Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PTS now officially $12,830 and could go up!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 12:28 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
No, I am not a commissioned salesman! I am
much worse than that...a poor schmuck that
thinks one should expect & be able to get a
Porsche dealer to help HIM or HER get a
legitimate option (PTS) which is offered by
the manufacturer to its customers!

But you have convince me, Brett, that it doesn't
make sense for YOU to assist customers trying
to order PTS at your dealership. It's simply not
fair on YOU & it's not profitable enough for YOU.
Good thing you are not a Porsche 'Exclusive
Manufaktur Partner
' because if you were, I
would be a little concerned in hearing this
kind of negative 'attitude' about custom orders...
You should try ordering a PTS/CXX car, I don't think anyone enjoys the process and it has kept getting worse rather than better.

Not sure when you last ordered one, but the "Approved List" is pretty meaningless these days. I've also been sent my build sheet with 3 different prices for PTS on it and still not sure on final pricing for CXX options now 3 months after they were approved.

Dealers need to be fighting for customers to improve the process and streamline it or customers will just go elsewhere as you can see from other posts.
Old 08-04-2017, 12:50 PM
pimpinon
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

PTS is a necessary nuisance for Porsche. It allows Porsche to set apart a special segment of their customers.

The problem is managing expectations. Some customers expect to be able to order a PTS car even if it is their first ordered car. Some manage to do so by paying ADM. Dealerships that allow this gives the impression that the PTS process is purely a financial transaction.

I believe the intended spirit of PTS cars are to reward loyal customers for maintaining a long term relationship with the brand. As I see it now, most customers don't see it this way.

I suspect I myself wouldn't qualify using these standards. Purchasing 4-5 cars in the last 6 years from the same dealer might just get me on the bottom of the list.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:56 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

There is a lot that goes on behind the scenes w/ PTS and Porsche's suppliers that is beyond both control and belief. If Porsche can make good and easy money w/ PTS and customers are willing to pay then the process will become less cumbersome and as easy as writing the check. Everybody makes costs versus benefit calculations including major manufacturers. Like the man said, it's not personal, it's strictly business.
Old 08-04-2017, 02:11 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by mcsmcs1
The price increase does not limit the number of people doing PTS, as that is limited by how many PTS production slots Porsche offers. Perhaps, the price increase will result in 3 requests for every slot vs 4, but that does not in any way impact how many end up produced. There is therefore no net change to exclusivity at all, but Porsche does secure for itself more of the PTS premium which is the whole point. It is about increased profit with the added benefit of having to tell fewer people no.
There absolutely is if Porsche has been straining to meet all the PTS demand. How do you know that they haven't increased the number of cars painted PTS over time? And what if the requests are growing exponentially? Simple supply and demand. The only thing I'm shocked about is that they chose to raise this feature price so much and not raise the price of the base car more. Porsche is leaving money on the table with almost every GT3 they sell right now IMO.
Old 08-04-2017, 02:42 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
The only thing I'm shocked about is that they chose to raise this feature price so much and not raise the price of the base car more. Porsche is leaving money on the table with almost every GT3 they sell right now IMO.

Yeah, why stop there. The GT3 is $200K ++ car right?? Shoot for the moon.

Name:  photo410.jpg
Views: 914
Size:  27.0 KB
Old 08-04-2017, 02:52 PM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Received 284 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by jo_ker
put yourself in their shoes:

If i have too many PTS requests which i can fulfill. I will increase the price to get less requests. Absolutely clear.

All the rest would not be logic; in times where you can choose whom to sell a car for any price you want; and in times where you struggle with production capacity.

Why they should make things cheaper? They prefer to deny "just" each 2nd PTS request; instead of rejecting 4 out of 5...
I have heard from many people that the above ratios will not apply to this PTS round on the GT3.

Meaning, if the US gets allocated 100 PTS cars:
1. All 100 will be used. If people back out due to price, I would think the dealer will fill that PTS allocation.
2. Everyone who requested PTS during this PTS build time will get PTS.

