New PCCB and Track days – Facts Feedback Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 12:47 PM
NMM991
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PierreTT
NMM,

Please post your feedback after the switch...

Same car, same circuit, same driver...

I'm curious to find out if you notice a big difference or not.

Thanks!
Will do, I am interested in comparing them on the track -- next day is May 16th. Only have about 50 miles on them so far, not fully bedded in and I can notice it. I've heard all positives from those that run the same car with the steel brakes -- I'll post my opinion.
Old 05-02-2016, 01:20 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

****991 GT3 PCCB replacement rotors available in less than 2 weeks****
Old 05-02-2016, 03:53 PM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig - RennStore.com
****991 GT3 PCCB replacement rotors available in less than 2 weeks****
? Pricing?
Old 05-02-2016, 03:59 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

PM sent!
Old 05-02-2016, 11:40 PM
Tak195
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NMM991
After 14,750 total miles and almost 2,100 track miles I decided to switch to the 380 mm OEM cast iron brakes -- the cost, including labor and all OEM components including the red calipers, was less than the cost of two ceramic front rotors.

After we removed the PCCBs from the car, we did a very thorough check of all components and carefully read the carbon density -- the results surprised me and are not entirely consistent with other posts on this thread -- essentially the front rotors had 80% remaining life and the rears had about 85%. Admittedly I am not hard are the brakes and take care to cool them after every track session, and about 2/3s of the track miles were at Lime Rock which is not particularly hard on beds (in my opinion). The car is a 2015 GT3.

I also am considering replacing my PCCB with OEM steel brakes before the PCCB rotors wear to much.

What do Porsche dealerships consider the lowest % wear on PCCB rotors that they would accept for a trade in and resell?
Old 05-03-2016, 07:35 AM
PierreTT
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Tak195
I also am considering replacing my PCCB with OEM steel brakes before the PCCB rotors wear to much.

What do Porsche dealerships consider the lowest % wear on PCCB rotors that they would accept for a trade in and resell?
I dont have your answer but want to clarify something:
You cannot just switch to OEM Iron brakes. You also need to change cailpers if you want to run 380mm disks (my understanding).

I looked into this before and the easiest way was to swap to 410mm Iron disks so the yellow calipers would still fit perfectly. Girodisc and RB do sell direct replacement 410mm disks.

Hope this help.

Cheers
Pierre
Old 05-03-2016, 08:38 AM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

That's correct. Both the rotor diameter and offset are different between pccb and standard brakes.

RB has been shipping iron replacement rotors for pccb more than a year now. Click below links for our new low price.

Iron Replacement:

Iron rotors (410/390mm) replacement:
http://www.racingbrake.com/RB-Iron-R...por-irk-03.htm
We also offer iron rotor compatible brake pads for street and track to fit yellow calipers.

Complete iron brake kit (19" wheels) : 380/380mm rotors with RB 6/4 pot calipers
http://www.racingbrake.com/RB-Iron-R...por-irk-03.htm

Complete iron brake kit (20"+ wheels): 410/390mm rotors with RB 6/4 pot calipers
http://www.racingbrake.com/RB-Calipe...por-irp-01.htm

RB Calipers are with open top for easy pad change - A caliper made for track easy.

CCM Replacement:

If you like pccb and are concerned of the replacement cost, consider the following options:

410/390mm rotors only - Discs made by Surface Transforms/UK for a bolt on installation to yellow pccb calipers.
http://www.racingbrake.com/RB-CCM-Re...por-crk-01.htm

RB/ST CCM-X replacement discs which are made of continuous fiber and are much stronger and durable than factory pccb, not only they cost 1/2 of dealer cost but they are re-furbishable, costing less than iron ring replacement.
Complete RB-CCM brake kit (394/390mm)* - Discs are same as ZR1 made by Brembo.
http://www.racingbrake.com/RB-CCB-Sy...ccb-por-01.htm

They may not last as long as RB/ST rotors but the replacement cost is so low (~$1200-$1600)/ea that you don't even have to consider refurbishing them (just like Corvette owners).

*Upgrade to ST discs are available for 394/390mm brake kit.
Compatible brake pads for CCM are available:
  • Street only - RB XT910
  • In between - ZR1 OE pads
  • Track only - RB sintered pads

info@racingbrake.com

Tel: 714-871-6392
Old 05-04-2016, 12:43 AM
Tak195
Rennlist Member

Pierre & RB folks, thanks for the info on PCCB rotor replacement. I have been looking at options of replacing the the PCCB rotors only with iron, or changing the brakes to the 380mm standard rotors and calipers as I understand was done by NMM991.

The timing of when to switch the PCCB to iron is what I will have to figure out. I would like to have enough PCCB rotor life remaining so that I have the option of trading the car in and not have the dealer adjust the trade in value for having to replace the PCCB rotors prior to resale.
Old 05-06-2016, 09:22 PM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

Understood people have their own plans in regard to how they would use or preserve their brakes, but the good news is RB offers both set up (pccb or iron*) and we make the choice available at any time in case your plan has a change.

