Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Craigslist, Ebay and other online Porsche 968 finds....

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2021 | 09:45 PM
Yogii
Rennlist Member

Please keep an eye on what it finally sells/if it does/ for.
Seems to have some nice options. Wish the photos showed what scratches/cracks/whatnot really looks like.

-Y
AKA 968 Novice
Old 12-01-2021 | 09:10 AM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

What was once a desirable 1 of 19 original paint color car has now been reduced to a pile of crap after a ****ty repaint to the most common color Black.

What a moron.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jay Wellwood:
dlearl476 (12-01-2021), Ufnavy06 (12-02-2021)
Old 12-01-2021 | 11:18 AM
Eyeman
Racer

At least the inside of the trunk is still amethyst. I guess that car might be a tad more valuable than just a straight black car to someone long term since it has that option of being restored to a much cooler original color. Guess some owner hated purple.
Old 12-01-2021 | 01:22 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Amethyst is my favorite color on a 968, sucks that there is one less example.
The following 2 users liked this post by Paul Waterloo:
dlearl476 (12-01-2021), Jay Wellwood (12-01-2021)
Old 12-01-2021 | 04:20 PM
DSMblue
Three Wheelin'

I know the owner of this car. He purchased it a few years back, and it had been repainted black by a prior owner. For a running daily driver example to be restored later, I think it would be a good candidate. As others have said, there is a lot of work that would be needed to restore back to original condition. Upholstery would have to be fully replaced, missing the hatch area cover, full paint (including engine removal for bay painting). In it's current condition, probably worth about 8K based on investment needed IMO.
Old 12-01-2021 | 04:25 PM
bobbyp
Rennlist Member

8k is stretching it considering what a good quality repaint alone will cost. The current paint looks nasty.
The following 2 users liked this post by bobbyp:
Jay Wellwood (12-01-2021), Ufnavy06 (12-02-2021)
Old 12-01-2021 | 05:46 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Fasten your seat belts, folks....

https://slo.craigslist.org/cto/d/san...413866547.html

Selling a 1984 Porsche 944 with the body of a 968. It drives amazingly well and has never given me any major mechanical issues. The handling is phenomenal and it is a reliable daily driver. It has the classic 2.5L Porsche 4 cylinder and an exceptionally smooth manual 5 speed transmission. The Targa style sun roof opens and closes electronically and can be removed entirely manually as well. It gets very good gas mileage as well, I would say somewhere in the upper 25-30 mpg range as I have driven to Santa Barbara and back while making some long detours and still had about a quarter tank when I got home. This is easily the most enjoyable car to drive that I have ever owned. Also recently had the AC serviced so it works very well, making it comfortable to drive any time of year. While it drives great and has no major mechanical issues, I'm selling it for the lower end of the common price spectrum for the following reasons.
Paint- Peeling in some areas as pictured, also since it has a custom made body kit the fiberglass parts have aged differently than the metal ones.
Rear spoiler- The stock Porsche black lip type spoiler is missing, and while this would be easy to replace I have not done so. Currently the car does not have a spoiler giving it a more casual appearance I will include a larger custom fiberglass and carbon fiber spoiler that was on the car when I purchased it.
Radio/Clock/ interior lights circuit- One of the interior electrical circuits has a dead short somewhere which is only impacting the interior lights and clock. Since the car did not have a radio when I got it I bypassed the circuit and made a little harness for it that plugs into the fuse box, so while the radio and brand new speakers work great they are not on the stock wiring although I can't imagine this would be difficult to resolve.
Interior plastic components: some little components and clips are missing that are not crucial for operation but could detract from the aesthetics of the vehicle, luckily they are widely available on eBay this just never bothered me enough to replace them
Odometer does not work, mileage is believed to be around 200,000 but since motor was rebuilt it is going very strong.

Asking $9,900 obo, text preferred method of contact.

