Sponsored by:

Best Exhaust for a 991.2 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 03:55 PM
IRguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Our 991.2 GT3 is inbound and new dyno's will be done. In our experience if the banks are not sufficiently merged the dips get worse...
Hi Jamie,
When you talking about banks, you mean cylinder banks I assume? So would that mean the center muffler is essential?
By the way, your headers - without cats, where is basically no dip - will have no CEL without any software upgrade?
Thanks
Old 04-27-2018, 08:19 AM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Just ordered my IPE carback titanium exhaust from Wheel Boutique. I plan on doing a full review with exhaust weights, install process and a post install dyno. I will probably drive with it for awhile and see if I want to add Dundon or Fabspeed race headers with a custom connecting pipes. I’ll keep everyone updated.
Old 04-27-2018, 10:05 AM
IRguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by drdonger
Just ordered my IPE carback titanium exhaust from Wheel Boutique. I plan on doing a full review with exhaust weights, install process and a post install dyno. I will probably drive with it for awhile and see if I want to add Dundon or Fabspeed race headers with a custom connecting pipes. I’ll keep everyone updated.
That will be great!! Thank You!
Old 04-27-2018, 12:55 PM
WheelsB
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 949 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by drdonger
Excited for this! Thank you for your business

Wheels Boutique // 786 249 0127 // Sales@wheelsboutique.com
Follow us on YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/WheelsBoutique
Largest Dealer In The World for HRE Wheels, ANRKY Wheels, Vorsteiner Wheels & Aero, Akrapovic Exhaust, & iPE Exhaust
BBS, Forgeline, & TechArt Premium Dealer
Brembo / Rotiform / KW / H&R / Novitec / Brabus / Mansory and tons more...
Old 05-09-2018, 02:41 AM
aalencar
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 82 Posts

Man, this is so confusing. While I am pretty happy with the sound at higher rev, it is a little underwhelming at lower speeds.

Since I use the car for both street/highway driving and on track I would not mind some gains in power (do I really need it though) and really like the idea of weight saving and heat sparing from the side deletes. But would hate any drone.

Not sure I care that much about the use of the sport exhaust button as the more I think of it the more I realize it is pretty useless. But would want to have the car civilized enough for wife mode, bluetooth and radio use on highway.

Oh, really do not want to deal with CEL or risk my warranty. Dont really want/need to think about emissions...

Dundon appears like a cool option. Or this new akrapovic system. Or maybe I got it all wrong. In the end I feel it is just easier to leave the OEM. Porsche probably spent at least a few more hours trying to find this current balance than what I have spent trying to figure this out...
Old 05-09-2018, 06:07 PM
WheelsB
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Here's a video we put together in partnership with iPE Performance Exhaust. I hope you all enjoy

Old 05-09-2018, 06:18 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 226 Likes on 147 Posts

Best exhaust? Probably the stock one, but it would be interesting to see some computational fluid dynamics of the flow optimization of aftermarket systems (I think AWE does this, I'm not sure what other after market companies do). It would be good to see independent dyno tests of whatever comes out as well. Seems like there were gains to be had on the 991.1.
Old 05-09-2018, 08:58 PM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 436 Likes on 260 Posts

Here is a quick sound clip we had submitted to us by our friends over at R1 Motorsports:

sales@gmgracing.com
www.gmgracing.com

facebook l instagram l youtube l twitter

Porsche | Audi | Ferrari | Lamborghini | McLaren
Performance Tuning | Motorsport | Factory Service

Pirelli World Challege Race Team GT/GTA/GTS/TC
Pirelli GT3 Cup Trophy USA
Porsche Motorsport — Audi Sport Customer Racing — Lamborghini Super Trofeo Series
Old 05-09-2018, 10:58 PM
kbGT
Advanced

After what felt like a truly insane amount of research and privately polling current owners of the front-running center bypasses (GMG, GRP/BBi, Sharkwerks) I ended up springing for the GMG. Now that I've installed and lived with it for a week+, all I have to say is: holy $hit, this is what the car should've sounded like from the factory!

The GMG is mean, growly and significantly louder than stock. It reveals some of the motor's glorious (but subtle) burbles and pops, and allows no-lift upshifts to emit a satisfying POP-BANG! The GMG is loud enough where my wife thinks it's ridiculous, but she still smiles ear-to-ear when I step on it, so I'll call it "perfect." I ended up reconnecting my valves after installation as a compromise since it honestly was too loud to sneak in and out of the neighborhood on off-hours otherwise. I'm not hugely bummed about that, since I'm usually driving either above their closed range (pushing hard) or below it (tooling around town) so I rarely find myself crossing the threshold frequently enough for the abrupt shift in tone to annoy me. I can't imagine anyone doing a side muffler delete AND a center bypass, unless you either a) really want to f#ck with your neighbors or b) hold a large amount of stock in a company peddling painkillers.

The only downer about any of my experience was that I wasn't able to do the install without removing the rear bumper, which added a few hours to the process since it was my first time doing that procedure. I simply wasn't able to get the stock center muffler out of there without breaking off the flange bolts. I'm sure that was partially due to my semi-amateur mechanic skilz but I've done enough wrenching in my days to know that, after my third bloody knuckle in 10 minutes, I've met my match

The build quality of the GMG unit is crazy good, the customer service was impeccable, and it reached my house in 2 days from my first PM to James. Great customer service! So, overall, 5 out of 5 stars! Sound clip to come soon, once I get my video/mic setup sorted...

