Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oct issue of EVO magazine

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 10:02 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 916 Posts

Blue 4.0 for the win. Absolute no-brainer.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:04 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

i may just have to have me a 991RS......

everybody says these new 991s are just fantastic!
Old 08-14-2013, 10:14 PM
Dude-
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tire angle is desperate.

Dealer: Thank you Mr. Jones, your total is 250K, hope you enjoy driving your MP.

Mr. Jones: Can't wait to get it on the track!

Dealer: Oh! the track? you might want to option for the light wheels and stickier tires....

Mr. Jones: Why?

Dealer: Well a pure stock GT3 can smoke you. You need the better wheels and tires to fend him off.

COMICAL!!!
Old 08-14-2013, 10:16 PM
tmg57
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I'm in Monterey for Historics week and don't have the wherewithal to scan and post. Maybe someone else can risk the copyright infringement.
We're headed out there tomorrow. If you're going to the Concours on Sunday, send me a PM and maybe we can say hi at the event.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:30 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Just FYI Dez, there is a lot more to the review than has been posted here. There is much more on the McLaren-GT3 comparison, and the whole section on the GT3 versus the GT-R is not shown. If you've read the whole thing in EVO, and still feel it's incomplete, then fair enough.
I understand. It still seems like the majority of the article is subjective rather than hard data. I could be wrong but it doesn't sound like the actual tire data is mentioned. The RS and GT-R weren't tested on the track, and unless they did a hill climb or rally style timed competition on the roads, it doesn't sound like there is any hard data there either.

It's hard enough to decipher on the more detailed mag tests. I like to see some hard data to decipher what is what. Video even better.

For me, I will wait for a review with more hard data to compare.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:31 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Blue 4.0 for the win. Absolute no-brainer.
Nizer. You might want to check out my other thread on what the Mexico Blue 4.0RS owner said about the 991 GT3 when he was given a 30 minute test drive. I suspect hes ordered one now...to compliment his 4.0RS of course!

Its very interesting isnt it that we are now comparing the base GT3 with the ultra rare, already valuable and classic 500 bhp 997 4.0RS the absolute pinnacle of Porsche Motorsport engineering only 2 years ago? Usually youd test a new GT3 against the old one right? or perhaps the old one in RS guise to see if it could keep up. Now we are comparing to the great and late 4.0RS. Quite an achievement. Dont get me wrong Id love to own a 4.0RS but the 991GT3 for lad the price brand new sure seems to show it a hard time in real world driving. You are probably richer than me but I cant help but think the 991 GT3 is the absolute bargain of the decade in this company - heck it sees off the 2013 GTR (the other car I would have thought a bargain) as well as the 12C (70% more expensive). It will be interesting against the 458 on teh track too...
Old 08-14-2013, 10:39 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wanna911
I understand. It still seems like the majority of the article is subjective rather than hard data. I could be wrong but it doesn't sound like the actual tire data is mentioned. The RS and GT-R weren't tested on the track, and unless they did a hill climb or rally style timed competition on the roads, it doesn't sound like there is any hard data there either.

It's hard enough to decipher on the more detailed mag tests. I like to see some hard data to decipher what is what. Video even better.

Wanna911. I agree these are just road reviews stolen with limited time during official Porsche press drives in the UK and Germany. They even comment as much in the articles. You will find hard data reviews especially on track in September when the magazines get their hands on these press cars for 2-3 days at a time. I suspect they squeezed the Bedford track in on the naughty when they were supposed to be road testing the car for the afternoon....

Rest assured within 5 weeks you will have all you need to feast on and it will be very interesting, especially the PBox traces as comparos against the outgoing manual car - will be interesting to see how the box improves trace smoothness and the types of entry and exit speeds achieved with the new chassis and RWS in the corners...

I should have an answer from Jethro shortly on the tyres used during the test but as per my other thread he was driving them both as fast as he could and beat Meadens previous best time in 12C on that track by a few tenths...these two arent professional drivers but they are both similar in skill to CH. As Jethro says on Pistonheads - if Tiff Needle had have been testing these cars they would have been faster again but Tiff throws them around pretty hard (over the chicanes etc) and obviously the cars owners prefer they are kept on the black stuff...
Old 08-14-2013, 11:13 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Nizer. You might want to check out my other thread on what the Mexico Blue 4.0RS owner said about the 991 GT3 when he was given a 30 minute test drive. I suspect hes ordered one now...to compliment his 4.0RS of course!..
Read it. Choice remains the same. Offered either at MSRP it would be 4.0 no brainer. Putting aside that one will go up in value while the other will drop, I've no interest in Porsche beta testing their new tech on my dime. Been there, done that.

What most here seem to be missing is that all the issues that surfaced with the 997 GT3 - weak clutches, under-engineered center locks, sup-par coolant fittings, etc. - never showed up in any journo road or track tests. We'll see how things shake out with two years of real-world ownership and track miles.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:15 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911

With all of these reviews so far there's been a lot of subjective stuff. While I think these opinions have been pretty revealing I agree with you; I'd like to see some hard numbers too.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:20 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Hindsight is a wonderful thing (regards the 4.0RS). I think it was the 3.8 crowd who did tehe beta testing for the 4.0RS guys...or maybe they did it together.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:24 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by tmg57
We're headed out there tomorrow. If you're going to the Concours on Sunday, send me a PM and maybe we can say hi at the event.
That would be great, but I won't be at Pebble on Sunday. Going to do the Porsche Zentrum deal on Thursday (supposed to be a GT3 there), Legends of the Autobahn on Friday, and Laguna both days on the weekend. I've got to make it to the Concours again; it's been quite a while.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:13 AM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Read it. Choice remains the same. Offered either at MSRP it would be 4.0 no brainer. Putting aside that one will go up in value while the other will drop, I've no interest in Porsche beta testing their new tech on my dime. Been there, done that.

What most here seem to be missing is that all the issues that surfaced with the 997 GT3 - weak clutches, under-engineered center locks, sup-par coolant fittings, etc. - never showed up in any journo road or track tests. We'll see how things shake out with two years of real-world ownership and track miles.
So you have a line on $186k zero mile 4.0's with new car warranty?

The 4.0 may or may not retain its value. But it won't be based on performance. It will be based on rarity and low mileage. Just like my 94 Turbo 3.6.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:27 AM
Nan P
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks for posting these articles guys....interesting reads.
I'd love either a 4.0 or the new 991GT3, but with the 4.0 trading for large $$$$, it's probably the new GT3 I'd be leaning to...

Thing is everytime I go for a long drive in my old RS, I come back fizzed with excitement & can't think of anything else I'd ever need in a performance car. Lets face it, any Porsche with a GT badge on the rear is an exciting drive. Maybe I should keep my old RS & add a new 991GT3 to the garage; best of both worlds.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:29 AM
Nan P
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
i may just have to have me a 991RS......

everybody says these new 991s are just fantastic!
Well said....well said
Old 08-15-2013, 03:00 AM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Digital version is now available to US readership

Quick Reply: Oct issue of EVO magazine