Sponsored by:

991.2 GTS, GT3, GT2, GT3 RS, Mission E - Update

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 08:23 PM
Jono809
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Graville
I really can't decide on the transmission. PDK is better for keeping yourself in the top of the rev range and that is where you need to be to enjoy the car to the max. It's all about the engine and PDK gives you better access. BTW I only ever drive it in manual mode. Love the way it neither kicks down or shifts up. Obviously you miss the clutch but I think better access to the engine, the fact you change gear more often makes up for it. Couldn't care less about which is faster.
I totally agree with this!!! When you're in a situation on road or track where you want to constantly be between 7000-8800rpm, PDK is perfect, it lets you enjoy the engine and make some seriously rapid progress down the road.

I got out of my RS and into a GT4 at a recent track day, I would not believe anyone if they told me they would prefer the manual carrera engine on track over the 4.0 PDK. Even the dynamics, weight bias and steering of the 911 felt so much better to me.

I totally get not having wings on the 911R for road use, but feeling the aero work at high speeds on track in the RS is amazing, it's hard to describe the feeling, but having the car hunker down in a fast sweeper is
Old 01-02-2017, 08:53 PM
camjan
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So the rumor of the new GT3 being a 911R with a wing sounds too good to be true to me.
They have to have something up their sleeve to mess this up for us Non-VIPers.
Old 01-02-2017, 09:05 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 263 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by camjan
So the rumor of the new GT3 being a 911R with a wing sounds too good to be true to me.
They have to have something up their sleeve to mess this up for us Non-VIPers.
At this stage, Porsche doesn't owe the VIP'rs anything. The 918s have doubled in price. The 911Rs can be sold for 2x. The RS' were available to them.

Porsche can offer the 991.2 GT3 to us peons with similar 911R mechanicals (minus the special bits and badge) and risk zero blowback from the VIP'rs.

A MT 4.0 500 HP GT3 is a fairly safe bet IMO. If it's 490 HP, who cares?
Old 01-02-2017, 09:08 PM
LSs1Power
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by WernerE
At this stage, Porsche doesn't owe the VIP'rs anything. The 918s have doubled in price. The 911Rs can be sold for 2x. The RS' were available to them.

Porsche can offer the 991.2 GT3 to us peons with similar 911R mechanicals (minus the special bits and badge) and risk zero blowback from the VIP'rs.

I have a feeling it would be 515HP.
Old 01-02-2017, 09:10 PM
camjan
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by WernerE

If it is MT 4.0 500hp NA. (maybe wingless option). Prepare for the hype to take this forum offline for days haha.

I just have a bad feeling about that tho. Something has to give.
Old 01-03-2017, 06:17 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
As I said : the bean counters were happy. Porsche has always meant more. Just think of the incredible number of Porsche enthusiasts all over the World. The bean counters didn't build that.

The USA vs Europe in terms of manual nostalgia is just a fairy tale...the fact that 80 year old grandmas drive manual Polos in Europe since birth does not translate in less demand for a manual sports car.

Chris3963 is absolutely right. The manual nostalgia difference is not a fairy tale.
I'd even go a step further. I think the manual transmission fetish in the US is in reality not as big as it seems to be here on rennlist !

Only thing that irks me sometimes is the vibe that if you prefer PDK is because you are not able to drive stick. That generalisation is sooooo far from the truth. But this is a forum, so I'll take it with a bucket of salt and get over it :-)
Who cares ? Give us PDK and stick. Each can get his own weapon of choice and be happy ...

I'd like my 991.2 GT3 with 490bhp, 9000 rpm redline, PDK and reliability.

Last edited by bccars; 01-03-2017 at 06:35 AM.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:13 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Yup, figure the total amount of GT4s, Rs, and RSs built in 2016 should easily lead to 5,000+ GT3 capacity in 2017. In 2018, they might be able to build as many because they'll be building GT2RSs.
Bingo^

Try to satisfy as many as possible during 2017! Then split production between gt2rs and 991.2gt3 during 2018.

I have a feeling a lot of owners will "upgrade" from 991rs to gt2rs.
Old 01-03-2017, 08:53 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

We'll just have to wait and see what the official numbers are between the pdk-s GT3 and the manual version. The manual will be slower,but I don't suspect it will be slower than the previous gen,due to more power(torque),perhaps less weight,improved RWS software,stickier gen tires and rev matching magic.
So help me understand, you want to row your own gears but need Porsche to help you with rev matching?
Old 01-03-2017, 09:07 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 422 Likes on 250 Posts

REV Matching software and RWS ??? things good for hairdressers pretending to be Andretti!

OMG where's the hell my purist pure perfect driver' car gone?
Old 01-03-2017, 09:16 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by RajDatta
So help me understand, you want to row your own gears but need Porsche to help you with rev matching?
You misunderstood. You've taken that piece out of context,you'd make a good politician.
People are worried about not being fast enough in a manual when compared to pdk. I don't suspect the manual GT3 will be a lot slower than the pdk version,I actually believe they'll be very close and all the new technology will assist the driver in achieving that. Not that it matters,fast drivers will be fast in pdk or manual.
I personally could care less,I'll take slower and more involving all day.
Old 01-03-2017, 09:19 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

You misunderstood. You've taken that piece out of context,you'd make a good politician.
People are worried about not being fast enough in a manual when compared to pdk. I don't suspect the manual GT3 will be a lot slower than the pdk version,I actually believe they'll be very close and all the new technology will assist the driver in achieving that. Not that it matters,fast drivers will be fast in pdk or manual.
I personally could care less,I'll take slower and more involving all day.

It's all in fun
Old 01-03-2017, 09:31 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 422 Likes on 250 Posts

In Motorsport pro drivers are depressed people never involved
what a boring clicking buttons job is that?

so sorry for them it's too sad ...

No MT? No Involvement!
Old 01-03-2017, 09:46 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

I didn't know you're involved in motorsports professionally fxz,I apologize. I thought most people here buy these cars as a hobby but still go to work doing other things to pay for that hobby.
I thought these cars are so much fun everywhere,street included. I personally prefer GT cars at any speed and in any environment.
I guess I was wrong this whole time. You learn something everyday...
Old 01-03-2017, 09:47 AM
Apolo1
Pro

Received 298 Likes on 127 Posts

People are worried about not being fast enough in a manual when compared to pdk. I don't suspect the manual GT3 will be a lot slower than the pdk version,I actually believe they'll be very close
When the 991GT3 was announced part of the marketing for the PDK-S box, was jus how much of an advantage the PDK is over a MT with regard to change downs in corners. Over a Lap the PDK-S has quite a big advantage actually, this aside to the extra time the PDK allows with regard to braking and turn in points etc.....
Old 01-03-2017, 09:53 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Apolo1
When the 991GT3 was announced part of the marketing for the PDK-S box, was jus how much of an advantage the PDK is over a MT with regard to change downs in corners. Over a Lap the PDK-S has quite a big advantage actually, this aside to the extra time the PDK allows with regard to braking and turn in points etc.....
I totally understand your point and it's true : pdk is a very important part of making that car faster. Sure,there was the marketing side of it,but in the end,if you gave an inexperienced driver a car in manual and the same in pdk,he'll be faster in pdk. But give it to a very good driver and that gap becomes very small.

Quick Reply: 991.2 GTS, GT3, GT2, GT3 RS, Mission E - Update