Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Craigslist, Ebay and other online Porsche 968 finds....

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2021, 04:58 PM
DSMblue
Three Wheelin'

Received 202 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by jsheiry
Now I realize that after digesting the fact that this car was painted black and was originally Amethyst that its hard to read on, but if you do you would also see the following:

Its suspension is not worn out and probably has better suspension than most of the garage queens with its new Koni yellows up front, new control arms, bushings, M030 sway bars, and fresh alignment and Koni yellows in the rear. (not cheap to pay others to arrive to this point)

Its maintenance is not behind or sub-standard with recent 2020 belt change, motor mounts, balance shaft housing reseal, rack/pump repairs, etc.... All of which is needed on most of the garage queens presented on BAT with their 5-7K in deferred maintenance.

And further it has a new Billy Boat exhaust, Option code 220 LSD (yes early version Im aware)

So no, this is no "panty removing GT3 RS" but looks to be a road worthy driver, auto cross/DE car with "no apologies" better suspension and maintenance then 9 outa 10 of its detractors. Just sayin.

I also do not know this seller or have a dog in this race but hope The Black Coupe gets "Driven" and the owner gets rewarded with 11-12K for his efforts in keeping this car on the road.
John is correct here. I know the owner and the car, and while it's not a concours example (very few cars are), it is a solid driver, with the potential to be really special in the long term if it gets a full repaint in amethys, reupholstering the front seats and other less major items. In addition to the 220 limited slip, it also has full power and heated seats, which are also rare.
The following users liked this post:
Ufnavy06 (12-05-2021)
Old 12-07-2021, 03:23 PM
royalschwarz
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

6 speed coupes are practically worth 10K in parts anymore (if they are mostly all there no matter what color). You dont see 6 speeds generally sell for less than 10K anymore. Cabs and or tiptronics another story. Show me the last sub 10K 6 speed coupe sale that actually drove down the road ?
Well, it was bid to $9900, reserve not met. Wonder what the reserve was.
Old 12-07-2021, 06:29 PM
DSMblue
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by royalschwarz
Well, it was bid to $9900, reserve not met. Wonder what the reserve was.
Not sure, but I think he wants somewhere around 17 or so.
Old 12-07-2021, 08:57 PM
Yogii
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by DSMblue
Not sure, but I think he wants somewhere around 17 or so.

He better paint it first....

-Yogii
AKA 968 Novice
Old 12-08-2021, 07:58 PM
DSMblue
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Yogii
He better paint it first....

-Yogii
AKA 968 Novice
I tried to convince him to keep it and restore it to its Amethyst glory, but no luck. He has several other P-cars, I think he just doesn't want to invest. If I didn't already have one, I would think about buying, but not at the price he wants.
Old 12-08-2021, 08:55 PM
Ufnavy06
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 51 Posts

Obviously a repaint wouldn't be as valuable as original but what kind of pricing are we talking to get it repainted? Then what kind of value would it have compared to an original paint job? 5% less? 30% less? I'd assume you'd want to strip it back to bare metal and then paint it. Or is it possible to just remove the black (guessing no)? I honestly have no clue but very curious.

Old 12-09-2021, 07:34 AM
jsheiry
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Ufnavy06
Obviously a repaint wouldn't be as valuable as original but what kind of pricing are we talking to get it repainted? Then what kind of value would it have compared to an original paint job? 5% less? 30% less? I'd assume you'd want to strip it back to bare metal and then paint it. Or is it possible to just remove the black (guessing no)? I honestly have no clue but very curious.
I think this is a 10 -15K car with or without a new paint job because of mileage....even though properly maintained people will always see 150K as a driver quality car. The 10K it bid up to was not unreasonable IMHO and just enough to keep its parts from landing on Ebay. At 12.5K I think you have to take that as a fair price and move on. BAT gives average folks unreasonable expectations who dont follow the 968 closely.