*We will soon be releasing 394/390 iron rotor kit which is fully compatible with our RCCB kits (with ZR1 rotors) so you can seamlessly swap between CCM rotors and iron rotors anytime you want - Unlike OE they are two separate set up between pccb and standard iron brake.
Old 05-29-2016, 12:33 AM
Jono809
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Will do, I am interested in comparing them on the track -- next day is May 16th. Only have about 50 miles on them so far, not fully bedded in and I can notice it. I've heard all positives from those that run the same car with the steel brakes -- I'll post my opinion.
How did you go with the new steel rotor setup?

What pads are you using? I found pagid RS29 & Girodisc setup to be extremely durable and they would easily work without fade, my tyres (cup 2s) would always overheat first on my 997.2 GT3
Old 05-29-2016, 06:19 AM
Nodrip
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jono809
I found pagid RS29 & Girodisc setup to be extremely durable and they would easily work without fade, my tyres (cup 2s) would always overheat first on my 997.2 GT3
RS29 durable? They overheat pretty quickly when they reach around 50% of their life...
Old 05-29-2016, 09:25 AM
NMM991
Racer

Originally Posted by Jono809
How did you go with the new steel rotor setup?

What pads are you using? I found pagid RS29 & Girodisc setup to be extremely durable and they would easily work without fade, my tyres (cup 2s) would always overheat first on my 997.2 GT3
Without doing a "side by side" comparison it is hard to evaluate the stock cast iron brakes (380 mm) against the stock PCCB (410 mm). I do not notice any difference in the unsprung weight and did not expect to, although I am sure at some level there is a performance difference.

On the race track, the cast iron brakes did not bite as well on the initial braking (hard brake followed by a modulating trail brake) as the PCCBs, the difference to me was pretty significant. However, the overall effectiveness of the brakes was very similar, the cast irons just didn't have the same feel -- very subjective. The cast iron stopped/slowed the car very effectively.

I am using the stock pads for the initial changeover. I will explore options, will look for a slightly more aggressive track pad that is still very useable on the street (and dust free -- good luck!). Hope this helps.

The Racing Brake option (RB/ST CCM-X replacement discs) might be a good one to consider -- up front cost is probably the equivalent of what I paid for the OEM cast iron components (same as Suncoast pricing). But I have not seen much feedback.
Old 05-29-2016, 09:59 AM
Nodrip
Instructor

On the race track, the cast iron brakes did not bite as well on the initial braking (hard brake followed by a modulating trail brake) as the PCCBs, the difference to me was pretty significant. However, the overall effectiveness of the brakes was very similar, the cast irons just didn't have the same feel -- very subjective. The cast iron stopped/slowed the car very effectively.
I read somewhere that the PCCB brakes have a different "modulation" on how the force is applied. If you put the same pedal pressure on PCCB and steel brakes, the force applied on PCCB rotors will be higher.
Before I got my GT3, I had a car from another brand, with steel rotors, and brakes had a really high amount of initial-bite compared to GT3's steel brakes.

I'm not saying that PCCB don't have a better initial bite, but that the "brake pressure calibration" is probably the main factor of this feeling.
Old 05-29-2016, 01:45 PM
NMM991
Racer

Originally Posted by Nodrip
I read somewhere that the PCCB brakes have a different "modulation" on how the force is applied. If you put the same pedal pressure on PCCB and steel brakes, the force applied on PCCB rotors will be higher.
Before I got my GT3, I had a car from another brand, with steel rotors, and brakes had a really high amount of initial-bite compared to GT3's steel brakes.

I'm not saying that PCCB don't have a better initial bite, but that the "brake pressure calibration" is probably the main factor of this feeling.
You could be correct, although if true it may be in the plumbing of the calipers. As far as I know, there was no reprogramming of the ECU or other system to reflect that we had switched from PCCBs to CI. I did replace break lines, but as far as I know these were the same as came off the car. I will ask my service technician what he may know.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:01 PM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Nodrip

Brake coefficient of friction is a combination of brake pad and rotor. CCM rotor is much harder than iron, and has superior thermal stability so it will not "soften" as iron when the temperature is elevated, so finding a brake pad for CCM rotor application with high initial bite remains as a challenge.

RB has developed the sintered brake pad which is a 100% metallic compound dedicated for CCM track use. They have been tested in both GTR and Corvette track communities with very satisfactory result, but they are made for ZR1 CCM set up only - Available as in RB-CCM brake kit*.

http://www.racingbrake.com/RB-CCB-Sy...ccb-por-01.htm

We would love to have 991 GT3 track drivers try this set up and compare to factory pccb and iron replacement option, which is what's lacking in Porsche community - Although we have shipped several pccb replacement rotors (ST discs), but we don't get a direct feedback how they compare to pccb.

Main advantage of this kit is the discs are standard Corvette C7 CCM rotors so replacement cost are easily available, and cost is very affordable that you don't even have to consider refurbishing, and they last longer than iron rotors we know this by facts as we offer iron replacement but very few ZR1 owners are replacing them...

Quick Reply: New PCCB and Track days – Facts Feedback Thread