Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accident in Boise, Idaho

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 09:11 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 813 Likes on 427 Posts

Last edited by Waxer; 09-29-2017 at 10:29 AM.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:14 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,030 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer

If I'm the plaintiff's attorney in this matter I am also targeting the organization putting on the cruise/C&C. They have responsibility for this too. Its become custom from what I've seen for C&C cars to burn out upon leaving with spectators lining up. Clearly foreseeable. Been to a number of C&C and this stuff always goes on when cars leave. Just do a Youtube. Common.
Really? To what purpose?

The driver in Idaho was an idiot and deserves criminal and civil punishment, including liability for impacts of the crash.

Other drivers who exhibit similar stupidity also probably deserve attention from local law enforcement, even if they do not crash or cause any injuries. That would seem to be why we have traffic laws.

So why sue or otherwise target the "organization", which might just be a local email list or other informal group? Hoping for deeper pockets? Trying to put an end to such gatherings?

When did we give up on personal responsibility?
Old 09-25-2017, 11:38 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

When did we give up on personal responsibility?
That ended decades ago. If a student fails at school, it's the teacher's fault. If someone chooses a criminal life style, it's society's fault. An individual is never at fault.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:59 PM
fast1
Race Car

In the end, this guy is in a world of $hit. The damage to his Spyder is the least of it
The people who have my sympathy are those who were hospitalized. You can always make more money, but some of these injuries could permanently affect some ones quality of life for decades.

One of the disadvantages of having all of the computer aids on modern cars is that it inflates a driver's view of his capabilities. When I first got involved in racing back in 1969, there were no aids. If a driver wasn't talented, it wouldn't be a mystery to him or to others. Today some drivers may feel that they are a lot better than they are, and unfortunately it may take an incident like this for a driver to come to grips with reality. As Clint Eastwood famously said in Dirty Harry, a man's gotta know his limitations.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:58 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Last edited by Waxer; 09-29-2017 at 10:47 AM.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:17 AM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Calling out the spectators who weren't in the road on their responsibility is the blame shift of all blame shifts. I have not been to many C&C's but the ones I have attended had lovely cars, decent people, many police officers (including some participants) and zero burnouts. Pedestrians should be safe when not in the road, period.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:21 AM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 77 Posts

Agree. I've been to many C&C's and never seen a burn out or a car spin off the road. It's a bit much to claim spectators or the C&C organizer share responsibility with this fool.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:18 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Last edited by Waxer; 09-29-2017 at 10:48 AM.
Old 09-26-2017, 04:27 PM
fast1
Race Car

In fact if you want to talk about personal responsibility you don't think it was stupid for the pedestrians themselves to be lining up right along side the road to watch idiots burn out and speed by. Gee no one would ever foresee an idiot losing control and running off the road. Nah.
So if I'm taking a walk and see a Porsche Turbo S or some other high powered Sports car, I have the obligation to seek shelter since I should be able to foresee that drivers of high HP cars will drive recklessly and endanger my life? My expectation is that drivers of all cars, regardless of their HP, will abide by local driving laws.

Now if we move from public roads to the race track, we have an entirely different model. Race cars will travel at high rates of speed at the race track, and track owners have a responsibility to ensure the safety of spectators.

In my case I have attended a couple of C&Cs at Hunt Valley, MD. I went there to see some exotic cars and talk to their owners. People gather at the HV mall parking lot on Saturday mornings. I vaguely recall one Ferrari owner revving his car's engine, but certainly no burnouts. Maybe the HV C&C is the exception, but at that location it was a gathering of lots of enthusiasts who had interests in Porsches , Ferraris, Corvettes, Vipers, etc.
Old 09-26-2017, 04:50 PM
Kalashnikov
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The tone of C&C 100% depends on the organizers and their message. Scottsdale C&C organizers are very clear about categorically telling people NOT to do burnouts, rev engines etc.

When I was organizing the RennRun this year, I made similar post emphasizing no reckless driving or stupidity when everyone is driving in the group.

The reality of driving is such that you could be Senna-level talented driver and have God-like control of the car 999,999/1,000,000 times; but that one time you mess up, the 999,999 times you didn't mess up no longer count.

This is the example of guy who had more talent and reflexes than anyone on here. How did he end up? His friend was driving the car, lost control and passenger side wrapped around the tree. Such is life.

Old 09-26-2017, 04:51 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,870 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheAddict
Agree. I've been to many C&C's and never seen a burn out or a car spin off the road. It's a bit much to claim spectators or the C&C organizer share responsibility with this fool.
Agree, no legal/technical responsibility on the spectators who were off the road, but it is stupid to line up right on the road when idiots are doing burnouts. I would not have been anywhere near the road.
Old 09-26-2017, 05:38 PM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Received 424 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Agree, no legal/technical responsibility on the spectators who were off the road, but it is stupid to line up right on the road when idiots are doing burnouts. I would not have been anywhere near the road.
Yeah baby!

Old 09-26-2017, 06:34 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,870 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by mchrono
Yeah baby!

Yeah, those people are tards too, and they sometimes get taken out, but at least the drivers in those situations have mad skills. Not like the average dip**** who drives his car back and forth to C&C and Starbucks a few times a month.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:28 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 724 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Yeah, those people are tards too, and they sometimes get taken out, but at least the drivers in those situations have mad skills. Not like the average dip**** who drives his car back and forth to C&C and Starbucks a few times a month.
And sometimes those rally drivers would find a finger in their front grill from where a spectator got too close. As above - you can't fix stupid.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:00 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Last edited by Waxer; 09-29-2017 at 10:48 AM.

Quick Reply: Accident in Boise, Idaho