Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

From 981 CS to Base 987.2, The Story Continues

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2020, 06:42 PM
absoluteczech
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

hmm youve neglected some parts in "this" thread
Old 10-28-2020, 09:53 PM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,696 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by idk_alex
Awesome pictures, love following this thread
Indeed!
Not just straight up snaps, but some real nice stuff to look at... just that little bit of add too - depth of field and flare.

Sweet!

We need more filmy goodness in this world - worth the wait.
Old 11-23-2020, 02:47 AM
kiznarsh
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 122 Posts

There's a new garagemate with a similar power-to-weight ratio. Top-down driving with less than 2,400 lbs is really fun in a different way than the Cayman. I still have the GTI and debating on whether I keep that vs. the Miata. The Cayman and Miata serve similar purposes but I wouldn't say they're redundant (at least that's how I justified its purchase.) Definitely more cargo space in the Cayman, which now feels like a sedan in comparison.

I've already started modifying it which so far has been easier than the Cayman...everything comes part so much easier with exposed screws that Porsche would never allow!

The previous owner sold it as he just got a 981 GTS.

The following users liked this post:
TheBucketOfTruth (11-24-2020)
Old 03-11-2021, 01:25 PM
kiznarsh
Rennlist Member

A few updates to share. Replaced the battery with one from Bosch (part no. S5572B-INT) that I picked up from Pelican. This look familiar?

Name:  fQiHf7h.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  1.07 MB

Old battery (assuming #2 in the car's history).

Name:  BF8wyrh.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  2.98 MB

Decent condition for the tray.

Name:  hbnWmRC.jpg
Size:  2.62 MB

New battery that I swapped in the parking lot so I could get my core return.

Name:  LvhlAki.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  1.43 MB

Hooked up the vent tube.

Name:  05EBoMf.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  2.57 MB

Car immediately felt more alive and powerful. Fresh batteries are underrated. And no coding required, which was nice.

Then I replaced the cracked hatch bumpers.

Name:  AEK8SDx.jpg
Size:  1.66 MB

Name:  gd7P0Z9.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  1.69 MB

It's already been 2 years so time for another smog test. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the nice couple at Best Buy Smog are awesome. I think they recognize me from all my visits but he always makes a genuine complement. He cut his lunch short to do my test and immediately commented on the "nice, sleek lines" as he traced its profile with his right hand, flowing over it like streamlines.

Fortunately they're still in business but there's been a huge decrease in cars, not only because of the pandemic but California now let's you drive new cars for 8 years before requiring a test.

Name:  lyy4YFq.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  2.80 MB

Haven't taken that many pics of it recently but made sure to take one while I still had film in the camera.

The following 2 users liked this post by kiznarsh:
PhillyNate (03-14-2021), sectachrome (03-11-2021)
Old 03-11-2021, 08:44 PM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,696 Likes on 645 Posts

It's a Treat!
I replaced my battery on the weekend too - Moll 84075 - not the Bosch.
Vent hose is the same, as was the standing in the trunk.

No programming on the 987.2 is a plus, but I did connect a battery charger to keep modules alive.
But, this isn't really necessary I know...

Nice pics!
kiznarsh (03-12-2021)
Old 03-11-2021, 10:24 PM
ngamountains
Racer

Received 273 Likes on 150 Posts

Great thread. Tripped over it on the New Posts page, and spent the last hour going through all the great DIY and photos. Your 987.2 looks wonderful, and from one Miata owner to another, I hope it is making you happy. What year is yours? Mine is the ND2 from 2019, and the new engine loves to rev!
Old 03-12-2021, 02:09 AM
kiznarsh
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ngamountains
Great thread. Tripped over it on the New Posts page, and spent the last hour going through all the great DIY and photos. Your 987.2 looks wonderful, and from one Miata owner to another, I hope it is making you happy. What year is yours? Mine is the ND2 from 2019, and the new engine loves to rev!
Thanks for stopping by!

Mine's also a 2019 (Club trim with BBS/Brembo/Recaro package) and yes, the new engine thrives on revs. I recently took it through the canyons after completing the suspension upgrades (Progress Tech sway bars & lowering springs) and it's handling is fantastic. I can ring out the 987 a good amount, but feel like I can do it even more with the ND2. On tight, technical roads, the Miata is more nimble but the 987 wins out on long sweeping roads with the superior exhaust note.

