968 Forum 1992-1995

92 Lagoon Green 968

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 01:27 AM
jsheiry
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 136 Posts
Default 92 Lagoon Green 968

About a month ago a local guy was selling his 968. I looked at a couple pictures and decided to have a look. The day before I could go out there his contractor purchased the car! A few days ago the contractor called me and asked if I was still interested as he did not have the time or resources to fix the car. I picked it up this past weekend. Jeff had indicated it had an all leather interior and a limited slip differential. Here is a pic on the trailer. She needs a LOT of work. Apparently there is a rule when you decide to abandon your Porsche for 10 years... you must first find an appropriate tree to park it under so that every drain hole can get clogged and create a real mess. 2nd one I have brought home with 50 lbs of rotting leaves and everything else. Had to displace a few mice from the floorboards. Drivers side has a few sizable dents.

Think there are only 3 options for Lagoon :

1 Keep for a DE/Track car, and dont care too much about how she looks. Just get the dents out and make reasonable looking. Wont hurt my feelings to drive it hard.

2 Get running and sell to someone who wants a project with a happy ending. A 1 of 2 968 in a good looking unique color.

3 Part out as the sum of the parts is currently worth WAY more than the whole. I could hardly do this with a clear conscious as it is fixable.

Have spent nearly two days cleaning her up and trying to figure out what I have. Seems to need a fuel pump. (DME relay replaced and same results, no fuel)
Attached Images  
Old 05-29-2017, 10:38 AM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 121 Posts

Similar story to the Matador minus the rear end collision. It is a cool and unique 968. I hope someone steps up and makes her whole again. FYI, Full leather seats ($2256), not the full leather interior, also has a full 8 way power driver's seat. 220 LSD for sure. The car is 1 of 1 when you factor in the interior. the other Lagoon coupe has light grey/black. No lagoon cabs were sold in North America, just the two coupes. Good luck
Old 05-29-2017, 11:57 AM
vipergreent
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sent you a PM

Last edited by vipergreent; 05-29-2017 at 12:30 PM.
Old 05-29-2017, 03:21 PM
968gene
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 30 Posts

Did you check the DME fuse? Does it have power at the fuel pump?
Old 05-29-2017, 03:58 PM
Speedvagen
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Love that color - I vote for bringing her back.
Old 05-29-2017, 04:16 PM
tony968
Intermediate

I'd vote to take it to the scrap yard! Not worth the effort. IMHO

​​​​​​​
Old 05-29-2017, 09:30 PM
Jymmybob
Advanced

Voting option 1 because it's really nice to be able to bomb around and not feel bad. Most people don't pay that much attention to the overall condition anyhow.
Old 05-29-2017, 09:45 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 266 Likes on 153 Posts

In this order-

2 or 1 and definitely not 3.
Old 05-29-2017, 09:55 PM
jsheiry
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tony968
I'd vote to take it to the scrap yard! Not worth the effort. IMHO

​​​​​​​
Tony,

Its wonderful we live in the good old USA where even people like you get their voice. I wouldnt have it any other way, makes the world go round. Thanks for your vote, its been counted.

The other 3 people who PM'd me about buying it didnt think you were correct and want to purchase it. Im not sure I even want to sell it, 100% sure it wont go to the scrap yard.

If you ever see one at the scrap yard let me know and I will bring my trailer. Chances are you NEVER will, but its nice to be loud and obnoxious in the mean time.
Old 05-29-2017, 10:07 PM
jsheiry
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 968gene
Did you check the DME fuse? Does it have power at the fuel pump?
Gene,

Changed the DME relay, checked the fuse. No joy.

Drained the fuel tank today. Getting ready for more fuel pump troubleshooting.
Going to jumper the relay/dme and see if there is voltage at the pump. Had to go to a picnic/gathering today and did not get much done.

Thought the alloy lug nut rot was unique to the Jungle car. NOPE. First wheel 4 of 5 lug nuts came off, fifth broke, had to drill, what a mess. 2nd wheel 4 of 5 came off 5th broke. Tired
Old 05-29-2017, 10:08 PM
968gene
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 30 Posts

Does the "968" badging to the right of center indicate the car was repainted or previously hit?
Old 05-29-2017, 10:16 PM
jsheiry
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 968gene
Does the "968" badging to the right of center indicate the car was repainted or previously hit?
Gene,

There is no doubt it has been repainted. Dont no about previously hit. The drivers side has two fairly large dents, the rear bumper has a good shot on it that cracked the tail light lense. Drivers front fender has been repaired just under the headlight in the past.

Who ever put the 968 logo on clearly forgot where it was or saw to many 944's and judgement was clouded.

John
Old 05-29-2017, 10:54 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 266 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by jsheiry
Tony,

Its wonderful we live in the good old USA where even people like you get their voice. I wouldnt have it any other way, makes the world go round. Thanks for your vote, its been counted.

The other 3 people who PM'd me about buying it didnt think you were correct and want to purchase it. Im not sure I even want to sell it, 100% sure it wont go to the scrap yard.

If you ever see one at the scrap yard let me know and I will bring my trailer. Chances are you NEVER will, but its nice to be loud and obnoxious in the mean time.
Old 05-29-2017, 11:01 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Not my color choice, but I vote save too
Old 06-05-2017, 02:41 PM
jsheiry
Rennlist Member

Ok, doing this in my normal style...means doing everything at least twice. Bought a used 968 fuel pump from a local source (great guy and not his fault) and the used pump was bad. So after draining tank, removing old pump, lines etc... installed the used one and it did not work in a different way. Drained tank and removed pump 2. First one does nothing, 2nd one gets warm but pumps nothing. Voltage at pump so I know its 2 bad pumps. Probably going to get a new one at this point. Was anxious to hear Lagoon run last weekend....no joy. For those considering saying I should have tested the used pump first, please dont...it only hurts when I smile.

After much effort got all 4 wheels off (had to drill 3 lug nuts that turned to alloy dust upon applying pressure) so I can get to the swelled up with rust rotors and get the calipers off for a rebuild. By the 3rd one I read a genius way to do this drilling that made short work of it. Initially had used a small bit going around the fat part of the lug nut with chiseling etc... Works but the possibility of damage to stud is great. The best way by far was to use a 3/4 hole saw that just barely fits over the size 14 metric stud, this drills the fat part of the lug but protects the stud as the stud is its close guide. (remove pilot bit of course) Still will need some careful chiseling but this method removes max material simply with a guide and then the chiseling is straight forward and minimal. No matter what method you use you will need to carefully stop before getting to the wheel or lest you go through the wheel. As far as the bits are concerned the wheel aint much different than the alloy lug nut.

Things are looking up and cleaner all the time. Its nice that the "Jungle Cab" left a few parts to live another day for Lagoon starting with a crest for the hood.

Quick Reply: 92 Lagoon Green 968