Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

982 GT4 Spyder?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2019, 12:55 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts
Default A bit of history re: colors

Originally Posted by JSF101
I think the one question outstanding that none of the cleaning ladies have addressed: which will cost more? the Spyder or the GT4?
GT4...I am pretty sure.
As you know better than most since you bought two gt4's when they came out, that model was slightly less than $3K more expensive
than the Boxster Spyder in MY2016!

and reference the previous post about colors, typical Porsche bait and switch....fewer color choices so you have to spend more than
$11,000 to get a color (PTS) you'd really like to see as one of the standard or premium choices (very disappointing) would like to see
a nice bright green a la Lizard, a dark green, plus an orange, couple of reds, couple of blues, an interesting yellow and a nice purple
(we'll be lucky to see one out of these nine possibles)
If we are 'lucky', we will get these color choices on the upcoming Boxster Spyder:

There is a possibility that Porsche will allow these limited colors for the Spyder because they already
negotiated with their suppliers for the possibility of doing interior trim in these specific colors for their
limited edition 'Speedster'. From a logistics point of view, it would make sense them to duplicate the
exact same colors for the 'Spyder' since their sub-contractors would have already 'experience' with
the application of these particular hues to possible CXX options that may be allowed on both models.

We got the absolute smallest choice of colors in the MY2011/MY2012 987 Boxster Spyder. For MY2011,
we got these 3 standard, 4 metallic and 1 'Special Color'. If I recall correctly, for MY2012 they eliminated
one of the metallics and reduced the choice to just 7 colors in total!

The PTS window for MY2011 was never opened by PAG/PCNA to the public. PCNA did order a MY2011 'Meteor Grey Metallic'
Spyder for the Detroit Auto Show and then put it in it's road show where it toured the country. For MY2012, it was a slightly
different story. After telling us that PTS would not be available, PCNA announced a PTS window in the spring of 2011 for the
MY2012 that was only left opened for two or three short weeks. You (JSF101) were the only end customer in the US that
successfully ordered a MY2012 PTS Spyder. In your case, a beautiful 'Speed Yellow' example which I believe you ordered
via Porsche of San Antonio.

Two experienced PTS dealers (Euroclassic-Midlothian, VA & Walter's in Riverside, CA) were able to order the only other two
PTS Spyders produced for MY2012. VA Euro's was in 'Azure Blau' and Walter's was in 'Riviera Blau'. Both were ordered on
'spec' and after they arrived they quickly found end-use owners for them. The Walter's 'Riviera Blue' first owner is the OP of
this thread - Donavan (n4v4nod).

The 'Azure Blau' Spyder ended up initially also in Oregon:

I am hopeful that the PTS window for the upcoming Boxster Spyder will open up with first allocations for fall 2019 production...
just like it was with the just released LE .2 991 Speedster. But we will find out soon enough. I am ready to pull the trigger on
'Lizard Green' if offered on the Spyder avoid the vagaries & potential delays of PTS. As many of you know, I am deeply
disappointed on how PAG is running it's PTS program at the present time and I rather avoid dealing with them if at all
possible.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Scottsdale

Last edited by Z356; 05-26-2019 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-26-2019, 09:52 AM
AlpineR
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks for posting Eduardo.
Old 05-26-2019, 02:52 PM
JSF101
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 97 Posts

Eduardo, welcome back!

did you ever get that Ferrari?

hope you're right on colors
would be nice to have a "unique color" for the Spyder & GT4...something bright & colorful

but the Lizard Green, Miami Blue, Carmine Red & Lava Orange would be better than nothing
and certainly avoid the hassles of PTS!

cheers,
Steve
Originally Posted by Z356

If we are 'lucky', we will get these color choices on the upcoming Boxster Spyder:

Saludos,
Eduardo
Scottsdale
Old 05-27-2019, 01:31 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Eduardo, welcome back!
did you ever get that Ferrari?
Thank you, Steve.

No, I did not get the 488 Spider yet!

I have cleared the deck for it. Sold the MY2017 991S last October.

And the 1973 914 2.0 last month.

So I am down to the 1970 911E Targa, a 1990 Mazda Miata and my dd 2016 Audi RS7.

