968 Forum 1992-1995

Weird door lock issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 11:08 AM
touareg
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Weird door lock issue

So after replacing my outer door handle gaskets, everything worked hunky dory.

Buttoned it all back up and drove it for a week. Yesterday I hear a rattling in the passenger door, so after I get home I put the key in the passenger door, turn it, hear the driver's actuator work but passengers doesn't budge.

Think weird, try again and it works.

Fast forward to this AM, doesn't work at all, just unlock the drivers side. So leaned across and pulled the lock by hand.

I pull the panel off, find I had a screw on the anti-theft plate loose on the top and that is was was causing the rattle, no big deal, tighten that bad boy up and that is good. (Wonder if I should just remove it to prevent a future lock out if I want to slim jim it)

I articulated the armature by hand, then it started working and has been consistent again. Think I have a dead spot in the actuator motor? Only thing I can think of is to readjust the distance the arm moves to avoid the dead spot, wires look good. Not going to bother putting the door back together till I am sure it is fixed.

I hope this isn't a 400 dollar part... (EDIT: ECS Tuning has them for $91)

Anyone have an issue like this?
Old 07-11-2014, 01:02 PM
biosurfer1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

possibly the micro switch going bad or loose?
Old 07-11-2014, 01:28 PM
touareg
Drifting

Originally Posted by biosurfer1
possibly the micro switch going bad or loose?
That's what I thought at first, but consistently from the passengers side I can lock and unlock the driver's side, so it points to the actuator I guess.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:40 PM
touareg
Drifting

So it seems with the panel on, and during the lock cycle is when it will go down and then stop responding, no noise. I wonder if the central locking thinks it never locked, and then never tries to unlock. I will try adjusting the position of the actuator next.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:56 PM
touareg
Drifting

So spent some more time on the issue.

Disconnected the battery for 10min, no difference.

However now I can sit and cycle lock, unlock, lock, unlock about 10 or so times then both actuators don't move.

However interior light continues to turn on and off.

I take a break for 4 or 5 seconds, everything works again.

So after more searching (seems the 964 also uses the same) central locking module. It sounds like that may be starting to die (and if I constantly cycle it and heat it up, guess that makes sense with the relays)

Some have replaced it, others have repaired. http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ng-system.html

So question I have for the gurus is where the heck is this thing on the 968? 944 it is under the steering column, I look in pet and there is just a picture of it with a note see alarm group. So I am thinking it is actually in the alarm module next to the DME. I know the extra wire bundle there is for hooking up a keyless entry system (was there ever a factory keyless for the 968?)

Anyways, does anyone know if this module is in there?

Pic of the naked module:
Name:  IMG_20110525_211605_fronttrace1306418919.jpg
Views: 1344
Size:  29.3 KB

And from a 944:
Attachment 852500

Pic of what is in my car and is maybe it with the black smaller plug:
Name:  alarmsmall.jpg
Views: 1417
Size:  53.9 KB

Last edited by touareg; 01-02-2015 at 05:18 PM.
Old 07-12-2014, 03:31 PM
touareg
Drifting

Was able to dig out a copy of the 968 workshop manual, our cars do not use the old central locking, it is in the module next to the DME.

So I was able to rig up a 19 pin to OBD2 cable, and read codes with my durametric (forgot it could do that)

19Pin from the interwebs (not sure how accurate)

1. Airbag Gong Relay
2. Unused
3. Unused
4. Unused
5. OBC On/Off
6. Unused
7. L
8. K
9. Unused
10. Ground
11. Unused
12. Battery +VE
13. Ignition Power
14. Pin 6 of the DME, Rev Counter
15. Pin 22 of the DME, Check Engine Control On DME
16. Unused
17. Unused
18. Unused
19. Pin 21 of the DME, Knocking

Use on 19 to ODB2:
10 Ground to 4+5
13 Ignition Power to 16
7 L to pin 15 blue
8 K to pin 7 purple

This is what I get:
Name:  2014-07-12 13.31.19.jpg
Views: 1245
Size:  63.3 KB

All the others are pretty obvious what they mean, the only one not explanatory is 14 Position of the drive elements implausible.

Back to google I go! I am suspecting now that the actuator is not lined up perfect.