The paint job is a labor of love thing....if you took the bumpers and side skirts and door panels off you may be able to get someone to do it for 4-5K. Then you put everything back with new rubber, mirrors, door handles, side skirts, bumpers, fog lights, door panels etc... If you have to pay a shop to do all that then I think its more like 7.5-10K to paint it. I dont think you have to remove the motor to get the shock towers etc but you may leave some black in there where it would not matter much as its never going to be a "show stopper" no matter how well its exterior gets painted IMHO.

Someone else said this and its so true " this is a $50K car held together with speed clips and sheet metal screws" If you have ever taken one apart you will also find that if it had body work/paint at any point in its life they NEVER get put back together with all the right clips, screws, washers, and Porsche designed fasteners unless they are a concours level euro/Porsche shop (pricing not mentioned above) This is why if you do the work of removal you can bag things, label things, buy new things (meaning waiting for things), and most shops will do their best but this work generally falls on the least common denominator in the shop. The best guys are painting and aligning body panels, fab work. Some other guy is putting your bumper and bat wing back together on his back in the parking lot because you have called for the last 3 weeks wondering where your car is and how they have your money and are already 6 weeks behind their promises and when he cant find the last thirteen proper fasteners or screws or washers your car still gets assembled so you can write the final check and get off their back.

Sad but industry standard IMHO. Maybe thats in a city like Washington Metro area where even finding a shop who will take your car is very hard...because what they really want is insurance work where Chinese panels are made for every single Honda & Toyota and there is no waiting for parts.
Old 12-09-2021, 03:00 PM
Yogii
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 152 Posts

I think this is a 10 -15K car with or without a new paint job because of mileage....even though properly maintained people will always see 150K as a driver quality car. The 10K it bid up to was not unreasonable IMHO and just enough to keep its parts from landing on Ebay. At 12.5K I think you have to take that as a fair price and move on. BAT gives average folks unreasonable expectations who dont follow the 968 closely.

The paint job is a labor of love thing....if you took the bumpers and side skirts and door panels off you may be able to get someone to do it for 4-5K. Then you put everything back with new rubber, mirrors, door handles, side skirts, bumpers, fog lights, door panels etc... If you have to pay a shop to do all that then I think its more like 7.5-10K to paint it. I dont think you have to remove the motor to get the shock towers etc but you may leave some black in there where it would not matter much as its never going to be a "show stopper" no matter how well its exterior gets painted IMHO.

Someone else said this and its so true " this is a $50K car held together with speed clips and sheet metal screws" If you have ever taken one apart you will also find that if it had body work/paint at any point in its life they NEVER get put back together with all the right clips, screws, washers, and Porsche designed fasteners unless they are a concours level euro/Porsche shop (pricing not mentioned above) This is why if you do the work of removal you can bag things, label things, buy new things (meaning waiting for things), and most shops will do their best but this work generally falls on the least common denominator in the shop. The best guys are painting and aligning body panels, fab work. Some other guy is putting your bumper and bat wing back together on his back in the parking lot because you have called for the last 3 weeks wondering where your car is and how they have your money and are already 6 weeks behind their promises and when he cant find the last thirteen proper fasteners or screws or washers your car still gets assembled so you can write the final check and get off their back.

Sad but industry standard IMHO. Maybe thats in a city like Washington Metro area where even finding a shop who will take your car is very hard...because what they really want is insurance work where Chinese panels are made for every single Honda & Toyota and there is no waiting for parts.
Sad, but that has been my experience as well....

-Yogii

AKA 968 Novice
Old 12-09-2021, 05:02 PM
DSMblue
Three Wheelin'

Generally agree. I think the best quote is one I heard from Chuck Stoddard many many years ago, paraphrased here "All Porsches cost the same". His point was that you can start with an excellent car, or start with a lesser example and put money into it, at the end you are basically at the same point. I believe that proper investment into this car would eventually be rewarded a few years or more down the line. Either a driver quality repaint or a concours-level restoration are appropriate, just depends on your level of love for the platform and one's desire for use at the end of the process. If I didn't already have a 968 to love and keep making better over time, I would certainly buy at some price point around 10-12K. My thought is that between the paint and the interior restoration needed, investment would be at least 8-10K with disassembly/reassembly being done by the owner instead of the shop (excepting items like installing glass - best left to experts IMO). The owner is a very conscientious person and long PCA member.
Old 12-09-2021, 05:56 PM
royalschwarz
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

This.

