Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accident in Boise, Idaho

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 02:48 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

I think reasonable people could agree that it would be stupid for people to line up along side a drag strip to watch the drag race. I think reasonable people would agree it would be wrong for any organzier to permit this. If a public road is being used as a drag strip, well....follow the bouncing ball.
Yep, but I also agree that it would be stupid to put my hands into a ragging fire, but what has that to do with anything. The only thing that a drag race and C&C have in common is that they both involve cars. You are creating a straw man argument which has nothing to do with this incident.
Old 09-27-2017, 03:03 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 813 Likes on 427 Posts

Or how about this.

Last edited by Waxer; 09-29-2017 at 10:35 AM.
Old 09-27-2017, 03:21 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 77 Posts

Can we all agree being near mustangs at a C&C is the real assumption of risk here?
Old 09-27-2017, 03:33 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,870 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Well now that we've beaten this issue to death, let's get down to the important questions. What's the totaled car going to be sold by the ins company for and was there any damage to the PCCBs? I want them.

Too soon?
Old 09-27-2017, 03:38 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Dibs on the 3.8 in it...
Old 09-27-2017, 03:43 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
You obviously haven't thought much through and clearly have no awareness of the concept in the law of comparative negligence.
Of course I do, but you're applying that the wrong way, maybe because you make a nice living exploiting that? The moment you jump on your car, you're taking a risk (hundreds die every day in car accidents), but if you get hit by a drunk driver, that doesn't mean you're liable too because you knew it was a risk driving. Come on man. Living is a risk even in a bunker, since you can get cancer. But that's why there're laws, to make us SAFER, not safe. Sidewalk is for pedestrians, therefore under no circumstances anybody should be legally liable for standing there. Is it stupid in certain cases? You bet. But we're discussing legal liability, not stupidity.
Old 09-27-2017, 03:44 PM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Well now that we've beaten this issue to death, let's get down to the important questions. What's the totaled car going to be sold by the ins company for and was there any damage to the PCCBs? I want them.

Too soon?
You don't want any of those parts. They may be haunted by the spirits of the injured people. Moreover, the parts could be imbued with the stupidity of the prior owner, and the stupidity could be contagious. You could have an irresistible impulse to do burnouts in populated areas.
Old 09-27-2017, 03:54 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,870 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
You don't want any of those parts. They may be haunted by the spirits of the injured people. Moreover, the parts could be imbued with the stupidity of the prior owner, and the stupidity could be contagious. You could have an irresistible impulse to do burnouts in populated areas.
I know a guy that knows a guy that knows a witch doctor. I'll be good.

I'll give them $50-60k for the car, scavenge the PCCB, sell the motor, tranny and LWBs, part out the few remaining parts (any wheels, suspension, etc. that are undamaged).
Old 09-27-2017, 09:56 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 813 Likes on 427 Posts

Attached Images  

Last edited by Waxer; 09-29-2017 at 10:34 AM.
Old 09-27-2017, 11:35 PM
fast1
Race Car

Yes, a sidewalk is for pedestrians. Under normal circumstances you would be correct. An unsuspecting pedestrian walking his dog is not responsible for a car suddenly swerving and running him and Fido over. But when that pedestrian uses that sidewalk next to a roadway being misued to get close to dangerous conduct the previous paradym changes and changes drastically...or so I thought until you enlightened me. LOL.
I bolded what I believe is the key point in your post. So should spectators at a C&C be reasonably expected to anticipate a risk while watching the cars depart?

I would expect cars to abide by local traffic laws whether or not they are participating in a C&C. If on the other hand I'm naive, and it is well known that it's highly likely that cars participating in C&C events are likely to drive recklessly when they depart, then I would expect that the local police should have the responsibility to patrol these events to protect the general public. For example when I was young and partied on a regular basis, I would almost always see patrol cars parked near bar rooms at around 2:30 AM. Apparently there were enough inebriated drivers at these establishments in the wee hours of the morning to justify a police presence.

Driving behavior at C&Cs depicted in the videos in this thread are foreign to me since I have never witnessed reckless driving at the C&Cs I've attended. The owners of the exotic cars that frequent the C&C events that I attend are typically 55+, and they are long past the age where they try to impress anyone. The following is a link to the kind of behavior that I witness in the C&C that I attend. If you know and appreciate the exotic cars they have, it's fine, but if you don't that's also fine .
Old 09-28-2017, 01:10 AM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 210 Likes on 150 Posts

To be sure, some lawyers are a$$holes and snakes but the legal profession doesn't have a monopoly on a$$holes and snakes last I checked. I pretty sure what you do for a living has it's share of a$$holes and snakes.

I think reasonable people could agree that it would be stupid for people to line up along side a drag strip to watch the drag race. I think reasonable people would agree it would be wrong for any organzier to permit this. If a public road is being used as a drag strip, well....follow the bouncing ball.
Are you sure you can identify a$$holes and snakes as you cannot seem to distingush between a drag strip and a public road.
Old 09-28-2017, 01:44 AM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

As I always say...people hate lawyers until they need one.
The only person that won was the attorneys in civil lawsuit. Half a mill in fee's paid out of pocket. My close friend whom is a laywer ALWAYS tells me - DO EVERYTHING within your power to settle out of court W/ out a lawyer. He basically begged me. When i had an auto accident a few months back w/ my DD- i did just that. Settled w/ person whom rear ended me out of court/ no lawyers. After spending half a mill in attorney fees last time around w attorney - believe me i will take his advise of settling for pennies but w/ out an attorney, if i'm the plaintiff.

p.s. he used much more colorful language then "hate".
Old 09-28-2017, 08:02 AM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

This thread is off the hinges. We've got Waxer trying to show ALL C&C involve reckless driving and risk to pedestrians, to show negligence on the part of the organizer, based on what, random YouTube videos across the world? I'm guessing you're a plaintiffs' lawyer? One suggestion from a fellow lawyer: measly 2 day exams and 3 years of school post-undergrad aren't going to impress people, especially the many doctors on this forum who spent more than that just getting hazed in residency.
Old 09-28-2017, 08:07 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Yeah, this thread is getting crazy. So now we post pictures to brag/boast about our earnings?
Old 09-28-2017, 09:44 AM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I worked in medicine, as such I can assure you one can be rich, scholastically talented, professionally accomplished and still be a giant douchebag. What are we posting next? Wieners next to rulers?

Quick Reply: Accident in Boise, Idaho