Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Orthojoe .2 GT3 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 07:03 PM
laranja
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Both stripes look cool, and it is weird to see Steve with a blue car!

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Nope! Believe it! LOL!
Do I go for it all, or just take a step back and stop burning money... ? LOL
C'mon - you started this thing!
and it's only Miata units.
So: Burn baby burn!
Old 04-28-2018, 07:14 PM
ajag
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33

Worh the light clutch and high engagement, I’m having a hard time driving the GT3 smoothly compared to the GT4!
I feel the same way, I'm at 900ish miles on the GT3 so it may continue to loosen up a bit, but at this point I'm preferring the GT4 shifter, which was perfect IMHO.
Old 04-28-2018, 09:39 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Stripe is from renndecals. Much more reasonably priced
Old 04-28-2018, 10:15 PM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Stripe is from renndecals. Much more reasonably priced
much appreciated
Old 04-28-2018, 11:24 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by laranja
Both stripes look cool, and it is weird to see Steve with a blue car!C'mon - you started this thing!
and it's only Miata units.
So: Burn baby burn!
Dude, these miata units are turning out to be more costly than tracking a Porsche! LOL!
Old 04-29-2018, 04:38 AM
RobertR1
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts

Congrats Joe! Sub 55's at Thill (over the top) and 45's at Sonoma should be doable in that car running stock while getting comfortable. Looking forward to seeing the vids and data. Seems like a major step up from the .1 in terms of laptime.
Old 04-29-2018, 10:42 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,798 Likes on 2,196 Posts

Originally Posted by RobertR1
Seems like a major step up from the .1 in terms of laptime.
I'm thinking about 1.5 s per minute, about half of that due to the N1 tire (which fits the .1).
Old 04-29-2018, 11:43 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

Originally Posted by ajag
I feel the same way, I'm at 900ish miles on the GT3 so it may continue to loosen up a bit, but at this point I'm preferring the GT4 shifter, which was perfect IMHO.
Almost 1000 miles now and prefer GT3 shifter over GT4 and I love the GT4 shifter. The lighter clutch was concerning for the first few hundred miles but now it is a welcome.
Old 05-02-2018, 12:47 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Well, I finally got around to taking the new car out to it's first track day. I left the car completely factory bone stock. Stock brake pads, stock alignment, stock sway bar settings. Stock everything.

The short of it: It's a fast car. Tangibly faster than the .1.

My prior best at Thunderhill over the top was a 1:57.3 in the .1 GT3.
After one warm up lap, my very first hot lap in the new car was a 1:57.3. This is after almost 5 months of not driving a Porsche GT car on track. My braking zones and turn in points were all messed up because I'm totally calibrated to spec miata right now. Too hot into corners and too slow to turn in because the car is on a different planet in terms of speed. Even so, I was able to turn consistent 1:57 laps over and over.
Contrast that with the .1 GT3 where I had to drive a nice tidy lap to get a 1:57.
Looking at the data, my best lap was 1:57.1, the best rolling lap was 1:56.8 and the theoretical best was 1:55.9 using 5 sectors. If I can drive the car nicely, get my shifting down right, 1:55 is very reasonable for the car and I know others have already done that. I can also see 1:54 in a hotshoe's hands and ideal conditions.

It seems crazy, but I think the car is almost 2 seconds faster than the .1. I don't think it's from the N1 tires. The lateral Gs recorded are no different than the N0 specs and the tires feel the same to me. It's the power. Looking at the data, I'm seeing 2-3mph more on top speeds than the prior car. That is substantial. More than you would see with a 25hp increase.

The shifter feels absolutely fanstastic to me. No problems shifting whatsoever. With auto-rev match and flatfoot shifting, I still strongly stand by my belief that the difference in lap times between PDK and manual are marginal. The advantage isn't in the shift times. It's in the ability to shift up and down at inopportune times for short periods of time. You can see me bouncing off the limiter in 4th coming into T1. PDK would just shift and then go right back down. In a different session I short shifted into 5th and gained an extra 2mph. For T7 I feel like I have to short shift or risk losing balance at the apex of T7. I'll need to experiment more and practice more with shifting, but once I get it figured out I'll wager the difference between PDK and manual is maybe 0.3 seconds at most. For almost all of us, that 0.3 seconds is within margin of error on any given lap.

The track app: once again, garbage. I was able to get it connected last week at home. At the track, it wouldnt connect no matter what I tried. GARBAGE.

Aim SOLO DL connection: In the .1 you were able to get brake pressure through OBD2 connector. Not anymore. Bummer.

The stock brake pads and fluid worked very well. It will be interesting to see the difference once I install a set of the AP calipers and rotors.

The .2 is a bigger step up from the .1 than I thought it would be in terms of performance. The manual transmission is really nice. You get to enjoy the involvement on the street, and you don't sacrifice anything on the track. I'll be trying out the car at Laguna and Sonoma this month as well. After that, it's back to racing.

Last edited by orthojoe; 05-02-2018 at 01:29 AM.
Old 05-02-2018, 01:07 AM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 226 Likes on 147 Posts

Very smooth, you make it look easy.

So 143 mph with the short shift to 5th? That's fast! I'll have to start saving my pennies.

Are your min speeds in the corners the same as in the 991.1? I know you said the lateral g's are the same, but it just looks more effortless to carry more speed.
Old 05-02-2018, 01:14 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Yargk
Very smooth, you make it look easy.

So 143 mph with the short shift to 5th? That's fast! I'll have to start saving my pennies.

Are your min speeds in the corners the same as in the 991.1? I know you said the lateral g's are the same, but it just looks more effortless to carry more speed.
Yup!
min speeds are the same
It's the engine that is making most of the difference.
Old 05-02-2018, 01:21 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

nice report

The short of it: It's fast car. Tangibly faster than the .1.
===> yes even on street i felt that and it war obvious.

The advantage isn't in the shift times. It's in the ability to shift up and down at inopportune times for short periods of time.
===> yep. but many wont believe it.

The .2 is a bigger step up from the .1 that I thought it would be in terms of performance. The manual transmission is really nice. You get to enjoy the involvement on the street, and you don't sacrifice anything on the track. I'll be trying out the car at Laguna and Sonoma this month as well. After that, it's back to racing.
===> lol, now you understand why i keep buying the latest.
Old 05-02-2018, 01:23 AM
laranja
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

DANG THAT SOUND! Frickin' Brilliant!
Old 05-02-2018, 02:04 AM
porscheflat6
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 147 Posts

Nicely done!
Old 05-02-2018, 02:10 AM
golfnutintib