968 Forum 1992-1995

968 clutch question

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 07:29 PM
chudson
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 73 Posts
Default 968 clutch question

On occasion members have posted displeasure with clutches sourced generically (not from Porsche). The complaint was always a lack of proper resistance when depressing the pedal after the new pressure plate was installed. And if I remember correctly, it was stated that even the correct (part number) Sachs clutch from Germany, if sourced generically, wouldn't supply the correct pedal feel and the assumption was that the P plate did not have the proper clamping pressure.

Can anyone confirm absolutely that this occurred to them?

I've got to replace one and my rep from the largest importer of import parts in the nation states emphatically that they are identical to what Sachs supplies Porsche. My other associates in the industry also state this and report no issues with the new Sachs clutches they've installed.

Thanx in advance

Oh, if anyone is parting a car or has removed an engine for a V8 swap and found a recently installed Porsche clutch, I'm a player.

Cliff

Last edited by chudson; 09-22-2014 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Looking for clutch
Old 09-22-2014, 07:33 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 144 Posts

I can tell you that my 968 clutch is very hard to push in as compared to my 951 clutch which is "normal". The 951 actually has a 930 pressure plate and clutch.

I always wondered why the 968 is so hard to push in. I get used to it, but have never felt a car with a clutch like it before.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:20 PM
chudson
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paul Waterloo
I can tell you that my 968 clutch is very hard to push in as compared to my 951 clutch which is "normal". The 951 actually has a 930 pressure plate and clutch.

I always wondered why the 968 is so hard to push in. I get used to it, but have never felt a car with a clutch like it before.
Paul

That is not typical. Your 968 pedal resistance should be nothing unusual and certainly very similar to a stock 951. It sounds like you have something going on and if not corrected you will soon be cracking a firewall. I suggest you look into that.

Cliff
Old 09-22-2014, 08:56 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 144 Posts

Interesting...I do have a firewall brace that I bought for the 968 that I have never installed....and the clutch makes some "squeaking" noise at the bottom of the travel.....wonder if that's the firewall flexing...time to look into it.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:06 PM
chudson
Rennlist Member

Interesting...I do have a firewall brace that I bought for the 968 that I have never installed....and the clutch makes some "squeaking" noise at the bottom of the travel.....wonder if that's the firewall flexing...time to look into it.
Getting off topic in my own thread, but where did you source your brace from?
Old 09-23-2014, 01:34 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Can't answer Cliff's question, but, was wondering if the 968 uses the same clutch disc as the 944/S/S2, paired with a stronger pressure plate?
Old 09-23-2014, 07:04 AM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

No, 968 uses larger disc. S2 uses same disc size as na
Old 09-23-2014, 08:45 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

A 968 clutch should be like butter, very soft. Something is not working right. It could be incorrect pressure plate, clutch slave cylinder, clutch hose or clutch master cylinder. I would start by bleeding the system and then look into the rest.

To add further, most Sachs units are sold with a 911 pressure plate, which has higher clamping force, but at the cost of higher pedal effort. To get the correct 968 pressure plate with correct color marking, you will have to source it from the dealer.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:01 PM
chudson
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
A 968 clutch should be like butter, very soft. Something is not working right. It could be incorrect pressure plate, clutch slave cylinder, clutch hose or clutch master cylinder. I would start by bleeding the system and then look into the rest.
Maybe Paul's car has an incorrect P Plate? Even the worst of hydraulic cylinders typically don't bind that badly. It could also be an issue where the release bearing slides on the sleeve. But worth looking - the firewall is at risk.....

[/QUOTE]To add further, most Sachs units are sold with a 911 pressure plate, which has higher clamping force, but at the cost of higher pedal effort. To get the correct 968 pressure plate with correct color marking, you will have to source it from the dealer.[/QUOTE]

And I'm told that the pic attached is it - I've also seen pics with other color markings, which I suppose are for different vehicles requiring different clamping pressures.

As best as I can surmise at this time, there may have once been a day when every model's pressure plate was a different production number by Sachs. Now perhaps Sachs is producing the same part # p plate, obviously in different countries, and simply color coding them to distinguish clamping pressure / application.

Again, all speculation but after a lot of research with my part suppliers and my P friends.