Now, clearly if you want PTS AND your allocation does not fall during this PTS build time for the entire production run, then all PTS demand will not be met.

If anyone has knowledge otherwise, I would love to hear it. The above is not confirmed, just what I heard.
Old 08-04-2017, 02:56 PM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ
You should try ordering a PTS/CXX car, I don't think anyone enjoys the process and it has kept getting worse rather than better.

Not sure when you last ordered one, but the "Approved List" is pretty meaningless these days. I've also been sent my build sheet with 3 different prices for PTS on it and still not sure on final pricing for CXX options now 3 months after they were approved.

Dealers need to be fighting for customers to improve the process and streamline it or customers will just go elsewhere as you can see from other posts.
Give you a ton of credit - guys like you make it easy for guys like me to buy second hand I don't have enough spare brain cells for the damage you incur.

Assure you Bentley would not be building all new dealership if they thought customer experience was not important - Aston Ferrari Lamborghini Mclaren all have exclusive rooms to select ridiculous priced goodies while sipping champagne.

Last edited by nuvolari612; 08-04-2017 at 03:18 PM.
Old 08-04-2017, 03:16 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts
Default Oh, dear Nate...

You should try ordering a PTS/CXX car,
I don't think anyone enjoys the process
and it has kept getting worse rather than
better.

Not sure when you last ordered one, but
the "Approved List" is pretty meaningless
these days. I've also been sent my build
sheet with 3 different prices for PTS on it
and still not sure on final pricing for CXX
options now 3 months after they were
approved.
That is a novel idea, Nate! Thank you
for that thoughtful insight. I must admit
that I don't pay any attention to this
stuff like you obviously do! Please let
me know what threads here on Rennlist
you would recommend I read/study that
might shed some light on custom ordering
a 'Porsch' & PTS. I have heard of a few
(see below), but let me know if YOU have
found them helpful & recommend them to
a newbie like me! And it might come useful
on my .2 991 gt3 & next generation Boxster
Spyder that I am wait-listed for!

And I also must start paying attention to my
private messages. Seems like many Rennlisters
keep contacting me...and I don't know why!
Maybe I should re-direct these questions to
you, Nate, since you seem to be so 'full' of
good counsel! When I grew up, I want to be
just as successful & easy to like as you!

Dealers need to be fighting for customers to improve
the process and streamline it or customers will just go
elsewhere as you can see from other posts.
You don't say!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Scottsdale
Old 08-04-2017, 04:07 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 667 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by mass27
I have heard from many people that the above ratios will not apply to this PTS round on the GT3.

Meaning, if the US gets allocated 100 PTS cars:
1. All 100 will be used. If people back out due to price, I would think the dealer will fill that PTS allocation.
2. Everyone who requested PTS during this PTS build time will get PTS.

Now, clearly if you want PTS AND your allocation does not fall during this PTS build time for the entire production run, then all PTS demand will not be met.

If anyone has knowledge otherwise, I would love to hear it. The above is not confirmed, just what I heard.
For what it's worth, yesterday PCNA told me that while I should remain hopeful, many of the currently submitted PTS requests will unfortunately be rejected. So I'm not sure who your sources are, and I guess we'll have to wait and see to learn what is true, but that's what I was told by PCNA.
Old 08-04-2017, 04:50 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 818 Likes on 430 Posts

This is how PAG is cracking down on flippers. They are muscling in on their profits. Trading one gouger for another.

Last edited by Waxer; 08-05-2017 at 01:46 PM.
Old 08-04-2017, 05:23 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Waxer
This is how PAG is cracking down on flippers. They are muscling in on there profits. Trading one gouger for another.
Now we are on target! Piece of the action.
Old 08-04-2017, 05:26 PM
Sonnen Porsche
Former Vendor

Received 104 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by pimpinon
PTS is a necessary nuisance for Porsche. It allows Porsche to set apart a special segment of their customers.