Old 05-10-2018, 11:33 AM
WheelsB
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Another little fun video that I think some of you might like Message me for details.

View this post on Instagram
Old 05-11-2018, 07:55 PM
James-GMG
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 111 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by kbGT
After what felt like a truly insane amount of research and privately polling current owners of the front-running center bypasses (GMG, GRP/BBi, Sharkwerks) I ended up springing for the GMG. Now that I've installed and lived with it for a week+, all I have to say is: holy $hit, this is what the car should've sounded like from the factory!

The GMG is mean, growly and significantly louder than stock. It reveals some of the motor's glorious (but subtle) burbles and pops, and allows no-lift upshifts to emit a satisfying POP-BANG! The GMG is loud enough where my wife thinks it's ridiculous, but she still smiles ear-to-ear when I step on it, so I'll call it "perfect." I ended up reconnecting my valves after installation as a compromise since it honestly was too loud to sneak in and out of the neighborhood on off-hours otherwise. I'm not hugely bummed about that, since I'm usually driving either above their closed range (pushing hard) or below it (tooling around town) so I rarely find myself crossing the threshold frequently enough for the abrupt shift in tone to annoy me. I can't imagine anyone doing a side muffler delete AND a center bypass, unless you either a) really want to f#ck with your neighbors or b) hold a large amount of stock in a company peddling painkillers.

The only downer about any of my experience was that I wasn't able to do the install without removing the rear bumper, which added a few hours to the process since it was my first time doing that procedure. I simply wasn't able to get the stock center muffler out of there without breaking off the flange bolts. I'm sure that was partially due to my semi-amateur mechanic skilz but I've done enough wrenching in my days to know that, after my third bloody knuckle in 10 minutes, I've met my match

The build quality of the GMG unit is crazy good, the customer service was impeccable, and it reached my house in 2 days from my first PM to James. Great customer service! So, overall, 5 out of 5 stars! Sound clip to come soon, once I get my video/mic setup sorted...

Fantastic Ken, thanks again for your honest feedback. You are in great hands with Dom and I am always available to you and any RL'er who has questions, etc about our product.
We have had a record year selling our Center Section exhausts and it's great to hear back from our customers who truly enjoy both the buying experience and the product from GMG.

ENJOY!

James F. Sofronas | President & Owner
Global Motorsports Group ™
E: james@gmgracing.com
P: +1 (714) 432-1582
F: +1 (714) 432-1590
A: 3210 South Shannon Street, Santa Ana, California 92704
W: gmgracing.com
Old 05-12-2018, 08:14 AM
wurlie
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While I do appreciate the ease of use of the center delete, it offers very little aside from a slightly different sound and a marginal weight reduction. If one chooses to keep OEM headers and cat to avoid potential (though not certain) CEL issues, replacing side mufflers with connection pipes that have vacuum activated valves leads to ~25kg weight reduction, with stock rear muffler in place.
I have done just that - it is a superior solution in my view.
The following users liked this post:
RonnyC (04-09-2021)
Old 05-12-2018, 02:01 PM
Dougr743
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

I have spend too much time listening, following, and debating what to get. I went with side delete fabspeed with valves. Heard them, sound great, the transition is so much less than with the center delete and is louder without a boomy sound. Its clean too. Nothing against the center delete, side delete just seems like the path of least resistance and simplifies the muffler mess. the side mufflers annoy me.lol May add the catless header at some point is i choose to
Old 05-13-2018, 01:49 AM
hayn911gt3
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Dougr743
I have spend too much time listening, following, and debating what to get. I went with side delete fabspeed with valves. Heard them, sound great, the transition is so much less than with the center delete and is louder without a boomy sound. Its clean too. Nothing against the center delete, side delete just seems like the path of least resistance and simplifies the muffler mess. the side mufflers annoy me.lol May add the catless header at some point is i choose to
I was looking at going this way as well with the Fabspeed valved side deletes. I heard good things and the product is top notch. Can you post some vids of how it sounds and looks when you can. Thanks.
Old 05-13-2018, 09:55 AM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Here are some pics of the install of my IPE titanium exhaust and bmc filters. There have been many misconceptions on the forum about the exhaust beeing poor qualify. As you can see the welds are excellent and so is the fit and finish. The titanium system saves 40lbs from the stock shstem. I weighed them to verify. Not only that, it reduces a lot of heat from the rear tires. The valve functions flawlessly and even has a heat shield around it. The drone is very minimal. I plan to do fabspeed or dundon race headers in addition to this side and rear section, still trying to figure out how to make a custom side pipe. I’ll be posting videos in the next few days. Don’t listen to everyone on the forum bashing this exhaust because it is a Taiwanese brand. The build quality is top notch. Too much forum politics and sponsorship. Why pay 2k for a rear bypass or 1200 for side bypasses in stainless steal? You can get a better exhaust made of titanium that sounds better than both.

Last edited by drdonger; 05-13-2018 at 11:21 AM.

Quick Reply: Best Exhaust for a 991.2 GT3