Sponsored by:

991.2 GTS, GT3, GT2, GT3 RS, Mission E - Update

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 09:54 AM
chillindrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by bccars
I'd even go a step further. I think the manual transmission fetish in the US is in reality not as big as it seems to be here on rennlist !
that is widely known. Otherwise why are manuals being phased out? This is an enthusiast website, usually comprised of car nerds. So of course, manual preference seems far out of proportion compared to the general car buying population.

Originally Posted by fxz
In Motorsport pro drivers are depressed people never involved
what a boring clicking buttons job is that?

so sorry for them it's too sad ...

No MT? No Involvement!
I assume the last statement is alittle tongue in cheek.

I think the PDK vs MT will be raged on till I'm long gone. Just different strokes for different folks. For resale, protection (difficult to mechanically overrev), and precision, those are the advantages of PDK. On track it is, I think, definitively faster, mainly due to precision and offloading some driver focus to other aspects of car control. I dont think it's "less" involvement per se, because you can now be more involved on driving line, or throttle application, etc.

I like MT because I'm not on the track constantly. This additional focus is welcomed "involvement" to break up mundane street driving or less intense canyon carving. On track, its definitely is more work. And you need to multitask. And I'm mentally spent at the end of a 25min DE session. That said, I do feel it's more satisfying from a personal achievement perspective when you have a perfect session and everything was executed properly.

But that's not to take anything away from faster or as fast PDK drivers on track.

That said, if some nostalgic Porsche collector, happens to want to trade a 991 GT3 or RS for my 997.2 GT3, I'd jump at the chance to be honest. 😉
Old 01-03-2017, 10:02 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

I think the opportunity to trade is available. I do not know your mileage but I am sure there are Dealers out there with a lightly used 991 GT3 that would trade. You may have to cough up a little though but depending where you live you may also have a tax credit.

Now is the time because those prices will start to wane after the official confirmation of a Manual 991.2
Old 01-03-2017, 12:40 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, this is still going on. Great for us to give our opinions, but in my eyes, no one is right or wrong...to each his own.
Old 01-03-2017, 02:15 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 422 Likes on 250 Posts

a PDK-S Vs a MT is less involving and requires less skills to be driven

What a ridicoulus snobbism isn't it?

most of the manual GT3 will be sold in the hope to catch
the last NA last MT train ever

isn t a used 997 or older sufficient?

i am still wondering who will really dare to drive
(to over rev as due for a proper MT heavily driven )
a 8.5 RPM hyper fast revving engine
knowing is the last unicorn

i guess only Mooty and very few crews here

the remainder will start crying over 7k...despite the Rev matching software...
let s call it crying involvement...
Old 01-03-2017, 02:42 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,798 Likes on 2,196 Posts

Originally Posted by fxz
For the road, IMO a non-GT 997 is a great choice. Plenty fast, engaging at all speeds, drivable daily without issues. And much less cost than the GT versions.
Old 01-03-2017, 03:25 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

Originally Posted by fxz
a PDK-S Vs a MT is less involving and requires less skills to be driven

What a ridicoulus snobbism isn't it?

most of the manual GT3 will be sold in the hope to catch
the last NA last MT train ever

i am still wondering who will really dare to drive
(to over rev as due for a proper MT heavily driven )
a 8.5 RPM hyper fast revving engine
knowing is the last unicorn

i guess only Mooty and very few crews here

the remainder will start crying over 7k...despite the Rev matching software...
let s call it crying involvement...
In my opinion; I do not necessarily disagree with that statement. PDK is much easier to drive and does require less skill. Hence, why as these cars get faster they are moving away from them and look how many they sold and the demand for 991 GT3/RS. If manual only they would not be selling any of these over MSRP. The involvement is more subjective. I find manual more involving but PDK-S is quite a bit of fun and an excellent transmission and I can see how one could find it equally involving.

I will street drive the 991.2 GT3 Manual like I stole it and will enjoy the heck out of it. But I also agree with you many may opt for the Manual for resale value down the road- figuring it may be the last Manual GT3 but I would not say that is a foregone conclusion
Old 01-03-2017, 04:10 PM
Nimerino
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These were posted elsewhere . No idea if they're real but they certainly look convincing.
Old 01-03-2017, 04:23 PM
80s
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Here is a q about Porsche Exclusive:
Lets say i want alcantara dash on the 991.2 gt3 not the lowe part, i meant the upper part that sometimes in leather and coloured stiching. Is this possible from factory?? Expensive?? Too what extent can you individualize via p excl to make it more special.
Old 01-03-2017, 06:05 PM
TomTomTom
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Porsche has the same issue with the GT3 as they had with the Panamera GTS a couple of years back.

The GTS still had the V8 which everyone loved but the "regular" Panamera with the V6 Turbo was better in every measurable way. Faster, more torque, more economical... but nobody wanted the Turbo.

The new GTS will be so insanely fast that the NA GT3 will have to step up.
Therefore they will for sure bring a 4,0l engine in that thing and you have the "performance gap".

In the end, the GT3 makes a loooot of money. If it is outperformed in the straight line from a regular GTS a lot of the "well I actually don't go to the track but I like the feeling of the GT3" might take the GTS instead...
Old 01-03-2017, 06:08 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by TomTomTom
The new GTS will be so insanely fast that the NA GT3 will have to step up.
Therefore they will for sure bring a 4,0l engine in that thing and you have the "performance gap".

In the end, the GT3 makes a loooot of money. If it is outperformed in the straight line from a regular GTS a lot of the "well I actually don't go to the track but I like the feeling of the GT3" might take the GTS instead...
I am pretty sure that Porsche would make more money selling more GTS's and fewer GT3's, but I am also expecting/hoping for a 4.0L motor with a performance gap (in almost every metric) over the GTS...
Old 01-03-2017, 06:31 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 422 Likes on 250 Posts

having owned a 991.1 GTS (regular S plus Perf Package)
and a 991.1 GT3

the difference

-the sophisticated cup suspensions
which is much more than feeling but the way the car
respond to the road
and much better than any stiffy spasm -20

-the PDK-S beautifully tuned

-the eager revving capabilities so faster than the base NA 9A1 go figure any Turbo

-the speechless of 9k with BMC (modified) Filters

again i am not so sure i want to wait until the next RS...
Old 01-03-2017, 09:31 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by Nimerino
These were posted elsewhere . No idea if they're real but they certainly look convincing.
For the sake of R owners I hope that stripe scheme is not offered as a CCX.
Old 01-03-2017, 09:32 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 611 Likes on 295 Posts

That is not an attractive front end.
Old 01-03-2017, 09:36 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
For the road, IMO a non-GT 997 is a great choice. Plenty fast, engaging at all speeds, drivable daily without issues. And much less cost than the GT versions.
Agree 100%.

In fact was was snooping around looking for a '11/'12 997 GTS with MT. Great car and balance between track and street.

For the RS, the thing is so fricking quick and fast I definitely agree with AP that PDK/S is absolutely the right trans for that car. To put an mt in the RS in my opinion is to take a razor and run a stone flat over it's edge.
Old 01-03-2017, 09:45 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I know there are plenty that will love the new look and say that the look is more aggressive, so on and so forth. I'm not a fan, looks a little too Cayman, the front grill work seems to have lost something from the .1, even from the 997 cars, just doesn't feel right.

I'm fortunate enough to be picking up a 991.1 GT3RS at the end of the month, Personally I feel that the 991.1 GT3 and RS are two of the best looking cars of all time.

Ryan

Quick Reply: 991.2 GTS, GT3, GT2, GT3 RS, Mission E - Update