Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3 will come with "Touring Package" option

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 09:46 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Tangerine
The new GTS is not interesting to many people who are interested in a manual GT3. It just so happens the only way you can get a new NA Porsche with a manual is by way of a GT3.

If they released a car that just had the 3.8 with powerkit from the 991.1 GTS, the 6 speed from the R, the suspension setup from the GT3, I think half the people who want a 991.2 GT3 would take that instead.
This makes so much sense. For some owners, it's so tough to get everything you want in one car.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:58 PM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 124 Likes on 71 Posts

I've actually received messages from people interested in my car, since it is one of those magic combinations. When I decline, it's like people think I'm negotiating--I feel like I could probably get what I paid for it right now. And I'd sell it IF I was absolutely certain I was getting a GT3. I've been told I'm on the list, and at a decent spot--but I'm no VIP and until I have a build number I don't feel anything is firm.

If I do get a build then I would sell...but I would hate to sell this GTS then have a GT3 slip through my fingers
Old 03-24-2017, 10:13 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
I fully understand that people want a no wing gt3 with rear seats now when the cars are so comfortable.

The old saying road "car that you can take to the track has been taken over by the RS".

Now we just need an RS that is a street legal race car.
Porsche has moved the line towards usability.
My wife is good with replacing her current daily (an i3) with a 7MT, backseat GT3. It lets me sneak another sportscar into the garage - perfect!

She didn't like the last one as it was PDK and real sportscars have MTs in her mind...
Old 03-24-2017, 10:26 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 03-30-2017, 02:04 AM
neuroguru
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by qbix
Touring option should come with standard air suspension, sun roof and bolster protectors for those that have lost the plot.
Ha! The 2007-8 997.1 GT3 already had a sunroof.
Old 03-30-2017, 03:59 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by neuroguru
Ha! The 2007-8 997.1 GT3 already had a sunroof.
This hard core talk is a little silly. If people want a hard core track car they should buy an Ariel or a Radical. Like it or not, Porsche GT cars are road cars first and foremost (and where they spend the lion's share of their time).
Old 03-30-2017, 05:46 AM
Superfans
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Anyone know if there going to be a Touring Package at the same time when the manual is available (like in Sept)? Is it just going to be like a 2+2 seating?
Old 03-30-2017, 06:43 AM
Porschmich
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
That's just called missing the boat.

Lots of Porsche lovers wants a air cooled 911 too. Should people start petitioning Porsche to put back the air cool engines in the 991.2?

Many people wished for many things too, doesn't mean they will get it.
Thanks for all the helpful comments??????
Old 04-01-2017, 06:26 AM
Metzeger
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Seen on rennteam forum by ALDO member.

"Yesterday evening I have seen the new GT3 with touring option (no wing) - the funny part I was with someone from inside walking and eating an ice in Stuttgart. I said to him, that the GT3 touring option was cancelled and he confirmed that but then he said they have changed their mind "once again".

So we have for now confirmed (99%):

911 t - with turbo engine - stripped down 991.2

991.2 GT3 without wing

991.2 GT3 RS

991.2 GT2 RS

Also heard that in 992 regardless of which model there will not be any hybrid technology - this was planned, too. They have changed their mind - maybe they will change it again."
Old 04-01-2017, 12:58 PM
Nacelle
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Bartron
With or without helmet and fire suit?

From the cleaning lady and backwards analysis of mirror-image marketing material from Malaysia:

Porsche will announce a 'Hardcore Package' that includes a half-roll cage, custom livery with number, no sound deadening, carbon tub seat with no padding, removable steering wheel, 12 power and pump switches to initiate start up sequence. Plastic windows that don't roll down, no arm rests, cup holders, or power locks. Obviously no stereo or air conditioning. The car will only initiate start up sequence based on the Porsche Real Driver System (PRDS). PRDS is a new motorsport derived feature that requires RFID detection of helmet, nomex socks, driving shoes and gloves within the car cabin. If you are under 150lbs then you can have floor carpeting, otherwise it's just too heavy a package.

The 'Hardcore Package' will be extremely limited and will be more exclusive than true-PTS. In order to be considered for this vehicle, drivers must pass an eligibility test demonstrating knowledge of track alignment, tire compounds and the ancient technique of heel-toe. Extra credit is assigned for those with competence in left-foot braking. If the eligibility test detects any degree of 'softness', the order will be cancelled and you will be offered a vanilla 911. You can reapply once every model cycle.

