performance!
anyway iam a bit worried about the cash flow gestion of Tesla so i will wait, for sure on two years it will be more easy to get it VS gt2 rs i guess !

my opinion is that Tesla will be sold to apple or apple will buy a big part of tesla on the next two years...
Old 11-21-2017, 01:52 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rsierra
Assuming the big boys get serious about EV's, I can't see Tesla surviving.
They are getting very serious. Mercedes is moving forward with 10+ model EV package that re-uses car batteries for grid connected storage, allowing them to significantly reduce overall costs by using the same cells and power management system multiple times. The complete effort looks like a tens of billions commitment that they only recently prioritized. Market forces have shifted faster than they'd initially anticipated.

Quick Reply: OT: 0-60mph in 1.9 sec. for $200k. How does Tesla Roadster Change Things?