991 GT2RS

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2016, 05:38 AM
ScottKelly911
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
I'll take a stab at a couple of these questions:

1. Wheels will probably be same as 3RS, but it's possible that we'll see the expensive Magnesium wheels from the 918 that are the identical sizes as the 3RS.

2. I expect to see only 918 seats through the rest of 991 production. New seats usually come with a brand new generation.

3. I think we'll see just PDK, since all the Turbo cars have been using PDK only now for quite a few years (and there are good reasons for it - like no lag on upshifts). Also, not sure any of the existing manual gearboxes available are rated for 600 ft-lbs or whatever ridiculous amount of torque we should expect with the 2RS. The PDK for the Turbo S is already pretty beefy.
Grant, good call on the Magnesium 918 wheels! I can definitely see that happening and hope that is what happens! Less rolling weight would be nice when we're talking about wheels that big. About the seats, I tend to agree with you that we'll probably see the 918 seats as well. However we have seen several seats introduced within the generations life cycle. The 996 GT3 fixed back seats were introduced in the GT3 which came late in the 996 life cycle, though I believe they were only available ordered from the factory in ROW cars, though many dealerships would order them and have them dealer installed. The folding Sport Buckets were introduced on the 997.1 GT2 which was late in the 997.1 life cycle and continued to be optional on the 997.2 GT3/RS's. The CGT fixed back seats reprised their role as an option for ROW cars with the 997.2 GT3RS, 997.2 GT3RS 4.0 and 997.2 GT2RS. So while it's doubtful, it'd be pretty cool if they came out with a folding 918 style seat like they did with the GT2 seats. If they do this, it would probably act as an introduction to the new seats which would then carry over into the next gen GT series cars with possible options for Turbos and GTS cars as well as Cayman GTS, GT4 and Boxster Spyder if built. As for the Transmission, I 100% agree with you, PDK only. The GT2RS is a no-holds barred Nurburgring and Performance Assault Weapon, so they're not going to compromise it's performance by putting in a manual transmission in it just for "driving enjoyment". Obviously that's all hypothetical and hopeful lol But thought it'd be fun to discuss things actually related to the GT2RS in this thread lol I like your takes on it, good convo!
Originally Posted by Nizer
No new info.....
Yeah Nizer, that's true, with lack of new info to talk about, convo strays lol Which is why I tried to steer convo back into the right direction and give us some things to speculate about. I REALLY like Grant's idea of carrying over the 918's Magnesium wheels and making them standard affair on the GT2RS! PCCB will probably be standard with steel rotors as a no-cost option for track rats. ROW will get lexan rear window and half cage as standard. Sport Chrono will probably be standard. Oh and one last thing, the GT2RS will be the first GT car offered as a convertible!! hahha ok I'm just kidding about that last part
Old 12-25-2016, 07:35 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,182 Likes on 599 Posts

Continue speculating: car is still being tested and developed.
Old 12-25-2016, 07:58 PM
foo
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When are you guys planning on talking to a dealer for an eventual GT2 RS allocation in 2018?
Old 12-25-2016, 11:18 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by foo
When are you guys planning on talking to a dealer for an eventual GT2 RS allocation in 2018?
April/ May 2015
Old 12-25-2016, 11:20 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,647 Likes on 764 Posts

It may have been a bit earlier then that ;-)
When we're the first 2016 specced?
Old 12-25-2016, 11:22 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,867 Likes on 967 Posts

Originally Posted by foo
Deposit down six months ago.
Old 12-26-2016, 12:32 AM
ScottKelly911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Continue speculating: car is still being tested and developed.
YEP! Since we know that Porsche does have their eyes and ears open, maybe we give them a great idea that they add to the cars since nothing is set in stone yet
Originally Posted by foo
If you haven't yet, chances are you're about a year or so behind the 8-ball already and pretty much should start talking to your 918 buddies about buying their allocation from them. Or start putting money aside for the 100K over MSRP cars that will pop up on Ebay shortly after release. Many people just have a substantial deposit sitting at their dealership as a good faith deposit on the next "special/GT" car that is announced. So you know that 992 GT3RS 4.5 Liter car that will be coming out? It's got many many deposits already even though it's not even a thing. You'd be surprised how many people have deposits on the FeFi aka 960 even though it's looking more and more like it's stillborn. But not all dealers will do this and even ones that do, wont necessarily do this with just any customer. Some will only allow it for special customers who have LONG standing relationships with them. Often are also personal friends not just business relationships. Have you been golfing with your GM for the past 30 years and maybe slip him some tickets to take his wife to go see Hamilton for their anniversary?
April/ May 2015
^late to the game lol just kidding, that's about right!
Old 12-26-2016, 02:12 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

If you are late to the bar you won't be taking home the dime or the one looking for action. You are left with the depressed one who's skank friends ditched her.