The problem is managing expectations. Some customers expect to be able to order a PTS car even if it is their first ordered car. Some manage to do so by paying ADM. Dealerships that allow this gives the impression that the PTS process is purely a financial transaction.

I believe the intended spirit of PTS cars are to reward loyal customers for maintaining a long term relationship with the brand. As I see it now, most customers don't see it this way.

I suspect I myself wouldn't qualify using these standards. Purchasing 4-5 cars in the last 6 years from the same dealer might just get me on the bottom of the list.
PTS has nothing to do with rewarding a client at my dealership at all. I have a first time buyer getting a PTS Panamera 4S because he fell in love with the Graphite Blue 911 we had on the showroom and liked it more than the standard colors. The $9900 charge was irrelevant in his decision making process as he had to have that color once he saw it. As I posted the profit margin in an earlier post this "upsell" accounts very little to the dealers pockets, way less to mine, but I am sure much more directly to Porsche Corporate.

The challenges we face as dealers with PTS is the uncertain wait time, is it approved, will it stay approved, is the window still open, when will the window open again, and worse of all the client wants to make a change after the order is submitted and is now in V215 status.

I ordered for my very good client a Fashion Gray 2016 Boxster Spyder. He then cancelled the order after a while which happens in this business. This was in August when the car was supposed to be built in February the following year. I posted this car up on this board to sell it and quickly realized that even though I could with a lot of time and effort change the options...I could not change any options concerning paint. A client wanted Birch Green...nope paint is already ordered...another client wanted the Fashion Gray but wanted to add more paint with a painted key and additional trim items...nope sorry the paint is already ordered...are you joking? It is August and you guys cannot order more paint for February or heck how about changing the color altogether? Nope sorry was the reply. It does not matter if we are an Exclusive dealer or if we are a Premier dealer or whether the client has bought multiple cars...all irrelevant in the PTS process.

This is the process that folks don't understand why it is like this, and the question is why it cannot get better. I know I was completely bamboozled by the process on that build as it simply made no sense that the car could not be changed with 6 months before it was scheduled to be built on the assembly line.

My idea, which hopefully Porsche adopts down the road, would eliminate a lot of these issues with Heritage colors plus yearly throw back colors added to the mix available all the time. $7500 seems a reasonable sum which means not everyone will do it and make it common, but also not so high that people won't do it at all.
Hopefully we will see some changes for the better soon for the PTS process overall.
Old 08-04-2017, 05:35 PM
996SPECticle
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sportscentury
For what it's worth, yesterday PCNA told me that while I should remain hopeful, many of the currently submitted PTS requests will unfortunately be rejected. So I'm not sure who your sources are, and I guess we'll have to wait and see to learn what is true, but that's what I was told by PCNA.
It sounds like they are pricing to capacity and looking for equilibrium. How much can we charge before orders fall? right?
If the real allure in PTS is the one off or exclusive aspect and there were a larger capacity or other efficiency implemented, like batches of various models in color X for a week then a batch of Y the next week, wouldn't that detract from the allure or YOUR car getting a special color? Seems fishy how a great color is a standard option one year and PTS another anyway. Big business.
Old 08-04-2017, 05:51 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by sportscentury
Unfortunately, the way the selection process is being done, I would not be surprised that there is a disconnect between PCNA and Porsche AG. May also have to do with worldwide requests, in other words the PTS quota for PCNA is just an estimate, until all the requests are in around the world, there is no guarantee and the final number may have to be trimmed. We will see.
Old 08-04-2017, 06:02 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Like most things it's more based on practical than planned considerations. How easy is the color to get right the first time? How many takers for the same color? What's our cost and availability from the supplier? As others have said this is not now, and has not been, true PTS for years, it's a list of off the grid colors that have been done before. Only the first time out was PTS.

Quick Reply: PTS now officially $12,830 and could go up!