Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

From 981 CS to Base 987.2, The Story Continues

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2022, 11:19 AM
The Duke
Rennlist Member

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by kiznarsh
Just realized you replaced your door trim insert a few months ago (I guess I had that notification off). That's awesome! Turned out great! Have you already bought one for the passenger side?

That piece is the same in my 997 and while it's got some minor scratches, not enough to replace it. But there's a pretty bad buzzing/vibration sound coming from the driver's door so I'll be taking it off at some point to add foam.
A few weeks later, I did the passenger side triangle, https://rennlist.com/forums/987-foru...l#post17761132

Definitely worth the effort. I hope to never have to go back! :-)
The following users liked this post:
kiznarsh (02-22-2022)
Old 08-12-2022, 03:18 PM
plafondles
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 48 Posts

Then opened up the suction valve and starting filling it up.
Not sure if it matters, but what size compressor tank did you use on your vacuum coolant tool? I'm about to purchase a compressor and also do this project. This thread has been a lot of help!
Old 08-13-2022, 12:14 AM
kiznarsh
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by plafondles
Not sure if it matters, but what size compressor tank did you use on your vacuum coolant tool? I'm about to purchase a compressor and also do this project. This thread has been a lot of help!
Blast from the past!

Mine is 20 gallons (pictured below) but the flow rate is what matters. More volume just means the compressor doesn't have to run as often. Mine can do 5 CFM which I think is typical of the mid-size compressors.

The smaller "pancake" ones probably aren't viable.

plafondles (08-14-2022)
Old 08-17-2022, 05:51 AM
gt4gt4
7th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I've only just found your thread and am both impressed and thankful!

I'll use this as a repair manual for years to come. I could literally print it out and use it as a a reference/booklet.

Have done a few of the things you mentioned alredy myself on mine (shifter cables, ...), but there's so much more to do and learn.

kiznarsh (08-17-2022)
Old 08-17-2022, 01:00 PM
sectachrome
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 100 Posts

@kiznarsh Now that it's been a while, we need an updated comparison of 997 vs. 987!
Old 08-17-2022, 02:26 PM
kiznarsh
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sectachrome
@kiznarsh Now that it's been a while, we need an updated comparison of 997 vs. 987!
Sure thing! Let's start off with a couple of photo comparisons:

February 2020

June 2022

February 2020 (one of my favorite pics)

June 2022

The 997 naturally feels familiar with its ergonomics and seats, but I really enjoy having an oil temp gauge. Being an M96 engine, bore scoring is a concern though realistically, it's not something I worry about as the car's always been in warm climates and seemingly cared for throughout its life. On the flip side, the worry-free nature of the 9A1 goes a long way. The first owner already dealt with a failed IMS bearing so hopefully that chapter is behind me now.

I do miss the nimbleness of the 987 as it always felt like the sports car that it is; the 997 doesn't have that same excitement in the city. However during canyon carving sessions and out on the open road where you can push it, I've noticed I'm more confident in my spiritedness and all that extra traction coming from the rear is quite noticeable. I'm having to go faster to have the same amount of fun, but because it's more planted, I still feel safe and composed.

I haven't completely dialed in the 997 aesthetically yet (planning on new wheels and at least a front lip), but when I see 997s with the Aero kits and premium wheels, I do prefer the overall look. I'm sure some of that is years of Porsche marketing with 911 being THE icon, but it does looks quite complete. Then again, the rear hips on the 987 are still the sexiest ones out there.

Working on the 997 has been easier with the engine being accessible. There's actually something nice about being able to sit and work without needing to bend over as much like on a typical front-engine car. It's easier to keep tabs on everything and wipe it down after every wash.

It doesn't draw eyes like the Cayman did as 911s are much more common around these parts, but I suspect some of that has to do with its color. It's not exciting, that's for sure.

I do appreciate the quieter cabin and nicer interior materials (leather on the A pillars, Alcantara on the headliner, etc.) especially when I'm on the freeway. The lack of what I still believe was lifter tick noise being transferred from the Numeric cables is something I also enjoy. I obviously got used to it in the 987, but I can't say I ever liked it. I replaced the shifter bushings with billet aluminum ones in the 997 and while that reduced the slop, it's still not as tight as I want it. I'm thinking of just replacing the shifter this time, so going with the Numeric shifter and leaving the cables alone (which are the upgraded OEM ones as the original ones snapped twice).

I do prefer the gearing in the 997 and the extra torque allows me to stay in 3rd more often. What's funny is shifting from 2nd to 3rd is my favorite sequence, but shifting down from 3rd is my least favorite. On a recent road trip, that allowed me to do more 3-4-3 shifts which I really liked. I don't know...may sound like an odd thing to share but maybe others feel the same. Then again, that's why dog-leg patterns exist, right?

Speaking of road trips, I completed a long one in June and created a travelogue. There doesn't seem to be as much interest in my thread on the 997 forum so I didn't share it there, but if anyone has 20 minutes to spare during their lunch break, feel free to check out my thread with tons of pics and stories below. You won't be disappointed.

https://www.vwvortex.com/threads/jap...-most.9510260/

Let me know if there's anything specific you want addressed that I didn't cover.

