Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accident in Boise, Idaho

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 10:51 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 813 Likes on 427 Posts

Maverick/Jamie: Thanks.

Jamie, can you help me graduate from being an attorney too? Brutal way to make a living.
Old 09-30-2017, 11:36 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 724 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787
Not sure about a Porsche story it's a bad accident nothing more, and terrible for all involved.
Nothing 'accidental' about that crash.
Old 09-30-2017, 11:45 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,009 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
It's a foolish incident. Are you saying he did it on purpose? It was wreckless and he lost control of a car doing something foolish how is that not an accident?
Old 09-30-2017, 12:04 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
Your post reminds me of an article I read a couple years ago about not using the word "accident" when describing auto crashes. The recommendation was to replace "accident" with "incident" or "crash", since "accident" can be read by some as a term exonerating the person responsible. For example if a person ignores the warning at a gas pump regarding smoking while filling a car up with gas, is it an accident when the fuel tank ignites. Changing semantics is meant to shake people out of the implicit "nobody’s at fault" attitude that the word “accident” conveys.
Old 09-30-2017, 03:56 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

It was reckless and he lost control of a car doing something foolish how is that not an accident?
That was an accident waiting to happen, not simply an accident. Or as our lawyer friends would say, a 100% at-fault accident. He he. Big difference. To add insult to injury, most would label that driver as a d bag who doesn't know how to drive. This is my last post on this thread, as it ran its course. Hope we all learned the same lesson here: DO NOT ever engage in that kind of foolish crap folks, even if you think you can control your car. That behavior is likely to kill such events in the future out of fear of liability, and it'd be a shame. Have a great weekend everybody.
Old 09-30-2017, 04:41 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,870 Likes on 1,902 Posts

It's a foolish incident. Are you saying he did it on purpose? It was wreckless and he lost control of a car doing something foolish how is that not an accident?
So if I get hammered drunk and then plow through a crowd of people, you'd consider that an accident?

IMO, actions people take that precipitate an event have a bearing on whether I consider something purely an accident or not. There is a continuum between accident and on-purpose in my book. This type of thing falls clearly in the middle IMO.
Old 09-30-2017, 08:34 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
So if I get hammered drunk and then plow through a crowd of people, you'd consider that an accident?

IMO, actions people take that precipitate an event have a bearing on whether I consider something purely an accident or not. There is a continuum between accident and on-purpose in my book. This type of thing falls clearly in the middle IMO.
Agreed.
Old 09-30-2017, 10:05 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Guys I'm not here to debate what happen was deplorable ........do you guys think the guy said let me spin my tires and loose control and maul people down? If anyone reads what I said it was wreckless behavior and it resulted into a BAD accident. Ask yourselves this has any of you drove a car 100 mph on a public road? Please don't tell me you were cautions. The guy was foolish and he will pay for it, and it's sad. If it was not an accident someone please tell me what the definition is?? This place has turned into let's debate why someone did something stupid. "Accident" = an unfortunate incident that happens unexpectedly and unintentionally, typically resulting into damage or injury. Please tell me the way you all understand accident? Done!
Old 09-30-2017, 10:17 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Key word in your sentence is your opinion right? Not being a smart ***, but serious your opinion is not a matter of fact that states what the true definition means.

The traditional common law definition comes from the oft-cited words in Fenton v. Thorley: "The word accident is not a technical legal term with a clearly defined meaning. Speaking generally, but with reference to legal liabilities, an accident means any unintended and unexpected occurrence which produces hurt or loss.
Old 09-30-2017, 10:49 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Key word in your sentence is your opinion right? Not being a smart ***, but serious your opinion is not a matter of fact that states what the true definition means.

The traditional common law definition comes from the oft-cited words in Fenton v. Thorley: "The word accident is not a technical legal term with a clearly defined meaning. Speaking generally, but with reference to legal liabilities, an accident means any unintended and unexpected occurrence which produces hurt or loss.
I like that definition but I imagine that there could be lots of debate around the word "unexpected".
Old 10-01-2017, 12:08 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 813 Likes on 427 Posts

I would normally volunteer to educate and clarify but... uh no thanks.

Maverick and Archimedes are on the right track though. They can pm me if they want and a few others who have been decent for clarification so they clearly understand the legal principles and their relationships if they have interest. The rest of you guys (and you know who you are) are on your own.

Last edited by Waxer; 10-01-2017 at 12:48 PM.
Old 10-01-2017, 01:35 AM
PiB993
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
I would normally volunteer to educate and clarify but... uh no thanks.

(Yes - I've been reading this thread regularly since it started.)
Old 10-01-2017, 06:34 PM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 476 Likes on 267 Posts

This thread had me at “douchenozzle”. Game over.

DaveGee

Quick Reply: Accident in Boise, Idaho