Door latch wont unlock

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 04:40 PM
designerguy90
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door latch wont unlock

Hello all!

My passenger side door latch threw me a curveball today, it decided it didnt want to unlock. Now this wouldnt be a huge issue, but my drivers side door trigger is broken, and I havent quite got around to fixing it yet :P I was so excited to get the car back from my mechanic today, I thought I would take it out for a drive. At some point along the drive I hit the lock button, and then when I reached work, I unlocked, got out, locked the car and realized I forgot a shirt in the car. I go to the passenger door, because I would have to, to get into the car anyways, and I realize its not unlocking. So I popped the hatch and climbed in the back and unlatched the door through the gap, which Im sure was funny to anyone watching.

So, long story short, does anyone have any thoughts as to why the trigger isnt working. It pop a little, and feels like its about to open, and then slips. The only thing ive changed on that side is I put a new gasket on the door handle, is it possible that the gasket pulled the handle to far out and is binding something inside the door?

Thanks

-Alex
Old 05-09-2015, 04:53 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Common problem, linage from trigger to mechanism is made out of plastic and it broke. Cheap and easy part to fix.
Old 05-09-2015, 05:42 PM
designerguy90
Track Day

If the door is closed is there a way to open/unlock it or will i have to pull the door card off with it locked?
Old 05-10-2015, 11:03 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by designerguy90
If the door is closed is there a way to open/unlock it or will i have to pull the door card off with it locked?
There are multiple mechanisms in play using plastics. Looks like most of your are broken. One mechanism controls the key lock, the other one central locking. Looks like both of yours are shot.
Old 05-10-2015, 02:11 PM
designerguy90
Track Day

More info, when I drove the car home last night, I noticed the central power lock button on the center console was still lit, it pushed it and it would not unlock, it would make a click in the doors, and wouldn't shut the light off and they would return to locked position, only on the passenger side though.

Any thoughts?

I am replacing the door trigger on the drivers side tonight or tomorrow, so hopefully I will have at least one door open-able.
Old 05-11-2015, 11:24 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by designerguy90
More info, when I drove the car home last night, I noticed the central power lock button on the center console was still lit, it pushed it and it would not unlock, it would make a click in the doors, and wouldn't shut the light off and they would return to locked position, only on the passenger side though.

Any thoughts?

I am replacing the door trigger on the drivers side tonight or tomorrow, so hopefully I will have at least one door open-able.
Plastic linkage between door trigger and lock mechanism is broken. Common failure point.
Old 05-12-2015, 02:20 AM
V996
Racer

It's possible it's not broken and just popped off. At least that was the case on my 924S.

Very much a PITA to deal with but not something that the average person couldn't handle.

I unlock my doors very slowly now lol.
Old 05-13-2015, 12:48 PM
designerguy90
Track Day

I will hopefully try to take of the door card in the next day or two and see what I can do.

Thank you guys for the input.
Old 05-13-2015, 01:45 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/968-foru...ock-issue.html

Read my thread for alignment issues too.

Quick Reply: Door latch wont unlock