Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman S vs Exige C&D Article

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 06:34 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts
Default Cayman S vs Exige C&D Article

The latest C&D has a six page article on the Cayman S vs Lotus Exige.
I have posted the thumbs on my site:

Cayman S vs Exige Article

I was also at Ira Porsche today and saw that they had about 8 Cayman S on the lot - bad cell phone pic:
Old 01-28-2006, 08:08 PM
soltino
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any idea if those are "sold" cars <?>

tino
Old 01-28-2006, 08:31 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by soltino
Any idea if those are "sold" cars <?>

tino
No idea,...PM Alfie if you're interested.
Old 01-30-2006, 01:04 PM
MrSwede
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for copying the article. My biggest surprise was braking distance. I guess the wider tires produced the better results?
Old 01-30-2006, 02:16 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Very cool, thanks! I'm going to send it to my brother. He came down this weekend to help me with my new iMac...and to shop for Porsches. We both drove the Cayman S...he put a deposit on this one (picture was taken two weeks ago at the dealership's Cayman S Party). Hopefully I'll have more details in a week or so!
Attached Images  
Old 01-30-2006, 09:39 PM
Dan V
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great article, thanks for posting it.. I can only envy someone who can afford to spend $70K on a car like a Cayman, or $55K for a Toyota 4-banger-powered Lotus for that matter.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:41 PM
RevUrGT3
Racer

Well, am I the only one that thinks there is nothing to compare on a Cayman vs the Exige? They are totally different cars with totally different market segments in mind... the Exige is almost a race car and the Cayman is an incredible driver's sport car... A GT3 vs a Exige would have been a better comparison... and even then, the GT3 is way more civilized than the Exige (except for ground clearance).

C/D says "Lows: race-car noise"... DUH! It IS a race car!

Anyway, not to start an argument here... although I will probably get flamed...

Note: I just read the whole article now and C/D does state that this is a track-oriented car. So, point to them, but I still think there is nothing to compare.

Last edited by RevUrGT3; 02-03-2006 at 09:10 PM.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:05 PM
LastGT3
Racer

RevUrGT3:
Sir you are correct - the exige is a kit car with an underpowered, out of date powerplant.
It is not finished, it hold nothing, it will have unbelievably crappy residuals, and the cayman will kick that poor exige's butt mostly due to power on the straights. In the right hands (both cars) the cayman wins - and is a far better value which can still drive to the coffee shop.

On top of this, I want 10-20 year warranty on that nice bonded (read 'glued') aluminum frame. Lotus HAD to go to this exotic measuers to get the weight down - BUT the owners will get higher maint costs and incredibly high fix costs, and, if there is ANY issue of fatigue (see the BMW Z8 fiasco) you will have to spend $20 K up to fix this car. No thanks. Get a Cayman. Dont get a kit car.

i spanked an exige on Mosport this year and I suck as a driver and the other driver kicks butt - QED.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:39 PM
LastGT3
Racer

I think I was a little too harsh...but
"Well, am I the only one that thinks there is nothing to compare on a Cayman vs the Exige? They are totally different cars with totally different market segments in mind... the Exige is almost a race car and the Cayman is an incredible driver's sport car... A GT3 vs a Exige would have been a better comparison... and even then, the GT3 is way more civilized than the Exige (except for ground clearance).

C/D says "Lows: race-car noise"... DUH! It IS a race car!

Anyway, not to start an argument here... although I will probably get flamed...

Note: I just read the whole article now and C/D does state that this is a track-oriented car. So, point to them, but I still think there is nothing to compare. "

I agree thathe Exige is track only car that is DOT BUT - cars are getting sooo good that actually think that stock exige will have its hand full at the tracxk with a 295 hp Cayman S which costs about the same.
Further, if we are talking comparisons of very focussed track-DOT cars - then, you should include the Ariel aton amd and that other british car, runs hayabusa motor, and is abount the same coin.

In any case, the guys who I think buy these car buy them because they aqre unique, not necessarily the fastest..I respect that.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:20 PM
RevUrGT3
Racer

Hey LastGT3,

No argument there, I am sure the Cayman will be faster, given same drivers. Cayman has better value and it is better built, no argument either... however, and to each his own, to me, the Elise/Exige have a level of rawness and feedback that I could not find even on my GT3. That, however, it is subjetive, each driver is different on that respect... which one is better? I can only answer for me...

Oh, and btw, I am not dissing the Cayman... it is an awesome car! I need to drive the one with PASM though... the one with std susp is too soft for me...
Old 02-03-2006, 11:34 PM
LastGT3
Racer

RevUrGT3 - never thought poorly of your comments - seems you you truly understand the beasts and contrats to you for finding the car you like...In my case - I am waiting for more power for the Cayman before I make a move.
J
Old 02-03-2006, 11:40 PM
RevUrGT3
Racer

Mmm... power... power... if I only had more power on my Elise...
Old 02-04-2006, 12:33 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,629 Likes on 2,314 Posts

i had elise s2 and now cayman s. i like cayman more. to each his own. though the elise is indeed a great car too.

400 miles at Laguna seca... dirty and filthy.
Old 02-04-2006, 01:21 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LastGT3
"Well, am I the only one that thinks there is nothing to compare on a Cayman vs the Exige? They are totally different cars with totally different market segments in mind... the Exige is almost a race car and the Cayman is an incredible driver's sport car
I thought it was a pretty good comparison. Make no mistake they are both "street cars" (although, the Exige is certainly more focused).

After all, they are both....
- 2 seaters
- mid-engine
- coupes
- track capable
Old 02-04-2006, 11:05 AM
LastGT3
Racer

Again..think that it is apples an oranges - the Exige is totally focussed - frankly, the exisge needs that the RSX supercharged powerplant option that is available for Arien Atom. Then we would have ourseldve a party - Exige 300, Arriel Atom 300, CaymanS 295. That would be the comparison!
I have a friend who bought an Exige (older model) from the us and took out the Toyota plant and dropped in an RSX engine - it moves but needs another 100hp to dominate - frankly, I am not sure why it is not offered...but I think to be sure, they WILL offer it, especially if Porsche bings out a Cayman GT with 350-400.
Key here is price - Atom, Exige, and Cayman are all priced abouth the same ...I just think cars have all gotten a lot more power over the past10-12 years but give you the power for a lot less $ (even if you include a GT3 (which I drive), it is bargain for what you get relative to the price of 997s.
Now you have a Vette, but for me , it needs to been raced to prove its design...unfortunately, Corvette does NOT race the Z06 (C6) components (frame, brakes, or motor OR electronics) - so it makes me yawn.
Will the Hayabusa motor fit into an Exige?

Quick Reply: Cayman S vs Exige C&D Article