Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Centerlock Wheel Installation Comments

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 10:00 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

4pages of comments on how to take off wheels?! I doubt a 5-lug thread would be as long.
Kudos to all you gentlemen who have the patience and fortitude to put up w/ Porsche's rendition of the wheel. I for one am not so I'll wait for a 5-lug.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:48 AM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I have this tool in my notes, I believe someone mentioned its the same make as the snap-on
Amazon.com: Central Tool 6380 4:1 Torque Multiplier: Automotive Amazon.com: Central Tool 6380 4:1 Torque Multiplier: Automotive
Old 11-21-2014, 10:50 AM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ttdan
Can you get Stahwhile tools in the US?

Their torque wrench can be used as a breaker bar in reverse with no effect on the mechanism, makes it easier as you just leave the nut (bolt) tool in place. God spec too at +\- 4%, 730r is the model to look for.
Amazon has them although not always at the best price. We'd probably be better off organizing a group buy and flying someone to the EU to buy a bunch.

I see this one but it doesn't have the breaker bar feature:
Amazon Amazon
Old 11-21-2014, 10:53 AM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Thanks, I'm still evaluating all the various options. Any recommendations on the torque multiplier?
This kit has been common from my findings, no multiplier and it breaks down to fit in your car. I'm not really familiar with the brand though.
http://www.toolsource.com/inch-drive...-p-149886.html
Old 11-21-2014, 11:27 AM
CALSE
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
4pages of comments on how to take off wheels?! I doubt a 5-lug thread would be as long. Kudos to all you gentlemen who have the patience and fortitude to put up w/ Porsche's rendition of the wheel. I for one am not so I'll wait for a 5-lug.
I would have loved to have the 5-lug but who knows when it will become available. Track day this weekend, and my GT3 with brand new CL wheel shoes is ready to go!

It's a new system for most of us. The CL wheel was a big mystery to me because I didn't understand how it completely worked, and I didn't have the necessary tools. Once you have the tools, the only real difference in my opinion is that you have to apply the anti-seizing goo but the rest is pretty much the same procedure as the 5-lug (raise lift, apply brake, remove, re-install, apply brake, tighten, torque, and lower lift). If no greasing was involved, the CL wheel change-out is probably faster.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:40 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

The torque multiplier doesn't seem like the ideal tool. The reaction bar has to be placed against the ground for the multiplier effect to work, so then to "back off" the CL after the first torque sequence you'd have to flip the reaction bar around to apply torwue the other direction, and then back again for final torque. Add to that the +/- 10% torque uncertainty and it feels a bit sketchy compared to the long bar. The pro is certainly that you don't need a new torque wrench, but the con is you have to have something to react that bar against during torquing.

What do folks think?
Old 11-21-2014, 11:42 AM
JFA65
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The Precision Instruments wrench bigkraig referenced is made by a company owned by Snapon and they make Snapons tools. I just received mine from Tooltopia for $320 including shipping and carrying case. Quality product.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:52 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Hilarious you think that 5 lugs involve the same process as CLs and that only the grease makes changing CLs take longer!
Let me put it simply : 70% of folks putting 5 lugs on do not use a torque wrench and are fine,as long as they follow a star pattern tightening sequence and do not torque the heck out of them to the point of breaking. Even if they torque them too much,wheels do not come off,but they might warp the rotors. Use an impact and it will take you 30 seconds per wheel.
CLs on the other hand : follow the exact procedure or you're f**ked!
Old 11-21-2014, 11:59 AM
CALSE
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Hilarious you think that 5 lugs involve the same process as CLs and that only the grease makes changing CLs take longer! Let me put it simply : 70% of folks putting 5 lugs on do not use a torque wrench and are fine,as long as they follow a star pattern tightening sequence and do not torque the heck out of them to the point of breaking. Even if they torque them too much,wheels do not come off,but they might warp the rotors. Use an impact and it will take you 30 seconds per wheel. CLs on the other hand : follow procedure up to a T or you're f**ked!
I still torque my 5-lug in the star pattern. I don't have the feel that 70% of you guys out there.:-(

I concur that you have to follow the CL procedure meticulously as it doesn't offer the same redundancy the other.:O
Old 11-21-2014, 12:14 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by CALSE
I still torque my 5-lug in the star pattern. I don't have the feel that 70% of you guys out there.:-( I concur that you have to follow the CL procedure meticulously as it doesn't offer the same redundancy the other.:O
The 70%-I've made that number up. I don't know exactly how many torque their 5 lugs using a torque wrench,but from my observation most do not...
Old 11-21-2014, 12:31 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
The 70%-I've made that number up. I don't know exactly how many torque their 5 lugs using a torque wrench,but from my observation most do not...
Every tire shop here uses a torque wrench. I've always used one for the past 15 years. Many times the issue is over torquing the lugs. Then they can crack and snap off while driving. I've seen this at the track, and unfortunately experienced this myself with catastrophic failure.....on the highway, and a stud cracked. With the wheel rotation it was only a matter of seconds before they all broke and the wheel came off. Fortunately I came to a stop right as the wheel dropped. This was in a Dodge Durango in 2000.

Always, properly torque your wheel bolts, lugs to the mfr settings. It is way too dangerous not to do so, especially if you track your car.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:37 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by doubleurx
Every tire shop here uses a torque wrench. I've always used one for the past 15 years. Many times the issue is over torquing the lugs. Then they can crack and snap off while driving. I've seen this at the track, and unfortunately experienced this myself with catastrophic failure.....on the highway, and a stud cracked. With the wheel rotation it was only a matter of seconds before they all broke and the wheel came off. Fortunately I came to a stop right as the wheel dropped. This was in a Dodge Durango in 2000. Always, properly torque your wheel bolts, lugs to the mfr settings. It is way too dangerous not to do so, especially if you track your car.
Good advice and I agree.

But trust me,around here I haven't seen one shop that torques wheels,NOT ONE! Shops are the worst offenders!
Old 11-21-2014, 12:53 PM
Money2536
Race Car

Received 228 Likes on 74 Posts

I'm so confused. I'm inspired to get my own tools, now I just need to figure out what to get.
Old 11-21-2014, 01:08 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

in my neck of the woods, DIscount Tire and NTB always torque them down. Of course I double check them!

Last edited by kosmo; 11-24-2014 at 09:34 AM.
Old 11-21-2014, 01:12 PM
sebearstian
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Money2536
I'm so confused. I'm inspired to get my own tools, now I just need to figure out what to get.
After reading all the comments, I am still confused which is the best tool to buy. The all in one torque wrench+ extendable breaker tool combo, or buy them seperately?

Quick Reply: Centerlock Wheel Installation Comments