968 Classic Status?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 08:48 PM
calguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 968 Classic Status?

Hey Guys!

Just curious. Was in the bookstore a few weekends ago and I couldn't help but notice that one of the aftermarket magazines (might of been Excellence or 911) had a buyer's guide for the 924, 944, and 968. The articles were pretty good but what was even more surprising was that the price of the 968 coupe and cabriolet had risen for last year 2011 from the previous years! Not sure if this is an anomale but are the 968s becoming classic in status? I'm speaking in demand and monetary terms, of course. In my mind the look of the 968 will always be timeless

Has anyone else found similar information?

Thanks,

Calguy
Old 05-03-2012, 09:03 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 121 Posts

The auction a few weeks ago sure supports that observation with the 968 Turbo RS bringing almost $350K.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:27 PM
calguy
Instructor

Wow, that's a lot of dough! Which auction was this?

Wouldn't it be something if our cars one day reaches 356 status?

-Calguy
Old 05-03-2012, 10:05 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by calguy
Wow, that's a lot of dough! Which auction was this?

Wouldn't it be something if our cars one day reaches 356 status?

-Calguy
Me too!

Here's a link to an article about the auction:

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...D=ahhyf0t81b7u
Old 05-04-2012, 08:35 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Porsche owners seem to generally like the cars and that can't hurt things.... long time 944 owners probably might be hoping to get one. 968 owners might desire to buy a second 968 (can't be a bad thing).... 911 owners usually don't know much about the cars (as most are exclusive to the 'water-cooled' era)... in a few cases the odd 911 owner might decide to obtain something of a semi-encyclopedic knowledge of all things 911 and may accidentally discover or even eventually, search out the 968 for a junior family member.... others might see one when visiting the track for the first time.... and gain some type of curiosity about getting one of these odd, late 944s for track duty, crash one,

and even get another...

....they're also the first update of the 944s to be manufactured at a real Porsche plant (one more reason perhaps for granting the car an entirely new name).

general public ?

no.

(please see post #79)

https://rennlist.com/forums/968-foru...e-968-a-6.html

options for 1995;

http://www.automobilemag.com/am/1995...s_options.html
Old 05-04-2012, 09:46 AM
Chubs_McFunn
Advanced

Od is right

From the conversations I've had with P-car people vs car people vs boring people, the general population knows nothing of our cars. Most people either don't even know my car is a Porsche or think it is a 928.

On the flip side, every 944 person I've talked to has thought about getting into a 968 at some point.

Bottom line, our cars are never going to be as valuable as a comparable M3 of the same year, because not enough people know our cars exist.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:57 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

or ever did !

therefore,

like Chubs, i suspect the absorption is originating from in house.

others might see one when visiting the track for the first time.... and gain some type of curiosity about getting one of these odd, late 944s for track duty,

crash one,

and get another...

i saw a gentleman at a Porsche repair shop in Massachusetts having 968 prepared for track duty. he was obviously quite wealthy - and drove up in an expensive 997 variant. we all sat down and had lunch together (Jerry, his two techs, this gentleman and myself).... at first i was excited to talk to a rich guy with a 911 about our 968s !!

unfortunately, it didn't take long to figure out that he was nearly completely uninterested in the 968, other than being an updated (somewhat sexier?) version of the 944..... a car he could bang up, fix up, bang up again, cut up, fix again and eventually destroy.... when i asked him about the car, he mentioned that Jerry had picked it up for him and it was fun to come by on his lunch break and check the progress.

then there are all the wrecked 968s that Gene posts up - and all that he doesn't catch... every year there are fewer and fewer decent cars with 6-speed manuals....

prices are likely reflecting a slow and steady absorption from inside the Porsche community... and few good examples have finally caused the 968 to reach something of a bottom. imo, there's probably not much in the way of any mysterious outside force from the public driving up prices.