Cheers.
The following 3 users liked this post by kiznarsh:
PhillyNate (08-18-2022), plafondles (08-17-2022), sectachrome (08-17-2022)
Old 08-17-2022, 02:54 PM
sectachrome
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 100 Posts

Thanks for the update! Really interesting to hear impressions from someone who has good experience with both. IMO the Cayman wins in the looks department, but the 997 is my favorite water cooled 911. Your comments regarding the handling being more confidence inspiring in the 911 are interesting too, I usually hear people say the opposite. Glad you're enjoying it!
Old 08-19-2022, 02:39 AM
lain09
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Congrats on the 997.1. Your comparison observation is interesting to 997.1. I've followed this thread and your auction as I have a very similar base 987.2 myself. Got similar 19" OZ, lowered on Cayman R Springs/Bilstein B8. I opted to upgrade to Numeric SSK and left the revised OEM shifter cable w/ linkage piece done by the previous owner due to NVH comments of Numeric cables. I've also added "Heavy *****" that they sell on here and it's improved it marginally. Highly recommend the Numeric SSK / upgraded OEM cable / Heavy **** combo.
Old 08-19-2022, 02:56 PM
kiznarsh
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sectachrome
Thanks for the update! Really interesting to hear impressions from someone who has good experience with both. IMO the Cayman wins in the looks department, but the 997 is my favorite water cooled 911. Your comments regarding the handling being more confidence inspiring in the 911 are interesting too, I usually hear people say the opposite. Glad you're enjoying it!
Well to be clear, the 987 is definitely more neutral in its handling. I just haven't tried to really push the limits and get the back end to kick out on the 997 as some of the roads and canyon cliffs are pretty unforgiving. But there's so much more traction and that's the basis for the additional confidence.

Originally Posted by lain09
Congrats on the 997.1. Your comparison observation is interesting to 997.1. I've followed this thread and your auction as I have a very similar base 987.2 myself. Got similar 19" OZ, lowered on Cayman R Springs/Bilstein B8. I opted to upgrade to Numeric SSK and left the revised OEM shifter cable w/ linkage piece done by the previous owner due to NVH comments of Numeric cables. I've also added "Heavy *****" that they sell on here and it's improved it marginally. Highly recommend the Numeric SSK / upgraded OEM cable / Heavy **** combo.
Yeah I remember you having a similar car. You have good taste.

Have you noticed any trouble smoothly shifting from 5th to 6th? Other than the increase in NVH with the cables, that's one thing I noticed, in that the slightest outward push on the shift lever made getting into 6th a little tricky. You had to pull straight down. The slop in the stock shifter made this a non-issue as it would work itself out, but I noticed with the Numeric cables it required more attention. Of course this could've been something that an adjustment would've fixed, but as freeway driving was rare for me, I didn't bother to investigate further.

I also think that additional tolerance in all OEM shifters is to allow smooth changes. Well, all except the gem in the Miata. Still my favorite one.

Last edited by kiznarsh; 08-19-2022 at 02:57 PM.
sectachrome (08-22-2022)
Old 08-19-2022, 04:28 PM
lain09
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Have you noticed any trouble smoothly shifting from 5th to 6th? Other than the increase in NVH with the cables, that's one thing I noticed, in that the slightest outward push on the shift lever made getting into 6th a little tricky. You had to pull straight down. The slop in the stock shifter made this a non-issue as it would work itself out, but I noticed with the Numeric cables it required more attention. Of course this could've been something that an adjustment would've fixed, but as freeway driving was rare for me, I didn't bother to investigate further.

I also think that additional tolerance in all OEM shifters is to allow smooth changes. Well, all except the gem in the Miata. Still my favorite one.
Can't comment on the Numeric cables since I only installed the short shift kit and kept the revised OEM cables and 5th to 6th feels fine to me. I know the shifter position can be adjusted and I believe there's a tool to help center it from Numeric. With the Numeric SSK, there's no slop at all front-back, but slight wiggle side to side.

My first and only other manual car was an S2000 so I feel I've been spoiled for what the standard should be for shifter feel. I would rate the stock 987 shifter feel as 3/10 if S2000 was 9/10. With just the Numeric SSK, it feels 8/10. Changing transmission fluid and adding the heavy **** set helped a little too.
kiznarsh (08-19-2022)
Old 08-21-2022, 01:12 AM
PhillyNate
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

@kiznarsh I recently installed numeric cables and can agree about the noise completely. I am hearing exactly what you heard and I have a base 2010 and you had a base 2009 if memory serves. Having said that my shifts are infinitely better with the upgraded cables over stock and I would NEVER go back to OEM. The nvh is slightly annoying but livable considering what was gained. Particularly not having to worry about being stranded on the side of the road anymore. I AM NOT however experiencing any difficulty in shifting you described. In fact as I said shifting improved 10 fold.

Last edited by PhillyNate; 08-21-2022 at 01:15 AM.
kiznarsh (08-21-2022)

Quick Reply: From 981 CS to Base 987.2, The Story Continues