Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PTS now officially $12,830 and could go up!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 02:52 PM
Sonnen Porsche
Former Vendor

Received 104 Likes on 29 Posts

I am happy to see the price is much higher now as PTS is a nightmare for us dealers. I was hoping for $15,000 which is still less than the $27,000 a Cayenne is to PTS. Now if Porsche will also take my advice not only on pricing but on regular available colors perhaps folks would be less upset at this pricing. Range Rover is charging $9000 for their special paints now as well.

At a meeting over a year ago I proposed:

Regular Colors: no charge
Metallic Colors: $800
Special Colors: $3200
5 Heritage Colors Plus 3 from 1967 this year $7500
PTS $15,000

The Heritage colors would be available year round with no exclusions and there would be 3 extra colors based on the 1967 color palette this year.

https://myclassicgarage.com/marketpl...67-porsche-911

Looking at the PTS cars they all seem to be the same colors over and over again:

Mexico Blue, Fashion Gray, Riviera Blue, Signal Yellow, Signal Green, Slate Grey, British Racing Green, Etna Blue, Gulf Blue, Arena Red, Gulf Orange etc.

We will see if they implement that plan at some stage...
Old 08-03-2017, 03:21 PM
pimpinon
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonnen Porsche
I am happy to see the price is much higher now as PTS is a nightmare for us dealers. I was hoping for $15,000 which is still less than the $27,000 a Cayenne is to PTS. Now if Porsche will also take my advice not only on pricing but on regular available colors perhaps folks would be less upset at this pricing. Range Rover is charging $9000 for their special paints now as well.

PTS $15,000

The Heritage colors would be available year round with no exclusions and there would be 3 extra colors based on the 1967 color palette this year.

Looking at the PTS cars they all seem to be the same colors over and over again:

Mexico Blue, Fashion Gray, Riviera Blue, Signal Yellow, Signal Green, Slate Grey, British Racing Green, Etna Blue, Gulf Blue, Arena Red, Gulf Orange etc.

Why would PTS be a nightmare for dealers? Isn't there enough profit for the dealer in it, and it is just a matter of putting the order in. What am I missing?
Old 08-03-2017, 03:28 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

In 1967 there were 39 colors and Porsche sold 4100 cars.

Dealers make what, $1400 off PTS at $7k, yet get to deal with the crazy as well as delay in production and sale. I can see why they are not keen on it. Even at $12,830 probably is not even $3k in profit.
Old 08-03-2017, 03:42 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 631 Likes on 393 Posts

I won't likely win any awards with these comments, but (1) no one should be surprised and (2) what are you really worried and complaining about?

Popularity and demand for PTS has obviously outstripped supply and one means of controlling demand is increased prices. Nothing about buying a Porsche is rational. How much are those different colored seat belts on a GT3? How about all the other silly little things for which Porsche charges a small fortune which likely have little if any real incremental cost?

Don't know if I am just jaded by the last few years (my only view of the Porsche world; everyone starts sometime, remember), but Porsche GT cars always seem to sell for premiums in the aftermarket (and in some cases, premarket, too!), so it all comes out in the wash.

And if higher prices lead to fewer PTS cars being built--which I doubt very highly will happen--then PTS will be all that much more rare and valuable, further helping bolster future values.

Stop whining and just be grateful you can consider buying yourself one of the best cars ever made.
Old 08-03-2017, 03:46 PM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This new PTS pricing is approximately the same as you pay when ordering a new Ferrari in a special "Ferrari Historic" paint color.
Old 08-03-2017, 03:46 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

PTS $15,000

You're telling me the PTS is $6,500 on a Macan and $27,000 on a Cayenne? Come on- who the hell would pay that? Why do you think the best solution to the excess demand for PTS is to curb it with a much higher price? The other obvious solution was to invest the capital to produce more PTS cars and administer the program efficiently. If Porsche needs a clue, they can call Audi. I am sure they have the number handy.

Now your idea to offer 5 Heritage Colors Plus 3 from 1967 this year for a price between special and PTS is exactly the kind of thinking Porsche needs to implement.
Old 08-03-2017, 04:00 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,364 Likes on 831 Posts

IIRC profit margins on base car = ~10%, options = ~15%, special wishes = ?% (but believed to be higher than options). I'm not surprised that dealers are advocating for higher profit margins on GT cars (which already sell for MSRP(+)) while at the same time trying for ADM. Why? Because a little additional work is required? No, because they can, they have a captive audience. And I don't believe there really is a differentiation between good guy dealers and stealers. Does the consumer get more for their money. Not that I've seen. Sorry, correction; The consumer gets a lighter pocket book.

