991 GT3 - 'Shut up and drive' says Porsche GT3 boss

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 09:54 AM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stevecolletti
Originally Posted by RR
I'm a gt3 customer and I don't take offense to what he is saying.
For the other gt3 customers that are really truly offended- don't buy the car.
To clarify, when you say "I'm a gt3 customer", does that mean "I own a GT3", or "I'm ordering one of these cars?"... I'm just looking for the perspective.
I own an 07 RS picked up in germany and kept over there for 6 months. I also was the first in my area to get my 04 GT3.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:18 AM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Horstair
First spell-check your posts, and second, don't get personal
I'm German -and I do wear Lederhosen and eat Sauerkraut- but I take offense to that comment! Why don't we keep the discussion "auto-oriented"?
I am stating facts based on discussions of events with all of my friends that do have direct dealings with Porsche AG in NA.....I don't know any Germans personally but I do hear what most say about the attitude of PAG reps, where they NEVER listen and always stick to what they believe...if that upsets you, I am sorry but I am not bending my statements....it is totally related to the subject of P cars , not politics.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:20 AM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
i am not sure if i am happy, unhappy or nonchalant; though i do have SEVERAL different 7.2RS for sale.
but i would love to hear other RS owners' view on what made them unhappy.
yes: CL, coolant lines, nannies, engine tranny failure. these i know already and trying hard to ignore. but any other things we are unhappy about? i am just curious.

i buy p cars for some strange reasons, nothing to do with performance really. but that's a looooooooooooong story.

nothing against or for AP, but he is speaking for PAG, not for himself. frankly like it or not, when your paychk is on the line, you WILL say what you are told to say. cut me a $5MM check, i'll say a lot of things that i would not believe would come out of my own mouth. so take his comment with grain of salt.

i like how fast pdk shifts. i am in line for one. i am hoping some of my crazier friends would get theirs before me so i can drive one and see if i need to dump yet more hard earned money out the window.
Mooty: I am in the same boat as you, prolly will continue to buy these cars regardless, I am afraid of venturing out ...Whats the name of that Syndrome
Old 04-26-2013, 11:33 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

If the Louts Exige S came to NA. Porsche

or big dream here the Alpine A110-50
Old 04-26-2013, 12:07 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 414 Posts

[QUOTE=malmasri;10416283]Mooty: I am in the same boat as you, prolly will continue to buy these cars regardless, I am afraid of venturing out ...Whats the name of that Syndrome[.

""Experience is never to make the same mistake twice."" But since I turned 50 CRS Syndrome rules now

Or to paraphrase "Stupidity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result" sorta like Mooty and his love for 6GT3's at I believe 6 and counting.

Peter
Old 04-26-2013, 03:22 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RR
I own an 07 RS picked up in germany and kept over there for 6 months. I also was the first in my area to get my 04 GT3.
Thank you!
Old 04-27-2013, 01:50 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by 85Gold
"Stupidity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result"
Peter
I will proof Einstein wrong, win Nobel prose and use that money got another 6gt3.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:12 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no doubt you sell more and as I did inquire about a GT3 there you get them early. At the time I was not willing to add market adjustment pricing to my budget and purchased elsewhere for sticker. The people posting on this and the other GT3 strings most likely do not fit into your customer profile. IT is ALL about track worthiness for the majority of this crowd.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:21 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

1) AP is paid to promote his cars, not slate them. Stop expecting him to say anything negative. Why can't you just form your own opinions when you see the car on the road and maybe get a chance to drive it?

2) Every MY GT3 ever made has sold well. Witness the current shortage of 997 / 996 gt3's on the market. Porsche are aware of this and clearly want to fill that demand. At the moment MSRP of $180K looks like an absolute steal for a 4.0RS (pls, no remarks about future pricing. We can argue till doomsday, however TODAY its a >200K car)

3) The 991 GT3 is a faster car than the 997.2 RS. This is virtually guaranteed, despite Rad's insistence to the contrary (someone link it for me pls). Porsche will not shoot themselves in the head by building a car that turns out to be worse than the one its supposed to replace. The gap will also be wider than the one found between the 996.2 RS and the 997.1 gt3.

4) Those who are seriously interested in lapping quickly should welcome PDK-S. Regardless of what wanna911 says, paddles are faster. Witness the 997 GT3R, RSR, the 991 Cup, 991 RSR, and every single FIA-GT3 car in production today. Those cars (minus the Cup) have adjustable ABS and adjustable TC.

5) For the manual die hards, I totally respect where you're coming from, and thats why I'm keeping my 997.1 gt3 regardless of what P-car I buy next (probably 991RS). Yeah, not everyone can afford multiple gt3's in their stable, but, thats the price of sentimentality.

6) "Track worthiness". This bugs me a bit. The GT3 is a DE car. Not a race car. So Porsche want to make it so the DE guy can enjoy it as much as possible. But make no mistake, they EXPECT the car on race tracks. Just not necessarily racing. Thats why they have the Cup. Budget you say? Bahahahaah

7) "Shut up and drive". Thank you AP. Ultimate judgement will be reserved for after driving this car.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:51 AM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BBMGT3
1) AP is paid to promote his cars, not slate them. Stop expecting him to say anything negative. Why can't you just form your own opinions when you see the car on the road and maybe get a chance to drive it?

