Sponsored by:

Market Glut....GT3 and gt3rs ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 03:26 AM
chaosoul
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
No harm no foul. We get low offers on cars all the time. You have your money to spend and I have mine to risk. My overhead for Scottsdale's store is a lot lower than almost any store in the country so we generally have the best pricing on comparable used cars because I am not greedy.
Just need to make sure we make a small profit.

My most recent take a hike stories are from fresno-

Brand new R8 V10 plus. "I'll take it. Will you guys do 25k off?"

I said sir, if I'm going to lose 10,000+ on this brand new R8, I'll sell it to myself, drive the hell out of it for a few thousand miles and then put it back here as a used car. Please make a real offer.

Next guy- "I want a Turbo S coupe".

Ok, we have one that is changeable.
"Here is my spec"
(Sees spec, boring AF) Your spec is pretty (lame)
"I want 20k off"
Ok we will build it, I'll drive it for 20 track days and scuff all your wheels and you can have it for 20k off.

Why lose money on our best inventory??

We are a small store and every day there is someone trying to rob us. I am an honest (if somewhat crass) person and I think because i am young some of these customers try to out macho us.

I'm amendable to a deal if someone is close. Had a lot of people kicking around my speciale and just sold that. That being said unless someone is going to at least give us a crack at servicing their car somewhere I'm not going to give cars away, that's a bad outcome. I go broke and sell to autonation and then you guys are all F'd and have to pay crazy markups on new configurations.

Yea story of dealers. I wish you best of luck on your new businesses.

A lot of times people are also just not informed. Sometimes they are just plain bad customers, but sometimes you can't blame them. A lot of people heard their friend got a 2016 991.1 Turbo S for 20k discount, and they think, "so that's what they're going for". So they think 991.2 is the same story. They also think ordering is the same story as cars on the lot for 200 days. So they waltz into a dealer and want the same price as their friend who bought a car half year ago, different year, different model.
Old 04-28-2017, 06:35 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by chaosoul
Yea story of dealers. I wish you best of luck on your new businesses.

A lot of times people are also just not informed. Sometimes they are just plain bad customers, but sometimes you can't blame them. A lot of people heard their friend got a 2016 991.1 Turbo S for 20k discount, and they think, "so that's what they're going for". So they think 991.2 is the same story. They also think ordering is the same story as cars on the lot for 200 days. So they waltz into a dealer and want the same price as their friend who bought a car half year ago, different year, different model.
This is so true. Goes both ways.

If I own a dealership and have 3 991rs sitting on my floor for 6months. Market adjustment was up from day 1. Now it's going the other way.
Do I take an offer that is slightly less than I want or do I gamble and sit on it and risk taking an even lower offer in 6months when 991.2rs/991gt2rs is released.

It will take a long time before 991.1rs starts going up in value again.
Old 04-28-2017, 08:33 AM
ATXGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No harm no foul. We get low offers on cars all the time. You have your money to spend and I have mine to risk. My overhead for Scottsdale's store is a lot lower than almost any store in the country so we generally have the best pricing on comparable used cars because I am not greedy.

I said sir, if I'm going to lose 10,000+ on this brand new R8, I'll sell it to myself, drive the hell out of it for a few thousand miles and then put it back here as a used car. Please make a real offer.

"Here is my spec"
"I want 20k off"
Ok we will build it, I'll drive it for 20 track days and scuff all your wheels and you can have it for 20k off.

We are a small store and every day there is someone trying to rob us. I am an honest (if somewhat crass) person and I think because i am young some of these customers try to out macho us.

I'm amendable to a deal if someone is close. Had a lot of people kicking around my speciale and just sold that. That being said unless someone is going to at least give us a crack at servicing their car somewhere I'm not going to give cars away, that's a bad outcome. I go broke and sell to autonation and then you guys are all F'd and have to pay crazy markups on new configurations.
Yeah, I don't think $20k OVER sticker is a low ball offer, as that is exactly what I ended up paying elsewhere (and I was OK with that to enjoy it now while waiting for .2RS). IF I were asking for $20k UNDER sticker that would be a low ball offer.