So I am getting ready to pull the trigger...sort of.. I thought the Boxster Spyder, for which I am #2
at my P-dealer, would be announced by now. And since I don't expect this Boxster Spyder to be
very expensive, I am planning to go ahead with its purchase.

The Ferrari 488 is a different kettle of fish. Due to considerations re: the steep depreciation of a
new Ferrari, I decided not to order a new 2019 488 Spider even though I had an allocation. And
now that the new mid-engine model (the F8 Tributo) has been announced, there are no more
allocations for the 488 Spider to be had in any case. So I will probable take my chances with a
second hand acquisition this Fall.

Many of my friends say go for the 458...but I am more interested in the higher performance & better
looks (to my eyes) of the 488 than the previous NA 458 model. And because I am only interested in
the open Spider model, the cognoscenti tell me that the structural rigidity of the 488 Spider matches
the one of the 488 GTB Berlinetta. That is not the case for the 458 Spider, which was not structurally
as rigid as it's 'Italia' coupe counterpart. I am hoping to get a MY2018 488 Spider with less than 2000
miles & still with two full years left of its factory warranty. Still, I am looking at a minimum US $300K
acquisition cost on an originally priced US $350K+ MSRP MY2018 Ferrari 488 Spider. I just need to
understand better the expected depreciation...and go from there. I hope that by late Fall I will be able
to find the right car. We will see.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Scottsdale
Old 05-27-2019, 10:21 AM
robcut1
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you, Steve.

No, I did not get the 488 Spider yet!

I have cleared the deck for it. Sold the MY2017 991S last October.

And the 1973 914 2.0 last month.

So I am down to the 1970 911E Targa, a 1990 Mazda Miata and my dd 2016 Audi RS7.

So I am getting ready to pull the trigger...sort of.. I thought the Boxster Spyder, for which I am #2
at my P-dealer, would be announced by now. And since I don't expect this Boxster Spyder to be
very expensive, I am planning to go ahead with its purchase.

The Ferrari 488 is a different kettle of fish. Due to considerations re: the steep depreciation of a
new Ferrari, I decided not to order a new 2019 488 Spider even though I had an allocation. And
now that the new mid-engine model (the F8 Tributo) has been announced, there are no more
allocations for the 488 Spider to be had in any case. So I will probable take my chances with a
second hand acquisition this Fall.

Many of my friends say go for the 458...but I am more interested in the higher performance & better
looks (to my eyes) of the 488 than the previous NA 458 model. And because I am only interested in
the open Spider model, the cognoscenti tell me that the structural rigidity of the 488 Spider matches
the one of the 488 GTB Berlinetta. That is not the case for the 458 Spider, which was not structurally
as rigid as it's 'Italia' coupe counterpart. I am hoping to get a MY2018 488 Spider with less than 2000
miles & still with two full years left of its factory warranty. Still, I am looking at a minimum US $300K
acquisition cost on an originally priced US $350K+ MSRP MY2018 Ferrari 488 Spider. I just need to
understand better the expected depreciation...and go from there. I hope that by late Fall I will be able
to find the right car. We will see.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Scottsdale
Eduardo, I do not think any of the regular F series cars are structurally similar to the coupes. At least not yet. I have come to the realization that an F car Spider is something to enjoy driving on the streets whenever possible and it hardly matters whether it is a Cali T like I have, a 488 or 458 other than what styling you like better, what feels better sitting in, what sounds better, which infotainment system seems best, etc. Basically, you have to prioritize what is most important. Yes, each will have different driving dynamics as well, but I wouldn’t track any of these. Therefore, if you want to get a Ferrari Spider, my thoughts are to try and get into something less expensive maybe even a new Portofino which will leave room for a drivable, blazingly fast and “affordable” non-F car track coupe such as a 3RS, C8, NSX, GTR. That way if you beat it a bit, who cars. Whatever you buy will lose at least 30% in the first two years, even more if you put miles on it and track it (except for the 3RS), that is why I believe for a track car, less is more in this case.
Old 05-27-2019, 04:50 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by robcut1
Eduardo, I do not think any of the regular F series cars are structurally similar to the coupes. At least not yet.
That is not what I hear. First of all, all major European luxury cars manufacturers are making great strides in
building their cabriolet-type cars more rigid. The latest making this announcement is Porsche itself. For the
first time, Sport PASM is available on a Porsche cabriolet for the simple reason that torsional rigidity on new

992 model is finally on par with the coupe!