And obviously I didn't multi-quote correctly. Sorry. I'm much better with cars than with computers.......
Attached Images  
Old 09-25-2014, 02:19 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric_Oz_S2
No, 968 uses larger disc. S2 uses same disc size as na.
Eric, what diameter is the 968 disc?

Can a 968 run a 951 disc, or, is there some variance in the hub-to-friction surface offset between the two?
Old 09-25-2014, 02:36 AM
MB968
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Paul, when I bought my 968 the clutch took a lot of pressure to depress it. I later found two reasons. My car had pressure plate # 3082 213 132 installed, which has no stripe and was used in some 90s 3.6l turbo and GT2s with as much as 330kW (~450 hp). Don't know why anyone would have installed this in a stock 968?

The second reason that my clutch was difficult, and may have been as big an issue as the -132 PP, was a badly worn clutch fork shaft/needle bearings. As the needle bearings had stopped rolling and started skidding, they had worn depressions in the shaft at each roller location. So, for the fork to rotate, the bearings had to jump from one depression to the next. It is fairly easy to remove the shaft. And also easy to replace the needle bearings in the fork. I'd definitely look at these.
Old 09-25-2014, 03:02 AM
MB968
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cliff don't know if this will help, but the following is from my install of a clutch to replace the -132 PP mentioned above.

Though I know some swear by the green strip pressure plate -131 as the only true feel 968, I have the blue stripe 3082 213 133 pressure plate, and I'm quite happy with it. I personally don't believe that anyone can tell the difference in feel. The -133 has good distance off the floor, good length of engagement for easy control, etc. When I looked at the latest Sachs catalog back in 2012, it showed pressure plate 3082 213 133 as part of Porsche Repair Kit Part # 968-116-911-00. Apparently when Sachs quit producing the -131 part number, the -133 was offered as the replacement (-133 is a 986 Boxter part number as I recall). I think if you order that part number from Sachs you will get the correct part (with the blue stripe) or parts if you purchase the repair kit.

When I did my install, you could purchase the -131, not through Porsche, but one of the other common 944/968 parts suppliers who had worked out a deal with Sachs, or a sub to supply the original part. But, the cost was about twice the price of the -133. I frankly couldn't see paying the added cost just for the special order part. And, I'm happy with my decision.

Don't know about other off brand suppliers. I'd stay with Sachs, especially given the above options.
Old 09-25-2014, 09:03 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I would say, try my clutch pedal with the correct pressure plate. I am willing to wager dinner for two that my pedal effort is less than the 993 pressure plate by a significant margin. I went about changing not just the clutch, but also the needle and needle bearings. As mentioned, the bearings over time create grooves in the needle, causing inconsistent grab.

I am sharing my experience based on having had both. Hard to make the judgement unless you have compared clutches side by side on various vehicles.

At the end of the day, if additional effort does not bother someone and they rather save a few $$, go for it. A 993 pressure plate is still very livable.

Last edited by RajDatta; 09-25-2014 at 10:34 AM.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:11 AM
chudson
Rennlist Member

Thanks everyone, and I finally stumbled on the 2008 posting of this same subject where Raj had already outlined most of the info I was researching. Somehow I missed it in my initial search - sorry for cooking this goose again.

It appears that Sachs and AP may both be supplying clutches? The PP color marking in Raj's old post is drastically different, having just a small colored line (which appears to be a Sachs), when compared the pic I posted having a huge section colored (which may be an AP?). Anyway, my supplier has confirmed that his kit contains the 3000+ lb unit, which I believe is way more than any strong but stock 968 needs.
Old 09-25-2014, 11:42 AM
chudson
Rennlist Member

Default And in additioon....

For all reading Raj's comments let me +1 them. You've all seen how brake dust accumulates everywhere. The friction material for the disc is identical - as it wears it gets everywhere. There is no substitute for clean and properly lubricated slides, pivots, friction points and bearings - all of course in excellent condition with no wear. Unfortunately, keeping these items pristine requires clutch disassembly so periodic maintenance is out. So if you are clutching your car, heed Raj's advise.

And thanks to another very knowledgeable 968 friend, this info from our Porsche friends.....
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: 968 clutch question