2) Every MY GT3 ever made has sold well. Witness the current shortage of 997 / 996 gt3's on the market. Porsche are aware of this and clearly want to fill that demand. At the moment MSRP of $180K looks like an absolute steal for a 4.0RS (pls, no remarks about future pricing. We can argue till doomsday, however TODAY its a >200K car)

3) The 991 GT3 is a faster car than the 997.2 RS. This is virtually guaranteed, despite Rad's insistence to the contrary (someone link it for me pls). Porsche will not shoot themselves in the head by building a car that turns out to be worse than the one its supposed to replace. The gap will also be wider than the one found between the 996.2 RS and the 997.1 gt3.

4) Those who are seriously interested in lapping quickly should welcome PDK-S. Regardless of what wanna911 says, paddles are faster. Witness the 997 GT3R, RSR, the 991 Cup, 991 RSR, and every single FIA-GT3 car in production today. Those cars (minus the Cup) have adjustable ABS and adjustable TC.

5) For the manual die hards, I totally respect where you're coming from, and thats why I'm keeping my 997.1 gt3 regardless of what P-car I buy next (probably 991RS). Yeah, not everyone can afford multiple gt3's in their stable, but, thats the price of sentimentality.

6) "Track worthiness". This bugs me a bit. The GT3 is a DE car. Not a race car. So Porsche want to make it so the DE guy can enjoy it as much as possible. But make no mistake, they EXPECT the car on race tracks. Just not necessarily racing. Thats why they have the Cup. Budget you say? Bahahahaah

7) "Shut up and drive". Thank you AP. Ultimate judgement will be reserved for after driving this car.
Hi BBEMGT3,

Well written..

just two annotations..on
6) - dont forget the car will not be allowed in Germany to run in the own organised series Porschce Sports Cup. Everything else (996 + 997 GT3 GT2 etc) can- is allowed to. The official reason given is that the bucket seats for the 991 GT3 have no FIA homologation..and therefore the car is not allowed to participate as the series is running under FIA regulation..I take my conclusion from this already. The 991 GT3 would be the first GT3 that cant participate..

7) yes and no..its never nice to act in such a way to your customers..I dont see Appple CEOs telling their customer "i.phone or shut up"...not very proffessional in my opinion..
Old 04-29-2013, 07:23 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche.collector
Hi BBEMGT3,

Well written..

just two annotations..on
6) - dont forget the car will not be allowed in Germany to run in the own organised series Porschce Sports Cup. Everything else (996 + 997 GT3 GT2 etc) can- is allowed to. The official reason given is that the bucket seats for the 991 GT3 have no FIA homologation..and therefore the car is not allowed to participate as the series is running under FIA regulation..I take my conclusion from this already. The 991 GT3 would be the first GT3 that cant participate..

7) yes and no..its never nice to act in such a way to your customers..I dont see Appple CEOs telling their customer "i.phone or shut up"...not very proffessional in my opinion..
Good point about 6). Last I remember only OEM parts are allowed as modifications in Sports Cup, and since there is no OEM seat that fits the 991 yet then maybe no chance of running. However, I am almost certain that this is a temporary situation. Also, the RoW cars ARE available with sports buckets... sooo, who knows? The Sports Cup regs for 2014 are not available yet and they tend to publish their addendums in October...

As for 7), I meant it a bit tongue and cheek. Telling someone to "shut up and drive" is such a vote of confidence in the car that it MUST be amazing. Or, maybe it isn't. People who step out of the car and say "meh, not for me" will probably be lost by Porsche forever. Frankly, I kinda admire AP's confidence in his car. Must really be something special...
Old 04-29-2013, 07:33 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The car will qualify for PSC. The European car ships with folding bucket as an option but besides that there will be a single piece fixed bucket solution by the time the car is delivered (although it will likely be a retrofit option). Porsche understand the (competition) issue and are addressing it. The sudden shift in legislation was the issue here.

From what we know of Steve Jobs if you have put down his new iphone product without every having seen one with your own eyes let alone tried one he certainly would have told you worse than "Shut up and Try it", regardless to whether your were a potential client, I can assure you! My translation of AP here is "dont open your mouth and complain about something until you cave given it a go yourself". Its also a sign of his conviction that this car will teach those doubters something too. I hope he is right.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:58 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

The official reason given is that the bucket seats for the 991 GT3 have no FIA homologation..and therefore the car is not allowed to participate as the series is running under FIA regulation.
Can you add any more info? Doesn't make any sense. Couldn't the 991 Cup be using seats that have been used in previous generation Cup cars?
Old 04-29-2013, 02:20 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

BBMGT3 and Macca; excellent points. AP has established his credentials as an engineer and someone who is clearly interested in creating exceptional cars. It blows me away that in one moment we have posts about the greatness and timeless appeal of the 4.0RS and other GT cars that AP has developed, and in the next, comments that suggest that he has suddenly become a mere shill for the company and forgotten what makes a great performance car. Not to mention that all of the negativity is based on pure conjecture rather than real world results. No wonder the man says "Shut up and Drive". If I were him, I could think of rather more pithy things to say.

I don't have to have "drunk the Kool-Aid" or "sold out to Porsche marketing" to hold this POV. It's a matter of simple fairness and professional respect for an engineer who deserves the benefit of the doubt based on his accomplishments, and simple logic not to pass judgment on something new without complete information or using pre-conceived bias.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 04-29-2013 at 02:36 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:45 PM
That Guy
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well said Mike, it's not as if any of the folks charged with developing these cars suddenly forgot how to make them well.

Why take offense, AP's right - don't knock it before you've even tried it.

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 - 'Shut up and drive' says Porsche GT3 boss