And Ferrari has achieved a similar breakthrough on their 488 Spider chassis vs their 488 gtb:

So unless you think both Porsche and Ferrari are misrepresenting their published figures on the torsional rigidity of
their open-top offerings, the fact is that there are vast improvements in both the 992 cabriolet and the 488 Spider...
similar to their coupe offerings! And that is the very reason why I rather invest in a 488 Spider than a 458 Spider

regardless of the NA engine & better engine sound!

Regardless, it is true however that a Porsche offers a better value proposition (
and a choice of a manual transmission)
in the sport market than Ferrari. And remember that I am expecting to go ahead with my purchase of the upcoming
Boxster Spyder which might become a very important & desirable model in the line up of offerings from Zuffenhausen,

Saludos,
Eduardo
Scottsdale

PS I am not interested in the Portofino or the older California. I had the opportunity to drive an early California
in Europe for two weeks in Europe while attending the Dino 50th Anniversary Gathering at Maranello last year.
And I was not impressed with the California...although very happy to have used it for the trip from Germany to
Maranello, Lago di Garda and the Dolomites!

Old 05-27-2019, 07:04 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

................ all major European luxury cars manufacturers are making great strides in
building their cabriolet-type cars more rigid. The latest making this announcement is Porsche itself. For the
first time, Sport PASM is available on a Porsche cabriolet for the simple reason that torsional rigidity on new

I envy your passion for cars, Eduardo. Way to go! To add to your points about open top cars being on par with their coupe counterparts, in terms of chassis rigidity, doesn't Ferrari design it's cars as open-top first? I remember reading (not sure if it was beginning with 360 or 430) that they design their V8 models to be open top to begin with, then close the top. Of course, closing the top section (in other words, not missing a section of the body) will increase the rigidity. They may add some reinforcements to make up drop in stiffness. Still, it's a remarkable achievement if the Spider/Cab equal (or, almost-equal) their coupe counterparts. I passed up on 991.1 GTS Cab since I couldn't spec SPASM. Nice to see 992 remedies that shortcoming.

Unless you're chasing lap times, open-air motoring is the best way to soak up the experience! Well, to me anyway!

I've high expectations for 982 Spyder as well. It's gonna be kick-***!
Old 05-28-2019, 09:46 AM
robcut1
Instructor

That is not what I hear. First of all, all major European luxury cars manufacturers are making great strides in

And Ferrari has achieved a similar breakthrough on their 488 Spider chassis vs their 488 gtb:

So unless you think both Porsche and Ferrari are misrepresenting their published figures on the torsional rigidity of
their open-top offerings, the fact is that there are vast improvements in both the 992 cabriolet and the 488 Spider...
similar to their coupe offerings! And that is the very reason why I rather invest in a 488 Spider than a 458 Spider

regardless of the NA engine & better engine sound

Saludos,
Eduardo
Scottsdale

PS I am not interested in the Portofino or the older California.
First, I never said that other manufacturers were not able to make open air cars as structurally sound as coupes, I was specifically referring to Ferrari which is evident just by looking at the various lap times in the Coupe verses the spider even for the 488. Mclaren does a great job for example. Personally, I am looking forward to the newer Ferrari offerings since the F8, 488, 458 are all designs from almost 10 years ago. For me, the infotainment systems are archaic. It doesn’t mean I wouldn’t buy one, but there is no way I am spending close to 300k for a 488 when I can get a 458 for closer to 200k. If I am buying at 300k, it better be something fresh and unique and be the best at everything. For me, if it would have to include a top down experience as well in one car, I would guess the 720 spider. Otherwise, I am spending a little more and buying two separate cars for two separate reasons like I originally stated. A fast coupe which is track ready and a cruising spider. If I had to include a Ferrari, I am standing by my original comments of going with one of their less expensive offerings for top down cruising as well as a separate coupe from a different manufacturer for all out speed.