Note sarcasm above, but honestly, since when is the GT3 snobbery so strong that unless you are a 'hardman' you shouldn't have one and should proceed to one of the non-GT models. I'm curious if Singer or Magnus Walker cars do not include a radio or a comfy seat. It's as if the GT3 is morphing from a model to a sub-brand with lots of protectionism towards the brand's proposed values. Last I checked the GT3 is a trackable-streetcar and the GT3 RS is a streetable-track car. Neither are Cup cars and all have compromises. Porsche's relentless pursuit of engineering has created vehicles that are faster and more comfortable than their predecessors - alternatively there are plenty of now-very-expensive older GT3's out there.

Who cares if you want to enjoy your GT3 in a manner different than Mr Hardcore. It doesn't make you any less an enthusiast or less-appreciating of the cars unique engineering. It doesn't mean you have to get a GTS or TT instead. Those cars are very different far beyond just a stereo and back seats.

Look at the wonderful camaraderie of the Smokies crew. They all had GT machines, drove mainly on open roads, brought passengers, luggage and had radios and some even had *gasp* sofa seats. Yet, they still had a fantastic time and all enjoy their cars.

The additional weight of a back seat isn't going to appreciably affect my lap time any more than a full tank of gas. I still take friends in the passenger seat on track days even though they slow the lap time. I don't care if camber wears my tires funny and sometimes I even get Starbucks and go for a drive with my wife on boring non-twisty roads where we listen to the radio. I wave to everyone who gives me a thumbs up and do the same for anything cool I see driving. I hope having a GT3 doesn't mean that I can't do any of those things and stay 'cool'.

Hopefully I don't have to give up my RL membership for the GT blasphemy above.
This needed a bump....
Old 04-01-2017, 05:40 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 423 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Metzeger
Seen on rennteam forum by ALDO member.

"Yesterday evening I have seen the new GT3 with touring option (no wing) - the funny part I was with someone from inside walking and eating an ice in Stuttgart. I said to him, that the GT3 touring option was cancelled and he confirmed that but then he said they have changed their mind "once again".

So we have for now confirmed (99%):

911 t - with turbo engine - stripped down 991.2

991.2 GT3 without wing

991.2 GT3 RS

991.2 GT2 RS

Also heard that in 992 regardless of which model there will not be any hybrid technology - this was planned, too. They have changed their mind - maybe they will change it again."
And this explains perfectly
why .2 GT3 turbo, NA, no GT3,
why .2 3RS yes, no at all, maybe, hybrid, yes NA

RIP rosenbergendo whooosy fxz ...

they tested almost everything

go figure a 991.1 GT3 Manual already tested back in 2012
and some idiots still saying in 2017, 991 R manual gearbox RnD blablabla...
Old 04-01-2017, 06:43 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero

well said

Last edited by Mark in Baltimore; 04-02-2017 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Deleted quoted inappropriate comment.
Old 04-01-2017, 06:51 PM
PantsFire
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I understand your frustration with a possible dilution of the GT3 heritage, though your language is very disrespectful of women; Porsche fans like myself just want the best of both worlds from their car and it's entirely within Porsche's power to give it to them but as before with the Sports Classic and the 911r they seem unwilling to let everyone near their best.

Last edited by Mark in Baltimore; 04-02-2017 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Deleted quoted inappropriate comment.
Old 04-01-2017, 07:08 PM
fxz
Race Car

Originally Posted by PantsFire
I understand your frustration with a possible dilution of the GT3 heritage, though your language is very disrespectful of women; Porsche fans like myself just want the best of both worlds from their car and it's entirely within Porsche's power to give it to them but as before with the Sports Classic and the 911r they seem unwilling to let everyone near their best.
dead society last song is "the polutically correct"

have u ever seen so many women getting mad for a GT Lemans series???
that s what GT3 should be inspired of

and that s why i love women dear confused nichiist man
Old 04-01-2017, 08:38 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,964 Likes on 915 Posts

I realize that by quoting your unfortunate comments I'm making them reappear, but what you wrote is misguided from a gearhead perspective, and misogynistic from a societal perspective, views like these were outdated and unacceptable in our grandparents generation, get with the times! Don't be encouraged by your single supporter, its actually not a surprise at all that he's the unfortunate character who would give credence to your ridiculous comments, I doubt anyone else on this forum appreciated or tolerates the hateful crap you just wrote. This isn't about pc, this is about basic common sense and respect.. please take those two attributes into consideration before posting again.

Last edited by Mark in Baltimore; 04-02-2017 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Deleted quoted inappropriate comment.

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 will come with "Touring Package" option