I buy 3-4 cars a year and get the game--trust me. You guys sold me a 458 at Mc Scottsdale and it was a good deal, because of consignment.

What is interesting is how you are ordering these cars for yourself, vs going down your list and ordering at MSRP for good clients. Does Fresno not have anyone on the list for an RS? No takers at MSRP? I doubt it.

Are you selling your .2's at MSRP or ordering for yourself to mark-up $50k? Hey CJ it's your biz and I'm all for making money. All I"m saying is there is a reason SOME dealers get the stealers stigma. Not saying you do, but charging over sticker is not needed when other dealers don't.

Good luck hope all of your Fresno buyers are able to buy at MSRP.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:46 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by ATXGT3
Yeah, I don't think $20k OVER sticker is a low ball offer, as that is exactly what I ended up paying elsewhere (and I was OK with that to enjoy it now while waiting for .2RS). IF I were asking for $20k UNDER sticker that would be a low ball offer.

I buy 3-4 cars a year and get the game--trust me. You guys sold me a 458 at Mc Scottsdale and it was a good deal, because of consignment.

What is interesting is how you are ordering these cars for yourself, vs going down your list and ordering at MSRP for good clients. Does Fresno not have anyone on the list for an RS? No takers at MSRP? I doubt it.
Aren't you referring to a used car?
Old 04-28-2017, 12:47 PM
ATXGT3
Banned

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Aren't you referring to a used car?
However you want to define a car with 25 miles.

"911 GT3 RS- ordered exclusively for the major leaguer CJ Wilson , Only 25 Miles, Ultraviolet, Very Rare-- Please call for further info and appointment."

And if you don't like this one they have a Voodoo that is really cool too. I'd go Voodoo.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:49 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by ATXGT3
No.
Well the car you referred to is categorized as a used car on their site, so it has already been titled in CJ's or someone else's name. It's not being sold as a brand new car. You're upset that the owner of a dealership bought a car or cars for himself?

And you don't think $20k over for a nearly new RS is still a bit below market? You're shocked a dealer told you to pound sand on that?
Old 04-28-2017, 12:53 PM
ATXGT3
Banned

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Well the car you referred to is categorized as a used car on their site, so it has already been titled in CJ's or someone else's name. It's not being sold as a brand new car. You're upset that the owner of a dealership bought a car or cars for himself?

And you don't think $20k over for a nearly new RS is still a bit below market, particularly if it's PTS? You're shocked a dealer told you to pound sand on that?
He can do whatever he wants...just like I stated.

I have no problem with him telling me to pound sand--it actually saved me a lot of money.

Remember there is a 'glut' of these so I'm told...

Thanks
Old 04-28-2017, 01:07 PM
IRguy
Instructor

"Here is my spec"
"I want 20k off"

Well, I looked into the R8 v10 plus - as a serious buyer - and the best I got is 10% off of MSRP which is about -$19K. This was on a car at the dealer for a few months now.
My local dealer quoted me 5% off ($10K) on a car I would order and that would be a 2018 car.
The R8 v10 is just not selling.
Old 04-28-2017, 05:48 PM
Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

"Here is my spec"
"I want 20k off"

Do you REALLY say crap like this to potential customers? Yikes....
Old 04-28-2017, 06:46 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Wow- we are really beating this horse. Let me interject. There are a number of. 1 RSs for sale. Is there a ton - no. Is there 75 cars possibly. Not a glut. Will prices subside a little sure. Will they hit MSRP- I do not think so. At $20,000 over do they sell them all by Monday- I belive so.

Will there be Suckers paying stupid number- that was rhetoric

Time to move on
Well said
Old 04-29-2017, 03:42 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by Shark
Do you REALLY say crap like this to potential customers? Yikes....
Not directly. Maybe we just don't know each other well enough for my jokes to land.

His quotes are in quotes. Mine are more like thought bubbles. I believe my quote was more like:

Sir I am sorry but this is the best car we have on the showroom. It's amazing. It has over 600 Horsepower. For me to lose money I'd be better off driving the pants off of it and doing a bunch of track days to promote the dealership like a 200mph billboard.