I never implied considering an older California for everyday cruising. I was discussing a California T which has a detuned version of the 488 engine.

Last edited by robcut1; 05-28-2019 at 10:12 AM.
Old 05-28-2019, 01:02 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

First, I never said that other manufacturers were not able to make open air cars as structurally sound as coupes,
I was specifically referring to Ferrari which is evident just by looking at the various lap times in the Coupe verses
the spider even for the 488. Mclaren does a great job for example. Personally, I am looking forward to the newer
Ferrari offerings since the F8, 488, 458 are all designs from almost 10 years ago. For me, the infotainment systems
are archaic. It doesn’t mean I wouldn’t buy one, but there is no way I am spending close to 300k for a 488 when I
can get a 458 for closer to 200k. If I am buying at 300k, it better be something fresh and unique and be the best at
everything. For me, if it would have to include a top down experience as well in one car, I would guess the 720 spider.
Otherwise, I am spending a little more and buying two separate cars for two separate reasons like I originally stated.
A fast coupe which is track ready and a cruising spider. If I had to include a Ferrari, I am standing by my original
comments of going with one of their less expensive offerings for top down cruising as well as a separate coupe
from a different manufacturer for all out speed. I never implied considering an older California for everyday cruising.
I was discussing a California T which has a detuned version of the 488 engine.
I would not spend more time than you have already done so giving me your opinion on what Ferrari I should buy with
my money. I don't know you. Perhaps you might find this hard to believe...but I really don't care what you think.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Scottsdale
Old 05-29-2019, 09:35 AM
robcut1
Instructor

I would not spend more time than you have already done so giving me your opinion on what Ferrari I should buy with
my money. I don't know you. Perhaps you might find this hard to believe...but I really don't care what you think.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Scottsdale
Sorry, I didn’t mean to offend you at all. I just wanted to share my opinion since I have been debating the same thing for several years looking at all the possibilities and trying to draw the best conclusion after a long debate. I really just wanted to help since I felt that I was in a position to do so. I own a Ferrari, a GT2RS and either a Speedster or a Spyder and am very excited about the new Ferrari being introduced today. I apologize again since I thought you were asking for opinions.
Rob
Old 05-31-2019, 07:56 PM
robcut1
Instructor

Sorry, I didn’t mean to offend you at all. I just wanted to share my opinion since I have been debating the same thing for several years looking at all the possibilities and trying to draw the best conclusion after a long debate. I really just wanted to help since I felt that I was in a position to do so. I own a Ferrari, a GT2RS and either a Speedster or a Spyder and am very excited about the new Ferrari being introduced today. I apologize again since I thought you were asking for opinions.
Rob
I don’t know about anyone else, but the SF90 is probably one of my least favorite Ferrari releases. I wouldn’t mind the rear looking like a combination of a couple of chevys if I thought that it looked good, but it is so cumbersome looking, and heavy that everything else seems unimportant. It seems like Ferrari just handed Porsche and Mclaren a home run. Even makes more sense for me to stay with my 2RS which offers 95% of the performance of the Ferrari at half the price (and probably twice the fun and driving emotion) and try to add something which offers as pure of a driving experience as possible which I believe is the Boxster Spyder or the Speedster. I also love the finesse, styling, comfort and performance of my Cali T. Great for going out to dinner with the wife and is actually my DD.
Old 06-01-2019, 03:38 AM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,618 Likes on 890 Posts

View this post on Instagram
Old 06-01-2019, 04:09 AM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/2019...-weissach.html
Old 06-01-2019, 04:45 AM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Old 06-01-2019, 10:00 AM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Feeling a little numb to now learn that Porsche considered and actually built a light-weight special adopting so many weight-reducing ideas/features I have yearned for:

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...monza-sp1.html

So sad that it is not to be, but pleased to know that some at Porsche thought, like some of us here, that building an ultra-lightweight Spyder that taps into their rich mid-engine racing heritage would be a highly worthwhile endeavor.

I can only hope that some of the weight reduction lessons learned from making this incredible prototype trickle down and find their way into future production models.

Quick Reply: 982 GT4 Spyder?