Old 12-01-2021 | 05:46 PM
DSMblue
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by bobbyp
8k is stretching it considering what a good quality repaint alone will cost. The current paint looks nasty.
Wouldn't necessarily disagree, but manual coupes with desirable original factory colors are going up in value. Any investment like would be required would take a few (at least 3) years for the market value to catch up to the cost. Anyone thinking they could buy and flip soon for profit is sadly mistaken. That is true across pretty much any Porsche.
Old 12-01-2021 | 09:46 PM
jsheiry
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bobbyp
6 speed coupes are practically worth 10K in parts anymore (if they are mostly all there no matter what color). You dont see 6 speeds generally sell for less than 10K anymore. Cabs and or tiptronics another story. Show me the last sub 10K 6 speed coupe sale that actually drove down the road ?
The following users liked this post:
JimmyB (12-02-2021)
Old 12-01-2021 | 10:53 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Which is proof positive that this example is worth more dead than alive.

jsheiry (12-02-2021)
Old 12-02-2021 | 08:42 AM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Here is a nice looking 95 with 51K miles for $18,500. Too bad it's a tip.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/36364141517...IAAOSwFGRhp9IM

Old 12-02-2021 | 09:50 AM
JimmyB
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=944Fest (aka Dan P);17818876]Fasten your seat belts, folks....

<snip>

[QUOTE]

My eyes!

(I'd take that rear bumper though )

Last edited by JimmyB; 12-02-2021 at 11:11 AM.
Old 12-02-2021 | 10:44 AM
bobbyp
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jsheiry
6 speed coupes are practically worth 10K in parts anymore (if they are mostly all there no matter what color). You dont see 6 speeds generally sell for less than 10K anymore. Cabs and or tiptronics another story. Show me the last sub 10K 6 speed coupe sale that actually drove down the road ?

May be worth $10k in parts but that is after you put in thousands of dollars of your own labor as well as your efforts to sell all the bits and pieces, having a garage filled with parts and finally disposing of the odds and ends that you couldn't sell such as the worn out suspension. 99% of people don't have the time, ability, space or inclination to do that. If you personally find that something fun to do, go for it and make the $2k in "profit".
Looking at that super high mileage car (146k with an odometer that broke 6+ years ago) an average enthusiast buyer who would want to make the car "right", the $8k is incredibly expensive considering it would need a very high quality repaint to make sure the black never, never, never, ever peeks through (is there bondo under that crackly paint?) plus pulling and doing a complete refresh of the super high mileage engine/transmission. Who knows whatever else you'll find. So, after spending another $15k and a year making this car "right" you have a ~200k mile car for $23k that will have paint meter readings that are off the charts. But if you are the kind of person that enjoys doing that work to build their own with free labor and free storage it could be your kind of car.

Even if you can do the mechanical work of pulling the engine and transmission yourself, the paint job alone is going to cost $8k to $10k after you get yourself on the waiting list of a top quality shop.
Several 6 speed coupes have sold on BAT in the last year for between $18k and $25k with far fewer question marks that looked better, had service histories and are ready to drive.

At $8k this car will only appeal to the small subset of dreamers or people with their own shops with a lift and pro tools and pro abilities who love to work on cars. If someone in the first category buys it, we'll see it up for sale again in a year along with a box of removed but not replaced parts. Hopefully one of the people in the second category buys it and turns it into a masterpiece.
DSMblue (12-02-2021)
Old 12-03-2021 | 09:10 AM
jsheiry
Rennlist Member

Now I realize that after digesting the fact that this car was painted black and was originally Amethyst that its hard to read on, but if you do you would also see the following:

Its suspension is not worn out and probably has better suspension than most of the garage queens with its new Koni yellows up front, new control arms, bushings, M030 sway bars, and fresh alignment and Koni yellows in the rear. (not cheap to pay others to arrive to this point)

Its maintenance is not behind or sub-standard with recent 2020 belt change, motor mounts, balance shaft housing reseal, rack/pump repairs, etc.... All of which is needed on most of the garage queens presented on BAT with their 5-7K in deferred maintenance.

And further it has a new Billy Boat exhaust, Option code 220 LSD (yes early version Im aware)

So no, this is no "panty removing GT3 RS" but looks to be a road worthy driver, auto cross/DE car with "no apologies" better suspension and maintenance then 9 outa 10 of its detractors. Just sayin.

I also do not know this seller or have a dog in this race but hope The Black Coupe gets "Driven" and the owner gets rewarded with 11-12K for his efforts in keeping this car on the road.
JimmyB (12-03-2021)
Old 12-03-2021 | 12:38 PM
JimmyB
Rennlist Member

+1. If this had come up close to me when I was looking, I'd have considered it. There's a fun driver / project to be had here - and not having to worry about originality can be 'liberating' ...

Quick Reply: Craigslist, Ebay and other online Porsche 968 finds....