Same with allocations.
IF THE CAR IS LIMITED / EXCLUSIVE AND YOU DIDN'T PUT YOUR NAME DOWN NONE ARE LEFT.

want to see Star Wars opening night? Not as bad as the geeks who camped for tickets.

A million possible examples.
Old 12-26-2016, 02:23 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

There are a ton of buyers.

Worldwide there were almost 10,000 people who APPLIED for a Ford GT!!! And that is going to be 500,000 MSRP with options!

I think there are 35,000-50,000 people who can afford (real car buyers) cars in the 140-250 range. If you don't believe me:

Ferrari sells 8,000 cars a year. And those are all "special"

Porsche sells 3000-5000 GT3 and Turbo vehicles at least. Maybe 10,000. I am not sure.

Mclaren sells 2500 sports car/ hypercar

Lambo sells 4000+

Aston
Rolls
Bentley
Jag F type R / SVR
Audi R8
Viper ACR
Nismo GTR

And let's not forget Mercedes. The SLS, Amg GTS, etc.

What else is out there?

Lots of people, at least 3000 are hardcore dudes buying 2-4+ cars a year. Multiple Porsches. A porsche and a mclaren. A BAC and a Ferrari. An Aston and a Bentley. Etc.

At the very top, there are 100-500 collectors worldwide who literally compete with each other for the MOST important/ limited/ etc cars. At least 2 of them are on this board. They end up with R's and 918's and P1s but those cars are their chips and salsa.

F1
Alfa Romeo 2300 8C
250LM
250 TDF
LeMans winning cars
Etc.

Those are real collector cars. We just drive sports cars compared to those guys. And of course the dealers will pander to them.
Old 12-26-2016, 02:32 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,675 Likes on 2,333 Posts

Originally Posted by foo
Old 12-26-2016, 04:27 AM
ScottKelly911
Burning Brakes

If you are late to the bar you won't be taking home the dime or the one looking for action. You are left with the depressed one who's skank friends ditched her.

Same with allocations.
IF THE CAR IS LIMITED / EXCLUSIVE AND YOU DIDN'T PUT YOUR NAME DOWN NONE ARE LEFT.

want to see Star Wars opening night? Not as bad as the geeks who camped for tickets.

A million possible examples.
Quite possibly the funniest thing I've ever read on RL and SO TRUE!!!
Originally Posted by mooty
And Mooty's not even kidding! Rumor has it Mooty came out out of his mother's womb and went straight to the Porsche dealer and slapped down a deposit so he'd have a Special Edition 911 for his 16th birthday and he'd have plenty of time to spec it out.
Old 12-26-2016, 12:36 PM
secretcollector
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911

And Mooty's not even kidding! Rumor has it Mooty came out out of his mother's womb and went straight to the Porsche dealer and slapped down a deposit so he'd have a Special Edition 911 for his 16th birthday and he'd have plenty of time to spec it out.
Mooty did not merely "come" out of his mother's womb - he used a very early version of Launch Control and clocked a then world-record of 3.68s!
Old 12-26-2016, 12:49 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,867 Likes on 967 Posts

No comment regarding Mooty's ability to navigate female anatomy but here's some perspective on future GT2 RS demand and pricing: http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...e-911-gt2-tho/
Old 12-26-2016, 01:08 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911

Originally Posted by secretcollector
Mooty did not merely "come" out of his mother's womb - he used a very early version of Launch Control and clocked a then world-record of 3.68s!
LOL. funny stuff
Old 12-26-2016, 06:04 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 437 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
No comment regarding Mooty's ability to navigate female anatomy but here's some perspective on future GT2 RS demand and pricing: http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...e-911-gt2-tho/
Either the first RS...

Quick Reply: 991 GT2RS