The following 3 users liked this post by kiznarsh:
ngamountains (03-12-2021), Racer Boy (03-12-2021), TheBucketOfTruth (03-12-2021)
Old 03-12-2021, 02:02 PM
TheBucketOfTruth
Burning Brakes

Received 309 Likes on 172 Posts

Is that the Santa Monica mountains? You think the Miata is more fun and nimble on the tight stuff because it's so small and light or just that you've put in fancy suspension and it's such a newer platform by comparison? I think those look quite good I just wish the motors were a bit more exotic. It's still so tempting. What a car for the money.
Old 03-12-2021, 03:23 PM
kiznarsh
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TheBucketOfTruth
Is that the Santa Monica mountains? You think the Miata is more fun and nimble on the tight stuff because it's so small and light or just that you've put in fancy suspension and it's such a newer platform by comparison? I think those look quite good I just wish the motors were a bit more exotic. It's still so tempting. What a car for the money.
Correct on the location.

I have the Cayman R suspension installed so I'd say both cars are comparable in that department, but the ~600 fewer pounds and open air cockpit make a more enjoyable experience for me. The narrower tires also make for a more playful back end.

For my driving skill level, I'm just able to get closer to the Miata's limit than the Cayman's in the canyons where I do my spirited driving.

As for fun/$, there isn't a better new car than an ND2.
ngamountains (03-12-2021)
Old 03-12-2021, 05:32 PM
maximusbibicus
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by kiznarsh

For my driving skill level, I'm just able to get closer to the Miata's limit than the Cayman's in the canyons where I do my spirited driving.

As for fun/$, there isn't a better new car than an ND2.
Perfectly said.
Old 03-12-2021, 06:12 PM
TheBucketOfTruth
Burning Brakes

Received 309 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by kiznarsh
Correct on the location.

I have the Cayman R suspension installed so I'd say both cars are comparable in that department, but the ~600 fewer pounds and open air cockpit make a more enjoyable experience for me. The narrower tires also make for a more playful back end.
Cayman R suspension is X73 or whatever they call it for a normal Cayman right? I guess this might be another reason people say the new GT4s are much more capable than a Cayman R but they actually prefer the charm and lower limits of the Cayman R on the road.

My buddy and I in our twin Slate Gray Turbos did that a couple weeks back and had a blast. Yerba Buena is fun now that it's repaved but Tuna Canyon still seems to be my favorite on that side. But I'm much more comfortable pushing the car on slower tight roads than wide open ones where if you mess up you're going triple digits. Sometimes I miss my old 06 Subaru STi the tight stuff.
Old 03-14-2021, 02:00 PM
Racer Boy
Instructor

Received 98 Likes on 61 Posts

Great thread, I've really enjoyed reading it!
kiznarsh (03-14-2021)
Old 03-26-2021, 01:12 AM
kiznarsh
Rennlist Member

Well, looks like my time with the Cayman is coming to an end. I've decided to sell it and use the proceeds to fund my remodeling efforts, but I'll be in another Porsche again at some point.

Current plan is to submit to Bring a Trailer but I'll likely make a FS ad on here as well. For anyone who's been following along my journey and is interested, feel free to send me a PM.
Old 03-26-2021, 02:07 AM
sectachrome
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 100 Posts

The Miata won?
PhillyNate (03-26-2021)
Old 03-26-2021, 02:18 AM
kiznarsh
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sectachrome
The Miata won?
Well now you're making me feel bad when you put it that way, haha. Yes, I could sell the Miata instead after 4 months of ownership but it basically boils down to these reasons:
  • Still have more tinkering/mods to do on the Miata which is something I enjoy; the Cayman's pretty well sorted
  • Preference for having a newer, more reliable car if I'm going to be down to just 1 (there's an order of magnitude difference in mileage between them)
  • Miata is more fun for zipping around town which is 90% of my driving for the foreseeable future
  • Convertible > coupe for fun factor, especially living in LA
  • Miata's trunk is sufficient for my current needs
  • Better resale proposition with the Cayman given its rarity and the current market
I'll likely need a back seat a few months down the line and will pick up a sedan to complement the Miata. And then eventually when I get my third Porsche, it'll be some flavor of 911 to check that box.
The following 2 users liked this post by kiznarsh:
PhillyNate (03-26-2021), sectachrome (03-26-2021)

Quick Reply: From 981 CS to Base 987.2, The Story Continues