Pinouts for a cable if anyone is interested, this was for a 964/993 so I skipped the following wires 3,5 So I basically only did 4, 16, 1, 15 and 7 I might go back and do 5 since I had some intermittent issues (always did on the cayenne to with durametric):
Name:  post-4000-0-91283300-1288365056.jpg
Views: 2877
Size:  85.2 KB
Pinouts for a cable if anyone is interested, this was for a 964/993 so I skipped the following wires 3,5 So I basically only did 4, 16, 1, 15 and 7 I might go back and do 5 since I had some intermittent issues (always did on the cayenne to with durametric):
Old 07-12-2014, 05:39 PM
touareg
Drifting

So found out that the 14 error means:

This fault is also stored if , for example, the driver's door is open when the key is used to actuate the central lock system from the passenger's door.

I take this to mean it had trouble actuating the door lock, since in the drivers case you can't lock the door with it unlatched, and the lock won't move and trigger a failure.

I will pull the door apart again to check my adjustment of the actuator, my guess is it is a little off after I re-installed it, even though it seems to work ok, the system is having trouble recognizing it moved.

As for my other errors, does anyone know where the switches are for hatch and glove box? I know my alarm doesnt arm right now, but am curious to find those switches. The hood has a clip missing for the contact.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:36 AM
biosurfer1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry I can't be more help, but great post. It will help guys going forward a lot
Old 07-15-2014, 01:58 PM
touareg
Drifting

No worries, I found in the workshop manual with a special tool, they mentioned you disconnect the lock actuator and test if points on the central locking module (block II, line 10 and 12 I think) show that certain lines, are either in the "lock is open or closed".

Makes sense, since if the lock doesn't close (drivers door open) the lock cycles open again.

So I pulled the panel off again, 5th or time or so at this point, the connector to the actuator has more than 3 wires, 5 I think, so the other two must be to tell if the lock is in the open or closed position based on the position of the arm extension, it is a very analog system.

Anyways, I moved the actuator a few mm closer to the latch, which in theory means the plunger would have more room to retract deeper into the actuator along with not extending as far for unlock, and maybe allows the system to better recognize the door is locked vs unlocked position. I assume I was very close when I re-mounted (I marked with pen) but jostling of the motor moving moved it out of range just enough.

I did notice when driving a few times, that the central lock light would come on, even if the drivers door was unlocked.

So to get to the point, with the panel off seems to be good now.

Also the system seems to have a safety, if you cycle the lock 10 times or so open and closed, the system shuts down for 10 or so seconds, or I reset at the other lock. I assume this is to prevent a weird state with a caught actuator constantly cycling and draining your battery or something.

Name:  Screenshot 2014-07-15 14.17.07.png
Views: 1578
Size:  105.3 KB

Last edited by touareg; 07-15-2014 at 03:46 PM.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:55 AM
touareg
Drifting

Looks like that was the issue, have not bothered to pull codes, but lock has been working flawlessly ever since.

There must be some limits that are measured when the actuator is installed.
Old 03-08-2015, 06:53 AM
petergarrow
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wondering if anyone can help. I just bought my Cayenne S (2010) a few weeks ago. A day after I picked it up the central locking started playing up. When driving it the locks should activate when a certain speed is reached which is happening but then they continue to fire for up to 2 minutes afterwards. Then they will just fire at random periods through out the drive. The vehicle has now started also doing it while parked which is very annoying as it has now actually drained the battery. I had it back to the shop last week and they thought they had fixed the problem but if anything it has got worse. I wouldn't say the locking is specific to one door it seems to be all of them are engaging.

Can anyone help?

Cheers
Old 03-09-2015, 03:19 PM
touareg
Drifting

You should try the cayenne board, this is the 968 board.
Old 06-22-2016, 02:48 PM
touareg
Drifting

2 year update, not a single door lock issue!
Old 09-27-2020, 07:08 AM
Rolls912
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

My drivers door lock pin “sinks” after a short period.

Parts take a while to get here so I’m keen to buy the relevant stock before I get to work. Looks like my doors are virginal so I don’t want to open them up numerous times. Is there a go-to post on this forum that someone could recommend please?

thanks

Quick Reply: Weird door lock issue