Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 GT2RS

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 02:29 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

I don't think I can ever remember seeing so many 'official' releases of a prototype pre-production camo car! The Porsche hype machine in full gear....

Jim
Old 06-04-2017, 02:41 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,390 Likes on 721 Posts

1000 units is just plain stupid

2500 should be their target
Old 06-04-2017, 02:48 PM
neoprufrok
Rennlist Member

Received 476 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
How do you suppose they accomplish that with the snails, intercoolers and accompanying Turbo related ancillaries?

I wonder why they decided to go CF roof for the Weissach package? I thought the reason Porsche went Mag on the 3RS was because it was lighter than CF. Maybe CF offers more stiffness so a better fit when combined with the Rose Joints? Looks like an awesome car none the less. I'm excited to see several nods to the 997 2RS in the interior. Can't wait to see what other little secrets get revealed like the sprayed intercoolers, that definitely comes as a surprise!
My LT has a twin turbo v8 pushing 666hp. It's dry weight is 1230kg, wet 1328kg. That said, hard to know until the msrp comes out. MSRP on the LT was 360k, so its not exactly a straight comparison in truth.

Probably they'd have to do something radical to get it as low as an LT... full carbon tub etc.
Old 06-04-2017, 02:50 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
Anyway, to answer your question I'd like the 991 GT2RS to be more special compared to other 991 turbos and more differentiated from the competition, either by insane power for this limited run of GT2RS, like 800hp, or major weight reduction, like a carbon tub to drop the weight down to 3000 lbs.

The GT2RS still sounds like a great car, and I don't want to take away from that for the future owners on this thread, its just that the 991 GT2RS doesn't sound that different from a 488 Speciale, or a Mclaren LT.
I get you. It's still rear engine and unique in that way, but they have been doing everything they can to make it feel otherwise...

I think the car is much as it's always been- the most extreme 911. The competition, however, has just gotten much tougher. When the last RS was released it was largely a response to the Nissan GT-R, a car that finally challenged Porsche's supremacy at the 'Ring. When it pulled 7:18 it put clear daylight between it and previous supercars like the Ezo, CGT, etc.

Since then McLaren has joined the fray while both Lamborghini and Ferrari have seriously upped their game in terms of hp and track capability. The GT2's formula has always been simple- take the latest and greatest 911 platform and crank it up to 11 using RWD and the best go-fast parts in the bin. This is no different, it's just that when competing against carbon tubs and less constrained engineering (no power limits, etc) it seems less impressive. Unfortunately giving it a carbon tub or 4wd would start to ruin what the GT3 is, while giving it 800 hp would create another CGT (a car far beyond the abilities of most that can afford it). Thus I'm not sure what options Porsche has at the moment.

I for one am very glad they made it, and the scarier the better. Porsche needs to keep a little awe and fear in the lineup.

Last edited by Petevb; 06-04-2017 at 06:04 PM.
Old 06-04-2017, 02:54 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 916 Posts

They need mid-engine RSR variant (the actual latest and greatest 911 platform), but then it really would be a lot closer to competition in layout AND price. Trust it'll come eventually and some will deplore and some will adore. Same old, same old.
Old 06-04-2017, 02:56 PM
Billy Wyatt
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

The competition has simple outdone this car.Porsche knows the diehards will still buy it even at the $250-$300K entry fee.
Old 06-04-2017, 02:59 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

I can't do the whorehouse red interior again..

Curious about color options inside and out
Old 06-04-2017, 03:00 PM
jmh981
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

...complaints over the DNA of this car suggest that Porsche really need a 960-type car to bring the fight to Ferrari and Mclaren.
Old 06-04-2017, 03:59 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 169 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by jmh981
...complaints over the DNA of this car suggest that Porsche really need a 960-type car to bring the fight to Ferrari and Mclaren.
Basing a flagship on a 911 is fundamentally limiting for a number of reasons.
  • unibody instead of carbon tub
  • strut front suspension
  • rear engined instead of midengined, both from a dynamics and aero standpoint
  • looks (not as exotic)

Some of these can be fixed without designing a entirely new platform but I suppose this is all academic if Porsche will only make 1000 GT2 units.
Old 06-04-2017, 04:39 PM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 418 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I can't do the whorehouse red interior again..