Remember, plyhammer was trying to sell a running and driving car with a brand new paintjob for $10K and couldn't sell it for almost a year. And that car had less miles IIRC. Sucks for the owner who put many thousands of $$$ into this car but that's what you get when you pay someone else (and a Porsche dealer at that) to work on your 30 year old car for you. You can't expect to get everything you put into it back out of it when it's time to sell.
Old 12-09-2021, 09:30 PM
Ufnavy06
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 51 Posts

Just a shame it sounds like honestly unless someone wants to hold onto it for a while it's a lost cause.

Wonder what "moron" is repainting a rare car that we'll want 25 years from now? I guess the smart ones do a wrap.
Old 12-17-2021, 06:59 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 209 Likes on 135 Posts

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/rds...420526972.html

Porsche 968 Sport seats
Manual 6 Speed. 1992. 185,000 km. Black with grey leather.
Lots of work done in the last 5000 km. Including; timing belt and ancillaries, new engine mounts, oil cooler re-build, variable valve timing tensioner, new a/c compressor, rotors and pads and other miscellaneous work.
I have had the car since 2005 and it has been on collector plates for the last 4 years. Its been garaged every night since I have owned it. This car has been loved and is quite possibly the best example around.

If the asking price is Canadian $$ there is much to be gained in the conversion!

Old 12-17-2021, 07:08 PM
Eyeman
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

That car does look great Dan. I love to evaluate gauge and especially clock hand fading to see if the car has been stored outside. For sure that car has not been outside much. Looks like a great deal!
Old 12-20-2021, 12:53 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 209 Likes on 135 Posts

From the PCA classifieds: https://mart.pca.org/ads/51169 asking 25K

One of the last 5 968s made on the hand made assembly line at that time. A rare piece of Porsche history! #362 of #366. I am the longest tenured owner at 11 years. Purchased car in 2010 with appx. 78000 miles, currently odometer sits at 88645. Driving the car has been mainly for PCASD back road drives, dinner events, and fun weekend drives. The power top has no tears and works well, as does the power headlamps, windows and seats. This vehicle is better than good condition but is not show winning condition. The some minor rattles with top up for this age but very quiet with top down driving. There are some minor paint scratches on the rear trunk lid and one driver's side door ding about the size of half a dime. No dashboard cracks, seat leather is showing wrinkles but no tears. I have many service receipts. Black Forest Automotive in San Diego has been the independent of choice for regular maintenance. 2020 service included oil change and all normal maintenance checks. Brakes/rotors replaced in 2012. The water pump was changed at 64930 miles in 2003, timing belt done at 74514 miles in 2009, front tires were new at 76900 in 2010, rear tires at 76500 miles in 2010, L&R engine mounts replaced at 70185 in 2009. Extra OEM items included in sale, including an OEM complete pre-cut fabric top. I was able to grab a spare radiator cooling fan and front rt/left struts from a low mileage parted out 968. The vehicle is drive away ready. I have been a long time P-car owner with my first being a 86' 911 manual cab in 1993, currently a 2011 Cayenne and 2021 Targa. Please email for more photos and info.
dbonds (12-30-2021)
Old 12-20-2021, 02:24 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 128 Posts

Nice car on PCA mart. Strange, no mention of the fact that it is a tiptronic. 5th to the last, built in May of 94, reVINed to be a 95. Actually #302 of 306 in 1995. GLWS.
oneof5 (03-20-2022)

Quick Reply: Craigslist, Ebay and other online Porsche 968 finds....