On the flip side of the coin lets wait and see when stupid money isn't flowing as freely anymore. What will they do then?
Old 08-03-2017, 04:12 PM
hughp3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I grew up watching Peter Gregg race and have loved P cars ever since. Feel very thankful to have an RS at msrp. But if that had not happened what other make for street and mostly track use would have the same appeal for me? Maybe the new mid-engine Vette will be an up and coming alternative if they can get the car to perform in 90+ degree heat.

I think the .2RS will be too pricey given what Porsche thinking seems to be now.
Old 08-03-2017, 04:16 PM
goin2drt
Banned

Received 744 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
IIRC profit margins on base car = ~10%, options = ~15%, special wishes = ?% (but believed to be higher than options). I'm not surprised that dealers are advocating for higher profit margins on GT cars (which already sell for MSRP(+)) while at the same time trying for ADM. Why? Because a little additional work is required? No, because they can, they have a captive audience. And I don't believe there really is a differentiation between good guy dealers and stealers. Does the consumer get more for their money. Not that I've seen. Sorry, correction; The consumer gets a lighter pocket book.

On the flip side of the coin lets wait and see when stupid money isn't flowing as freely anymore. What will they do then?
Originally Posted by mcsmcs1
You're telling me the PTS is $6,500 on a Macan and $27,000 on a Cayenne? Come on- who the hell would pay that? Why do you think the best solution to the excess demand for PTS is to curb it with a much higher price? The other obvious solution was to invest the capital to produce more PTS cars and administer the program efficiently. If Porsche needs a clue, they can call Audi. I am sure they have the number handy.

Now your idea to offer 5 Heritage Colors Plus 3 from 1967 this year for a price between special and PTS is exactly the kind of thinking Porsche needs to implement.
RL really needs a like button for posts. Folks making sense, what a concept. I will also add to this, how about a black GT3 is a standard color and price but a black GT3RS is PTS. Like many things Porsche does, just doesn't make sense.
Old 08-03-2017, 04:16 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB

Soooooooo true ......

On a side note, higher option charges $$ = higher dealer margins $$.

They're getting squeezed with the lower margins on the Macans which they're not used to. Not like selling optioned out 911's. Higher option $$$, are a gift to dealers and PAG obviously benefits too.

Mass market Macans with huge cross shoppers looking for best deals across brands isn't what dealers are used to.

Dealers like the yummy frosting models and like to be cake decorators, not Twinkie salesmen.

At end of the day, if they can get the $$, why not?? They're a for profit business. Don't like it, don't give them your $$.

Name:  photo25.jpg
Views: 887
Size:  383.1 KB
Old 08-03-2017, 04:19 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,024 Likes on 2,293 Posts

Originally Posted by mass27
I agree. And if one more dealer or RL'er tries to explain the laws of supply and demand, I will throw up.

Supply and Demand is NOT synonymous with charging as much as you can, whenever you can.

I actually think your assumption is rational. It is rational to think that PTS is 7K, a 27% increase over last time and the same price as a 911.
Originally Posted by CHADW
I agree with your sentiment on "stealerships." Its criminal the dealers that charge a 20 year super customer an ADM.
I think most of the good guys dealers are owned by individual/s and not corporations. So with those dealers it's a top down mental where the owner/s encourage their GM/GSM and sales guys to focus on long-term relationships versus the quick ADM buck. Most of the stealers are corporate owner dealerships where they focus on right here, right now.
Old 08-03-2017, 04:20 PM
Sonnen Porsche
Former Vendor

Received 104 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by pimpinon
Why would PTS be a nightmare for dealers? Isn't there enough profit for the dealer in it, and it is just a matter of putting the order in. What am I missing?
It is a nightmare as we never know if the order will be accepted even if the PTS window is open. One order of mine, an Aetna Blue Targa took 18 months to build....not fun for anyone.
Old 08-03-2017, 04:22 PM
STG
Race Director

It is a nightmare as we never know if the order will be accepted even if the PTS window is open. One order of mine, an Aetna Blue Targa took 18 months to build....not fun for anyone.

And at the end when the car is about to show up, the buyer bails Witnessed plenty of those
Old 08-03-2017, 04:24 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
I think most of the good guys dealers are owned by individual/s and not corporations. So with those dealers it's a top down mental where the owner/s encourage their GM/GSM and sales guys to focus on long-term relationships versus the quick ADM buck. Most of the stealers are corporate owner dealerships where they focus on right here, right now.

More consolidation of dealerships these days. The "good guys" are getting squeezed out.
Old 08-03-2017, 04:25 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

With all the ridiculous bling options on the Porsche configurator these days, and so many buyers speccing cars that more closely resemble an expensive handbag than a sports car, it doesn't surprise me one bit that they're raising the price. Get just as much revenue with less production cost. Simple first degree price discrimination.

Quick Reply: PTS now officially $12,830 and could go up!