Old 06-04-2017, 04:46 PM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mclaren and Ferrari (and Lamborghini...), have cars that are quicker round a track than a GT3RS, but none of them (inc the LT) can take the consistent hammering that a GT car can take, nor can they be run at a similar cost.

If you add 200bho and various performance enhancements, I think the GT2RS will be a hell of a car, and materially better than what the competition have right now, on a track. If you're on a road, they all have more performance than you need, and way more perormance than 99% of owners can exploit.
Is it worth the cash - unsure, depends on the final spec, but it's where my money will very likely go.

FWIW, I don't think there will only be 1000 cars. I was told they will be priced high and made in enough numbers that will take premium out of the secondary market, and put it into Porsche's pocket at day 1. Things might have changed, so no guarantees!

Last edited by Footsoldier; 06-04-2017 at 05:10 PM.
Old 06-04-2017, 05:00 PM
EST
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by vantage
Basing a flagship on a 911 is fundamentally limiting for a number of reasons.
  • unibody instead of carbon tub
  • strut front suspension
  • rear engined instead of midengined, both from a dynamics and aero standpoint
  • looks (not as exotic)

Some of these can be fixed without designing a entirely new platform but I suppose this is all academic if Porsche will only make 1000 GT2 units.

"looks (not as exotic)"

For me the 911 is everything about looks ! it's 50+ years been exotic

I have no goosebumps about the other brands like ... specially this new 720S
Old 06-04-2017, 05:15 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Footsoldier
Mclaren and Ferrari (and Lamborghini...), have cars that are quicker round a track than a GT3RS, but none of them (inc the LT) can take the consistent hammering that a GT car can take, nor can they be run at a similar cost.
I hope that's correct. With PCCB standard and no regen from hybrid I'm wondering if ~700 HP won't consistently push the carbon brakes over their temperature threshold.

If track-worthyness is Porsche's Alamo they really need to reconsider the ridiculous replacement PCCB disk prices. In the big picture they are trading what- ~50 replacement sets (GT2s and GT3s with PCCBs that actually track their cars consistently and hard enough to torch disks) times an extra 15k per set profit... Less than $1 million in trade for much of what serious enthusiasts still consider the core of Porsche's reputation.

Please: pull it from the marketing budget. Try to turn everything into a profit center and marketing will soon find it's a drop in the bucket.
Old 06-04-2017, 05:22 PM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
I hope that's correct. With PCCB standard and no regen from hybrid I'm wondering if ~700 HP won't consistently push the carbon brakes over their temperature threshold.

If track-worthyness is Porsche's Alamo they really need to reconsider the ridiculous replacement PCCB disk prices. In the big picture they are trading what- ~50 replacement sets (GT2s and GT3s with PCCBs that actually track their cars consistently and hard enough to torch disks) times an extra 15k per set profit... Less than $1 million in trade for much of what serious enthusiasts still consider the core of Porsche's reputation.

Please: pull it from the marketing budget. Try to turn everything into a profit center and marketing will soon find it's a drop in the bucket.
Pretty sure there's going to be a next gen braking system on the 2RS.
Old 06-04-2017, 05:54 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
I get you. It's still rear engine and unique in that way, but they have been doing everything they can to make it feel otherwise...

Since then McLaren has joined the fray while both Lamborghini and Ferrari have seriously upped their game in terms of hp and track capability. The GT2's formula has always been simple- take the latest and greatest 911 platform and crank it up to 11 using RWD and the best go-fast parts in the bin. This is no different, it's just that when competing against carbon tubs and less constrained engineering (no power limits, etc) it seems less impressive. Unfortunately giving it a carbon tub or 4wd would start to ruin what the GT3 is, while giving it 800 hp would create another CGT (a car far beyond the abilities most that can afford it). Thus I'm not sure what options Porsche has at the moment.

I for one am very glad they made it, and the scarier the better. Porsche needs to keep a little awe and fear in the lineup.
As you said, Porsche is doing everything they can to make 911s feel mid-engined. This improves track times, but removes part of the character of the cars, particularly in the extreme versions.

I'm still glad that Porsche is making a 991 GT2RS, and I'm certain that those who buy it will enjoy their cars.

Last edited by Drifting; 06-04-2017 at 06:37 PM.

Quick Reply: 991 GT2RS