Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Cracking Down on Flippers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 08:24 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Let's hope it helps, by how much, time will tell. I guess it's better Porsche says this rather then tell us all, do as you wish.
Old 05-26-2017, 08:24 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,317 Likes on 800 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator
Hmm it might be harder to prove number of track events. Even if you based it on tire usage, it could be gamed by just doing a bunch of doughnuts.

You'd be getting dizzy going around in circles to put on enough miles to compare it to track events.
Old 05-26-2017, 08:31 PM
DrackVB
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The best way to combat this is to simply build more cars. It will eliminate the flipping, dealer markup and get the cars to those who truly want them for a car instead of a investment.
Old 05-26-2017, 08:45 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow, What a brilliant idea. Upset the folks that buy multiple cars a year to make someone who buys a car every 13 years happy. Does that make sense to you? Not gonna happen folks. Money talks.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:30 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,278 Likes on 597 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
And what is the mileage multiplier for tracking them instead of tooling around on regular roads on the nice, no rain, no traffic weekend going to show it off on a coffee and doughnut event?
Originally Posted by Maverick787
Terrible what if you have several Porsche's and drive them equally? You can screw your top buyer that uses all his or her cars?
As I said above...idea is of course fraught with problems (and thus not applicable). But I do like the spirit and alternate approach of this RLer's idea: Get more people to drive these cars rather than sit on them. 997 RS 4.0 is a tragedy.

Originally Posted by Laguna_Dude
For last 9 years, I have purchased and owned and driven the following Porsche's:

Modern:
2008 Porsche 997.1 GT3-RS (Viper Green)
2010 Porsche 997.2 GT3 Cup
2011 Porsche Boxster Spyder (Arctic Silver)
2011 Porsche 997.2 GT3-RS (White)
2015 Porsche 991.1 GT3 (White)
2016 Porsche 991.1 GT3-RS (White)
2017 Porsche 991.2 C4S (GT Silver) - CURRENT (DAILY)

Classic:
’67 911 (Polo Red)
’73 911T (Silver)
’73 911S (Irish Green) - CURRENT
’73 911 Carrera RS 2.7 (Tangerine #440) - CURRENT
’76 911 Carrera MFI ROW (Continental Orange)
’87 930 Turbo (White)
’91 964 3.3 Turbo (Red)

And I cannot track down a new GT3 allocation from any dealer; sure I could find one out of state; but how is that good customer service? I have never flipped a Porsche. I drive them. I track them. I love these cars. I represent their ideal customer and am loyal to them. It's hard to not get upset. And I am sure there are many who have bought many more than me in the same situation. If Porsche truly cared for enthusiast buyers, then they would ensure people like myself and others were able to get these cars without the fuss.
Seems crazy that you can't get an allocation???

Originally Posted by DrackVB
The best way to combat this is to simply build more cars. It will eliminate the flipping, dealer markup and get the cars to those who truly want them for a car instead of a investment.
Actually, they're already doing that with all but the actual numbered cars. Doesn't seem to be helping—so far, anyway.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:31 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 263 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Laguna_Dude
For last 9 years, I have purchased and owned and driven the following Porsche's:

Modern:
2008 Porsche 997.1 GT3-RS (Viper Green)
2010 Porsche 997.2 GT3 Cup
2011 Porsche Boxster Spyder (Arctic Silver)
2011 Porsche 997.2 GT3-RS (White)
2015 Porsche 991.1 GT3 (White)
2016 Porsche 991.1 GT3-RS (White)
2017 Porsche 991.2 C4S (GT Silver) - CURRENT (DAILY)

Classic:
’67 911 (Polo Red)
’73 911T (Silver)
’73 911S (Irish Green) - CURRENT
’73 911 Carrera RS 2.7 (Tangerine #440) - CURRENT
’76 911 Carrera MFI ROW (Continental Orange)
’87 930 Turbo (White)
’91 964 3.3 Turbo (Red)

And I cannot track down a new GT3 allocation from any dealer; sure I could find one out of state; but how is that good customer service? I have never flipped a Porsche. I drive them. I track them. I love these cars. I represent their ideal customer and am loyal to them. It's hard to not get upset. And I am sure there are many who have bought many more than me in the same situation. If Porsche truly cared for enthusiast buyers, then they would ensure people like myself and others were able to get these cars without the fuss.
I think you'll get a car, as I believe Porsche will make enough of them. I am curious though, what was your favorite modern Porsche?
Old 05-26-2017, 09:43 PM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by WernerE
I think you'll get a car, as I believe Porsche will make enough of them. I am curious though, what was your favorite modern Porsche?
Thank you. I plan to write PCNA and see what happens. I also think patience is key; i am willing to wait for a later car as well once the hype passes. My favorite modern GT car was the 997.2 RS by far; i loved the steering feel, motor/tranny, the smaller overall size, the mechanical LSD (driving out of turns with outer rear wheel) and the lack of rear steering (more predictable handling at limit). It was very confidence inspiring with right setup vs. 997.1 RS and i was able to toss it around and push it super hard and still be in control past the limit. the 991's are easier to drive fast, but found the '16 RS to bite sharply once passed it's limits. i plan to snag another 7.2 RS; hopefully a 4.0 if the market ever dips.

