Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by sportscentury
Old 06-06-2017, 07:25 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by sgroer
I'd look at weights as comparative measure vs. an absolute measure. If US Spec Porsches are heavier than their Euro Counterparts (which was confirmed to me, in person, by an exec at PCNA), aren't other cars likely to suffer the same fate in some form or fashion? In the end, we are talking in the order of, I think, 10's of lbs... certainly less than 50, which is the difference between a gas tank being full vs. half full. I don't notice it...
Porsche itself tells us weight is important by charging us huge amounts for every pound. Lightweight batteries, lighter brakes and lightweight seats all cost a fortune not because they cost Porsche a fortune, but because they are that much "better". But if we're charged we'd better get what we pay for, and it gets important to know if our lightweight seats are not as light.

Weight isn't subjective. There's a spreadsheet and it's a simple cut and paste. Porsche already plays games with small fuel tanks, etc- why cut them any more slack? If it says 500 hp on the tin I expect 500 hp, and if US cars are disproportionately gaining weight I want to know that too. It's a matter of ethos and principle that has traditionally separated Porsche from say Ferrari or Lamborghini, and if we stop caring you can bet Porsche will too- it's obviously easier to save the money on a bespoke component and make a heavier car.

So... did your PCNA contact say the US published weights are inaccurate? Because it kinda sounds like he did.

BTW, I run my cars with 1/4 tank at the autocross and fill them up at lunch for a reason- it's a difference I can feel and see against the clock. Much bigger than we're talking here, but it all adds up.

Last edited by Petevb; 06-06-2017 at 10:47 PM.
Old 06-06-2017, 08:04 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,013 Likes on 280 Posts

Heres what he wrote to me after we met...

It was nice to meet you briefly at One Porsche Drive and to give you a first look at the new 911 GT3. I would like to clarify a few points concerning the weight of the new GT3. First, it should be noted that weights published by PCNA are typically the DIN 70020 (vehicle mass in base configuration including all operating fluids and fuel tank filled to 90 percent). US-specific vehicles will usually feature different standard equipment than European-specific vehicles. With that in mind, it is normal for the base weight of US vehicles to differ from the weights quoted elsewhere (usually for European-spec vehicles)
Old 06-06-2017, 08:39 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
Warren:

Some of us were wondering when/if we
would see you on this thread! And voila,
as if on cue, here you are!

What took you so long? Too busy posting
elsewhere?

Saludos,
Eduardo
Scottsdale
Originally Posted by sportscentury
Originally Posted by neanicu
Old 06-06-2017, 09:29 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sgroer
Heres what he wrote to me after we met...

It was nice to meet you briefly at One Porsche Drive and to give you a first look at the new 911 GT3. I would like to clarify a few points concerning the weight of the new GT3. First, it should be noted that weights published by PCNA are typically the DIN 70020 (vehicle mass in base configuration including all operating fluids and fuel tank filled to 90 percent). US-specific vehicles will usually feature different standard equipment than European-specific vehicles. With that in mind, it is normal for the base weight of US vehicles to differ from the weights quoted elsewhere (usually for European-spec vehicles)
I'm afraid he's probably wrong on multiple counts above, which is part of the reason I raise the issue.

1. US quoted weight is generally a straight conversion from whatever is released in Europe. That's been true of both the website and press releases, basically anything PCNA puts out. The GT4 for example was listed at 1340 kg (DIN Leergewicht/ empty weight) and 2955 lbs in the US. That's a straight conversion from the German number, with no change for US specs, and it's like that for every model I have checked.

2. Current EU standards let them weigh cars in the lightest configuration, not base spec. On the Boxster Spyder launch in Italy a Porsche engineer clarified when I asked him directly: weights are quoted in the lightest possible spec with every lightweight option. This largely accounts for why the GT4 was quoted at 2955 lbs but most customers weigh them at >3100 lbs, and none on this board got within 50 lbs of Porsche's figure in DIN spec, however if you add every lightweight option it nearly adds up: https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/9250...-lightest.html

3. Unfortunately even in the lightest possible configuration a US spec car can't match a euro one. DOT lights are different, etc. Traditionally these differences have been pretty small, but recently it's been moving the other direction. Our lightweight seats, for example, are already a few pounds heavier than theirs, and now the US is being denied options that are available in Europe (radio delete, lion battery, etc). Thus the practice of simply taking the curb weights published in Europe and repeating them for the US (as is currently done for the GT3, etc) is either sloppy or (relatively innocuous) fraud depending on your take. For example if the above is correct the new US 991.2 GT3's weight should be quoted as well higher than the 991.1's because of the loss of lightweight options.

You might get back to your contact and have him do a little digging. If I was releasing significantly inaccurate info to journalists and the public I'd want to know about it. At least go in eyes open. And also understand that the loss of options like radio delete is likely having a bigger impact than realized.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:45 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
Warren:

Some of us were wondering when/if we
would see you on this thread! And voila,
as if on cue, here you are!

What took you so long? Too busy posting
elsewhere?

Saludos,
Eduardo
Scottsdale

Name:  photo451.jpg
Views: 1317
Size:  45.6 KB
Old 06-06-2017, 11:58 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 709 Likes on 336 Posts

Wut?
Attached Images  
Old 06-07-2017, 01:36 AM
asia
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
1. US quoted weight is generally a straight conversion from whatever is released in Europe.

3. Unfortunately even in the lightest possible configuration a US spec car can't match a euro one.
This has been an issue for quite some time. My 996.2 GT3 was speced by PCNA as "Curb weight 3,043 lbs".

I speced my car delete everything possible, add no options (not even mats). Nothing. Weight 3,150 lbs full tank.

My guess: USA seats rather than Euro GT3 seats (not available as an option) (~45 lbs). PCCB (~45 lbs). And maybe Cosmoline underbody wax. (I am guessing they didn't spray the non ocean transported cars.)

Last edited by asia; 06-07-2017 at 01:53 AM.
Old 06-07-2017, 02:26 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

I believe rear crash structure, and perhaps side impact protection, is more robust on US-spec cars.
Old 06-07-2017, 10:24 AM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by asia
This has been an issue for quite some time. My 996.2 GT3 was speced by PCNA as "Curb weight 3,043 lbs".

I speced my car delete everything possible, add no options (not even mats). Nothing. Weight 3,150 lbs full tank.

My guess: USA seats rather than Euro GT3 seats (not available as an option) (~45 lbs). PCCB (~45 lbs). And maybe Cosmoline underbody wax. (I am guessing they didn't spray the non ocean transported cars.)
Yep. But you can get very close to listed weights if all of the options are available. GT4s with Lion, buckets, PCCB, delete, etc were within ~10 lbs per the math.
Old 06-07-2017, 01:52 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 226 Likes on 129 Posts

Paging Dr Chaosoul.. Dr Chaosoul please report to your own thread,

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...l#post14240155
US cars delayed?
Old 06-07-2017, 02:00 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by RealityGT
The good doctor is around. I am pretty sure
we saw him in the vicinity yesterday!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Scottsdale
Old 06-07-2017, 06:04 PM
chaosoul
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RealityGT

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...l#post14240155
US cars delayed?
Yes their dealer told them right. Its true.
Old 06-07-2017, 06:47 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 226 Likes on 129 Posts

^We all thank you sir!
Old 06-07-2017, 07:08 PM
nlpamg
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So since my car was supposed to lock later this month and now it appears to be delayed (it was originally 9/29 delivery), can I get PTS now?

When is the PTS window?

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Ask Chaosoul's Magic 8 Ball