Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do with your 987 today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2023, 06:29 PM
CAinCA
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by ekam
Snip...
It looks both happy to be driven and sad that it's sitting alone in the middle of a snow filled parking lot. I agree with Magnus Walker though, these cars are meant to be driven. I just hand washed about 3 weeks worth of grime off mine.
Old 01-26-2023, 11:11 AM
Kattman
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by CAinCA
It looks both happy to be driven and sad that it's sitting alone in the middle of a snow filled parking lot. I agree with Magnus Walker though, these cars are meant to be driven. I just hand washed about 3 weeks worth of grime off mine.
While I do agree that all cars should be driven, and not sit... some places just aren't suited. Where I live, the winters are awful. The roads get covered in heavy dirt and debris (from sanding trucks) - not to mention deep ruts and drifts. Most vehicles get thrashed pretty heavily. If I had a rough and tumble 987, I'd likely not care, and just go for it. But with a super clean example (like mine).... it would be blasphemy to rip around.
Some day it would be fun to snag a 'beater' Cayman, and just go for it.. lol.
Old 01-26-2023, 03:13 PM
CAinCA
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kattman
While I do agree that all cars should be driven, and not sit... some places just aren't suited. Where I live, the winters are awful. The roads get covered in heavy dirt and debris (from sanding trucks) - not to mention deep ruts and drifts. Most vehicles get thrashed pretty heavily. If I had a rough and tumble 987, I'd likely not care, and just go for it. But with a super clean example (like mine).... it would be blasphemy to rip around.
I completely understand your situation. I'm in the SF Bay area in California. We don't get any snow to speak of so no salt to worry about.

I REALLY wanted a Cayman S, but the practical side of me decided to settle for a 2.9L. I paid about what a new Civic cost so I don't feel guilty about driving it. I'll drive this one until I wear it out. Hopefully my kids will be out of college by then and my budget will be a little higher for its replacement.
Old 01-26-2023, 05:13 PM
Kattman
Instructor

I completely understand your situation. I'm in the SF Bay area in California. We don't get any snow to speak of so no salt to worry about.

I REALLY wanted a Cayman S, but the practical side of me decided to settle for a 2.9L. I paid about what a new Civic cost so I don't feel guilty about driving it. I'll drive this one until I wear it out. Hopefully my kids will be out of college by then and my budget will be a little higher for its replacement.
My dream is to someday live where the snow never falls. And I could drive my Cayman all year!! My other dream, is to upgrade to a 987.2 with the 2.9l engine... lol. So you've got it made, in my books! haha

If I were to move out to Vancouver Island (as they have about the most mild winters here in Canadark), I would absolutely drive my car year round. Depending on the area, they typically get very little snow - and if they do... it's gone within a few days. Some parking lot donuts, once or twice a year....sign me up!!
The following users liked this post:
CAinCA (01-26-2023)
Old 01-26-2023, 08:08 PM
KrisA
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 126 Posts

It's funny Kattman, here in Saskatchewan I dream of living in Alberta again. Winters in southern Alberta are way milder and most years when Sask is still a frozen wasteland it's dry and in the teens in Calgary. Also, I doubt a .2 2.9 is a worthwhile upgrade for you, stick with what you've got. Best complement I've ever got on my 987.2 was from an owner of a sweet Guards Red 993 who said to me, "never sell that car."
CAinCA (01-26-2023)
Old 01-27-2023, 08:56 AM
ekam
Drifting

Received 507 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by Kattman
Mine is a Alberta car and I'm fully aware of the regular, multiple windshield replacements a Alberta winter car goes through due to the use of dirt (and with little rocks) instead of salt for clearing snow on the road.

But we don't have that problem here and the only day that I couldn't drive last winter was the massive snow storm that 99.5% of vehicles in the city couldn't drive on anyway.

Tire technology have advanced so much, the current Michelin X-Ice Snow is excellent and comes in 18" size for our cars.

There are people with Ferraris that drive in snow.

Last edited by ekam; 01-27-2023 at 09:01 AM.
Old 01-27-2023, 07:05 PM
Kattman
Instructor

Just to make sure I keep the Thread on topic....

I took a photo..

@KrisA That's quite the thing to admit.. dreaming of moving to Alberta!! I know Saskatchewan fairly well - and it ain't no prize... but Alberta gets brutal winters!! At least here in central Alberta. Calgary does get a few chinooks each year. But they also get blasted too. We got smoked the day after Halloween - and it's been a rough one (for the most part) since. Including 2 wicked cold snaps! I hate cold weather and snow. I'm 100% living in the wrong place. But I can't change that....yet. lol
@ekam Yeah the ruts and debris (from the sand and rocks) are murder on vehicles here. Even into Spring, I wait an extra while to drive the Cayman - as the roads are often still covered in crap! I haven't had to replace my windshield yet - but it's only a matter of time before I get a stone chip that isn't fixable. The Ferrari in winter doesn't surprise me. Those with deep enough pockets, aren't too concerned. I've said to friends - you know you're wealthy, when you can afford to hoon around in winter with a nicer sports car. A Porsche Dakar, or something like a Huracan Sterrato.... are the newest examples. If you can afford those - AND utilize them for their intended purpose.... you've clearly 'made it'. hahaha

However... no one should have much sympathy for me. Last year I picked up a new project vehicle. It's in incredible condition (inside and out) and loaded up decently. But it will eventually need the motor rebuilt (bore scoring - I got it for next to nothing). I did add the lift kit and wheels/tires. It'll get a roof rack and some tubular bumpers eventually. Along with a fun wrap. So not a bad consolation prize for having to park my Cayman for 8 (ish) months of the year... lol...

