Sponsored by:

Ask Chaosoul's Magic 8 Ball

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 05:29 AM
chaosoul
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DannieK
Hey Chaos.....not sure if this has been asked, but have you heard anything about resurrection of the 960?

Nothing concrete.

Word is that they scratched it, then put it on the table again. Many years out.

Old 05-27-2017, 05:31 AM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
The implied reason is to make more power. The current 4.0 motor makes "only" 500hp with a 9k redline. So, where does the extra 10% power come from? 10% more from same NA displacement is only really possible by spinning it harder and/or increasing compression (already really high for pump gas), and/or improving breathing (already really good for stringent noise/emissions regs).

Granted, the current motor makes its peak power at 8,250 rpm, but you want the redline to be beyond the power peak so that the motor is close to the power peak for more of the time (average is better if you spend time under and over the peak).

So, if they could make the motor make 550hp at 8,900 rpm (with more aggressive cam profiles, larger diameter intake tracts, etc.), then having a 9,600rpm redline would be pretty great...

Making 550hp from 4.0L is 137.5 HP/L and the current champ in that regard is the Speciale which makes 133.3 HP/L at 9k. To move the state of the art forward on this spec, we're going to have to see more revs, imo. This is just hypothetical though based on OP's statement...
I doubt we'll see significantly more revs. Measured by corrected piston speed the 991 GT3 is already a high point in production cars, meaning it likely has more stress on the rods, crank and pistons than any street engine that has come before it (918, Audi RS5, S2000, etc). It's quite a feat that they were able to achieve 9k with this stroke; even 200 rpm more would be huge.

On the other hand I do suspect the can find another 30 hp with the 9k limit if they go looking. Friction and pumping losses have gone way down vs the 997 RS 4.0: lighter valve springs due to both solid lifters and finger-follower cams, lower pumping losses due to half the oil volume getting pumped around, etc. Power should also be up due to a higher compression ratio with direct injection, etc, but the new engine still makes "500 hp". I suspect that's intentional, and Porsche is limiting the GT3's output to allow for future expansion. I would not be shocked if they go for the Speciale's record, but all that said I agree 550 hp seems out of the question.
Old 05-27-2017, 11:44 AM
qbix
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
I doubt we'll see significantly more revs. Measured by corrected piston speed the 991 GT3 is already a high point in production cars, meaning it likely has more stress on the rods, crank and pistons than any street engine that has come before it (918, Audi RS5, S2000, etc). It's quite a feat that they were able to achieve 9k with this stroke; even 200 rpm more would be huge.

On the other hand I do suspect the can find another 30 hp with the 9k limit if they go looking. Friction and pumping losses have gone way down vs the 997 RS 4.0: lighter valve springs due to both solid lifters and finger-follower cams, lower pumping losses due to half the oil volume getting pumped around, etc. Power should also be up due to a higher compression ratio with direct injection, etc, but the new engine still makes "500 hp". I suspect that's intentional, and Porsche is limiting the GT3's output to allow for future expansion. I would not be shocked if they go for the Speciale's record, but all that said I agree 550 hp seems out of the question.
And what is Speciale record and how do we know it?
We know for sure that Ferrari are straight cheaters when it comes to their cars' weight and power.
Old 05-27-2017, 12:20 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,132 Likes on 2,890 Posts

I suspect that's intentional, and Porsche is limiting the GT3's output to allow for future expansion.
Pete - how do you think they're limiting the GT3? They wouldn't do something as cynical as preventing full throttle, as they used to do with the Boxster (to make sure it made 10hp less than equivalent Cayman model)?
Old 05-27-2017, 01:13 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Arrow

Originally Posted by GrantG
Pete - how do you think they're limiting the GT3? They wouldn't do something as cynical as preventing full throttle, as they used to do with the Boxster (to make sure it made 10hp less than equivalent Cayman model)?
I'd guess that a milder cam profile is most likely, though that could be in combination with any number of restrictions such as throttle body or a less finished head.

Porsche has been tuning the powerband for feel over numbers for a long time. The "rush to redline" is only possible because they artificially limit low-end and midrange torque, which is difficult to do smoothly and without losing response.