Last edited by Laguna_Dude; 05-27-2017 at 02:00 AM.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:52 PM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
With all due respect, this is total BS. There are two easy ways to stop flipping.

1. Build more cars. If demand exceeds supply, increase supply to match demand at the price point you've set as MSRP.

If #1 is not possible, then

2. Increase MSRP to a true market clearing price that will eliminate the profit opportunity of flipping.

Either one of those would get cars in the hands of drivers and eliminate flipping. Porsche could do either one of those. They choose not to do so. As such, many of these cars will sit undriven much for years, just like all the RS's out there with less than 1,000 miles on them. It is what it is, but Porsche claiming their hands are tied is pure bull****.

Both of these options can hurt bottom line for manufacturer. Option 1 would synthetically lower the price and option two would lower total revenue due to lower unit volumes.

If porsche wants a tight ship - distribute gt cars directly from manufacturer. Eliminate dealer control.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:55 PM
vodavoda
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
Or...just build more and make it so pretty much anyone that wants one can get one at MSRP. Get rid of dealer markups, saturate the market to the point where people can get them and your flippers go away.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:16 PM
chaosoul
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
With all due respect, this is total BS. There are two easy ways to stop flipping.

1. Build more cars. If demand exceeds supply, increase supply to match demand at the price point you've set as MSRP.

If #1 is not possible, then

2. Increase MSRP to a true market clearing price that will eliminate the profit opportunity of flipping.

Either one of those would get cars in the hands of drivers and eliminate flipping. Porsche could do either one of those. They choose not to do so. As such, many of these cars will sit undriven much for years, just like all the RS's out there with less than 1,000 miles on them. It is what it is, but Porsche claiming their hands are tied is pure bull****.

You don't get my point at all.

Building more cars and setting a higher MSRP IS adjusting the supply & demand and the market. Just like if Porsche starts building bad GT cars, like turbo engines and just a power kit of the GTS with nothing special, then the market will change as well.

Market forces is unstoppable when clearly supply & demand is one way, and market is one way, and you're trying to enforce the market to not go above MSRP.

Which is why I said you have to solve the true problem, and not just put a bandage on a bone fracture to remedy it.

Policing flipping, discouraging dealers, etc, is all just like putting out a forest fire with a water gun. You'll make some futile attempts, but you'll never be able to get rid of the disease. The true problem is setting the market right. As you suggested, setting msrp at market price and building more supply than demand. You can either drop the demand by building worse cars or setting a higher price, or increase supply by building more cars.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:23 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by chaosoul
You don't get my point at all.

Building more cars and setting a higher MSRP IS adjusting the supply & demand and the market. Just like if Porsche starts building bad GT cars, like turbo engines and just a power kit of the GTS with nothing special, then the market will change as well.

Market forces is unstoppable when clearly supply & demand is one way, and market is one way, and you're trying to enforce the market to not go above MSRP.

Which is why I said you have to solve the true problem, and not just put a bandage on a bone fracture to remedy it.

Policing flipping, discouraging dealers, etc, is all just like putting out a forest fire with a water gun. You'll make some futile attempts, but you'll never be able to get rid of the disease. The true problem is setting the market right. As you suggested, setting msrp at market price and building more supply than demand. You can either drop the demand by building worse cars or setting a higher price, or increase supply by building more cars.
Magic Ball ---

Why does Porsche limit these #'s and like to dangle carrots above dealers heads for these allocations??

Wondering your take. I know what mine is.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:43 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,788 Likes on 4,777 Posts

It takes two to flip.

Might actually be easier to crack down on the flippee
Old 05-26-2017, 11:07 PM
gago1101
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

As others have alluded to, .2GT3 is a stab right through the heart of the flipper clan.
This is how PAG is cracking down.
Old 05-26-2017, 11:16 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by -eztrader-
If porsche wants a tight ship - distribute gt cars directly from manufacturer. Eliminate dealer control.
Bingo. Eliminate the dealer. Eliminate 95% of the problem.
Old 05-26-2017, 11:19 PM
gago1101
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Bingo. Eliminate the dealer. Eliminate 95% of the problem.
That will take care of the stealer problem. Flippers will still be around. As far as I can tell, the maket bubble is created by flippers. Stealers follow.

Quick Reply: Porsche Cracking Down on Flippers?