Project Cayenne...

The following 3 users liked this post by Kattman:
Matt(inMA) (01-30-2023), quickboxster (01-27-2023), vitaminC (01-29-2023)
Old 02-01-2023, 07:10 PM
nine16
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 987.2 CS

Swapped to the paddle-shift wheel for the 987.2 CS. Car had some sun fading damage so I had it repainted in December and this weekend I gave the paint its first wash and a ceramic coat. Still waiting on one part--I needed a new, more-curved decal to mask off the Cayman S script on the carbon fiber duck tail. I'll have that back this coming weekend. The letters and a trailing edge stripe will be bare carbon fiber and the rest of the wing will be painted OEM Arctic Silver.

The following 3 users liked this post by nine16:
CAinCA (02-01-2023), Chris MI 987 (02-02-2023), racer1735 (02-03-2023)
Old 02-01-2023, 07:30 PM
ekam
Drifting

Replaced the heavily pitted, yellowed, 13 year old 3M headlight PPF with a new set.

The following 5 users liked this post by ekam:
AdamB996 (02-02-2023), Chris MI 987 (02-02-2023), fouckhest (02-03-2023), Miggytosh (02-01-2023), racer1735 (02-03-2023)
Old 02-01-2023, 08:35 PM
CAinCA
Rennlist Member

Replaced the heavily pitted, yellowed, 13 year old 3M headlight PPF with a new set.
How hard was the old film to remove?
Old 02-01-2023, 09:19 PM
ekam
Drifting

How hard was the old film to remove?
A local detailing shop did it and according to them the old film came off without difficulty.

https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist...l#post18607045

Last edited by ekam; 02-02-2023 at 12:23 PM.
CAinCA (02-02-2023)
Old 02-02-2023, 02:11 AM
FlipE
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Finished installing front plate frame and a QuickVu camera system.

Cayman had the Porsche plinth already installed. Without a frame, the edges of the license plate threatened to catch people or their trousers. Simple metal frame didn't play well with the ~38" radius of the Porsche plinth. I made a couple of plywood tools and beat it into submission.

The rear camera went on in a couple of minutes. The monitor mounted up easily with a RennLine mount. I used a spring-clamp that fit on the Rennline ball instead of the magnet.

Front camera was more-complicated. Mounted it to the Porsche fake grill with a couple of homebrew brackets.

Front plate shown here is from my former Caterham Super Seven. Personalized plate for the Cayman will be seen when the driving season starts here.

Attached Files
File Type: docx
Front plate and camera.docx (12.4 KB, 21 views)
Old 02-02-2023, 09:03 AM
wrose
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rennline Radiator Screen Kit installed

I Installed the Rennline kit on my 08 Boxster S after installing a center radiator kit . I was disappointed with the fit of the lt. & rt. screens because they had to be cut and modified in order to be able to remove the driving/fog lamps without removing the bumper cover asyou can see in attached photos. On a positive note the center radiator screen fit without any modifications . This was not explained in the Rennline catalog but I think should be noted. I contacted Rennline and forwarded photos but no acknowledgement or attempt to resolve. It was left as" you modified the screens to fit and our design fit as advertised"-not what I expected especially for the cost. This was my first purchase from Rennline.

Kattman (02-02-2023)
Old 02-02-2023, 12:52 PM
FlipE
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Tire technology have advanced so much, the current Michelin X-Ice Snow is excellent and comes in 18" size for our cars.
I have Michelin X-Ice Snow tires on cheap steel wheels on for the Minnesota winter. On my "appliance" car, a Ford Fusion. Keep the Michelin all-seasons on the big-block Suburban year-around.

Cayman? Parked in my warm shop next to the Stag.
Kattman (02-02-2023)
Old 02-03-2023, 08:26 AM
ekam
Drifting

Originally Posted by FlipE
I have Michelin X-Ice Snow tires on cheap steel wheels on for the Minnesota winter. On my "appliance" car, a Ford Fusion. Keep the Michelin all-seasons on the big-block Suburban year-around.

Cayman? Parked in my warm shop next to the Stag.
Except I'm riding on 255 wide rears and I'm passing SUVs and F150s on the highway in a snow storm.

It's actually more fun (and requires much more attention) to drive in the snow in a mid-engine car. Life is short.

Last edited by ekam; 02-03-2023 at 08:45 AM.

Quick Reply: What did you do with your 987 today?