The new multi-stage intake manifold of the GT3 actually makes noticeably less low and mid-range torque than the old 997 RS 4.0 in places (according to the published power curve) but it's less lumpy and a more linear build of torque. They limited torque in favor of power on the 4.0 Mezger by massively over-sizing the intake (which likely made some of those lumps harder to tune out). I suspect the smoother build of the 991.2 was largely the result of having more margin in hand and hence more ***** to turn to get the feel they were looking for.

If you have power in hand (and the math says they should) then de-tuning is the easy part. I'd probably try to design for everything the same except for a cam and ported/ polished heads for maximum parts commonality if I were them.
Old 05-27-2017, 04:05 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,274 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by qbix
And what is Speciale record and how do we know it?
Just divide output by displacement. and it's 132.7hp/liter. Slightly better than the 918's 132.2hp/liter.

We know for sure that Ferrari are straight cheaters when it comes to their cars' weight and power.
Actually they don't. Ferrari's engines are all dyne-ed at the factory to make at least what they published.

As with all engines, there will be variations, for the 918 engines, each one of them are tested to make at least 608, but all of them make more, some much more than others, the exact number is top secret and only Porsche knows which engine is the ringer and is in which chassis. I had asked them about the dyno numbers on my own car's engine and they still wouldn't tell me.

In Ferrari's case, they could reserve the high output engines and put them in press cars, hence the sometimes unreal numbers from them.

For the weight, Ferrari uses dry weight, which is already a couple hundred pounds lighter than 'wet' kerb weight. Then on top they would put every single lightweight carbon fibre options on the car and perhaps go as far as replacing all the leather with light weight alcantara and use that lightest possible weight as the published weight. This is completely 'legal' and not really cheating. One can put like 100k worth of carbon fibre options on a ordered car and through the Tailor Made program and replace all the leather with light weight alcantara too. The sky is pretty much the limit on how much one wanna spend on a car with Ferrari.
Old 05-27-2017, 04:49 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 649 Likes on 311 Posts

9500 is def not out of the question!
Old 05-27-2017, 05:21 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
9500 is def not out of the question!
Pass the pipe...

Old 05-27-2017, 05:58 PM
porscheflat6
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 147 Posts

9500 would be amazing. I think they would increase compression before RPM.
Old 05-27-2017, 06:06 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by porscheflat6
9500 would be amazing. I think they would increase compression before RPM.
They did already add compression - higher than 991.1 GT3, 911R, and 991 RS...
Old 05-27-2017, 06:08 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

If you have power in hand (and the math says they should) then de-tuning is the easy part. I'd probably try to design for everything the same except for a cam and ported/ polished heads for maximum parts commonality if I were them.
Interesting - makes sense
Old 05-27-2017, 06:17 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
In Ferrari's case, they could reserve the high output engines and put them in press cars, hence the sometimes unreal numbers from them... Then on top they would put every single lightweight carbon fibre options on the car and perhaps go as far as replacing all the leather with light weight alcantara and use that lightest possible weight as the published weight. This is completely 'legal' and not really cheating.
Not cheating? Talk about stretching the truth... Personally I respect Porsche's under-rating far more than Ferrari's overrating- they generally publish numbers an owner can expect to achieve, perhaps because historically they knew a fair number of them would actually get on the autobahn and give it a shot.

I'm pissed enough that Porsche is gaming curb weight by publishing the lightest possible configurator spec (only achieved with smaller fuel tank, radio/ ac delete, lightweight buckets, PCCBs, the lightest headlights, etc). I'd feel completely cheated if they tried to charge another $100k through special wishes to make weight... but I guess it's a question of who's getting fooled- if Ferrari customers are in on it maybe that makes it OK?
Old 05-27-2017, 08:53 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
I am not sure why Porsche would go 9,500 redline when 9,000 would satisfy everyone. 9k redline, 550hp, MT. That alone does it imo.
So you're saying If they'd offer you 9500r model you'd say "thanks but no thanks.. I'm at my limit"?

Not to mention that 9000rpm and 550hp out of that NA engine is not possible...
Old 05-28-2017, 04:20 AM
Cormid
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

any word on the 991.2 GT3 PTS window?
Old 05-28-2017, 06:06 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 441 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
So you're saying If they'd offer you 9500r model you'd say "thanks but no thanks.. I'm at my limit"?

Not to ment4ion that 9000rpm and 550hp out of that NA engine is not possible...
Unless a 4.2 L...

Quick Reply: Ask Chaosoul's Magic 8 Ball