Turbo dude started yelling at one of my sales managers on the phone after we refused a 20k discount on a new car that we would let him spec. Then said "my friend just bought a 2016 for 20k off that's what I want". So, his buddy bought a two year old car that was unsold and he wants the same deal on a 2018. Right ok makes sense now.

Guy comes in and offers real money on a car on the showroom, I always take him seriously. But if a guy starts demeaning me, my cars, my store or my sales people it's hard not to take it personally. I use RL as a bit of an outlet for my sense of humor, and have been a dealer for 6 years so I am a little jaded sometimes towards tire kickers.

The real irony of the "anti R8" stuff is that the R8 is way more car for the money at sticker vs just about anything else out there. It's just a perception thing from die hard porsche guys...the new one is NA, has over 600HP and the transmission is fantastic. The brakes are fantastic. Bummer about the weight/ AWD but hey nobody's perfect under 700k these days.

To me, to be able to spec out a car yourself is really a joy. And to be fair I feel like my style of car spec is really special and unique. I never build twins. Most guys just clone someone else's build, so at that point...
Old 04-29-2017, 04:12 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

CJ seems to be honest and have a great sense of humor.

If you don't want to pay over msrp on 991rs. You have the wait.
Simple. Not important for me to be able to spec myself. For some it's worth it.
We are all different.
Old 04-29-2017, 04:18 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
CJ seems to be honest and have a great sense of humor.

If you don't want to pay over msrp on 991rs. You have the wait.
Simple. Not important for me to be able to spec myself. For some it's worth it.
We are all different.
Exactly. Patience will reward. However- waiting around all the time means some people miss out on a year or more of happy times. Martin bought his for over msrp, and he's been enjoying it for the last year. Sure, he spent 15-20k over what today's price is, but a year of RS driving is worth 15-20k to me.

We all have our lines in the sand. Out of all the next Porsches I am most excited about GT2RS. I just want preposterous speed. If I had to pay over or miss the car, I'd pay over. But I have a GT3 cup car now so nothing in the 450-550HP range will really WOW me anymore, so I won't be chasing a GT3 personally, I'll hand my allocation to a customer.
Old 04-29-2017, 05:05 AM
chaosoul
Pro

Turbo dude started yelling at one of my sales managers on the phone after we refused a 20k discount on a new car that we would let him spec. Then said "my friend just bought a 2016 for 20k off that's what I want". So, his buddy bought a two year old car that was unsold and he wants the same deal on a 2018. Right ok makes sense now.

Originally Posted by chaosoul

Lol seriously? I was right on the money. 20k discount on 2016 Turbo S that a friend got.
Old 04-29-2017, 06:39 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,802 Likes on 2,167 Posts

Exactly. Patience will reward. However- waiting around all the time means some people miss out on a year or more of happy times. Martin bought his for over msrp, and he's been enjoying it for the last year. Sure, he spent 15-20k over what today's price is, but a year of RS driving is worth 15-20k to me.

We all have our lines in the sand. Out of all the next Porsches I am most excited about GT2RS. I just want preposterous speed. If I had to pay over or miss the car, I'd pay over. But I have a GT3 cup car now so nothing in the 450-550HP range will really WOW me anymore, so I won't be chasing a GT3 personally, I'll hand my allocation to a customer.
Yup, the extra $20k over that I paid to have driven the car for 6 months more has been well worth it, along with the $10k-$15k I spent at BBI to get the car track ready. As I told Spyerx, I just need to sell a few more homes. My problem is that I'm an only child so waiting/patience is not one of my virtues. But I will patiently wait for my name to be called on your list.

I deal with the public like you but just as a salesman of homes so I can sympathize with you and would love to tell off folks too. I also have those "thought bubbles" when a meet with a perspective buyer who wants a "great deal" on a home in Irvine or Newport.....my thought bubble = "you and everyone else wants a deal but it ain't gonna happen so you better learn quickly that you'll have to pay market or else you'll be renting for a long, long time." But like you I have to hold back and be more delicate in my response about setting expectations. I did have one client that basically told me that I sucked because I couldn't find that a great deal on any short sales and I told them that I'm probably not the right agent for you and good luck on your home search because I'm not a miracle worker and stopped talking their calls.

Quick Reply: Market Glut....GT3 and gt3rs ?