Originally Posted by Chubs_McFunn

Most people either don't know my car is a Porsche or think it is a 928.
Attached Images  

Last edited by odurandina; 05-04-2012 at 10:42 AM.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:02 AM
mbardeen
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by odurandina
prices are likely reflecting a slow and steady absorption from inside the Porsche community... and few good examples have finally caused the 968 to reach something of a bottom. imo, there's probably not much in the way of any mysterious outside force from the public driving up prices.
That may be, but think about it this way: How many people in the "general public" would be interested in buying an early 911, 912, 914, 356B, or 928 GTS? While it might not reach "classic" status in the sense of a 1963 Corvette or 1964 1/2 Mustang, it might eventually become a collector car. Whether the collectors are from within the Porsche community or from outside isn't really relevant.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:32 AM
RL911
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Chubs_McFunn
Od is right

On the flip side, every 944 person I've talked to has thought about getting into a 968 at some point.
I think this is because most 944 people don't have the $$$ for the 968. You can get a 944 for $3k or a 968 for 10k, quite a difference.

I'm always surprised the cars don't rise in value given their rarity, but the other side of the equation is desirability. I don't think these cars will ever be worth much, at least not for another 20 years, and even then only the best specimens will have any kind of value. 4 cylinder 236 hp isn't all that attractive except to the rare enthusiast, might be better to go after a well sorted boxster.

I'm contemplating tearing mine up to make it a full time track car. With 138 on the clock, I'll never get more than $15k as well sorted as it is.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:42 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

the 968 is my all-time favorite kit car.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:14 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Anyone getting into a $10k 968 would not have funds to let it run right and will eventually destroy the car. This would then turn into a $6-7K car and then end up at a wrecker evetually. A set of belts and rollers at the dealer runs $2500. How many people that purchase a $10k car want to spend 25% of cost in maintenance that is required every 4 yrs (not to mention, other work besides belts).
Looking at a factory 968 turbo RS (1 of 4) is no way reflective of how the 968 is viewed. It's comparing apples and oranges. What does that car have in common with a standard 968? Just the body (that too a modified one). Someone who paid $$ for the 968 turbo RS bought it for it's racing pedigree and history. Stock 968's did not burn the place up with victories (ala E30 M3, which have reached cult status).
I keep my cars because they are both special to me. Besides a few outsiders, not many understand what they are.
Raj
Old 05-06-2012, 01:31 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 968TurboS

Looking at a factory 968 turbo RS (1 of 4) is no way reflective of how the 968 is viewed.

It's comparing apples and oranges. What does that car have in common with a standard 968?
bingo^

Originally Posted by odurandina

Originally Posted by mbardeen

That may be, but....

whether the collectors are from within the Porsche community or from outside isn't really relevant.

i think it's very relevant.

until the general public gets a chance to see a well-sorted resto mod 968 Turbo S at a Barrett-Jackson or Mechum auto auction, or our regular used cars get discovered by the public when Road and Track, Car and Driver or Autoweek do a big collector car issue, we're going to be having the "what if they become a collector car" discussion every few months from here to eternity without ever seeing anything happen.

people buy the cars for fun, for track use, and resto-mods...
and in my case, lusting unappologetically for a 968 body/kit tub to screw up royal.

all 993's are collector cars. the 1997 993 Turbo S is the rarest and most valuable water-cooled 911s after the 959...

wiki;

"During the second to the last year of production of the 993 (1997), Porsche offered the 993 Turbo S. Ultimately 183 cars were sold. The Turbo S had a power upgrade to 424 hp (SAE) for the American market and to 450 hp (DIN) in other markets. The inclusion of extras including full leather/carbon fiber interior makes it different from the earlier lightweight, 911s. The 993 Turbo S is recognized by yellow brake calipers, a slightly larger rear wing, a 4-pipe exhaust and air scoops behind the doors. This was the last of the air-cooled Turbos...."

here's one of the Turbo S' formerly owned by Jerry Seinfeld;

Attached Images    

Last edited by odurandina; 05-06-2012 at 02:12 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:52 PM
Lord_Galva
Burning Brakes

I wonder what would have happened if 'Jerry' fell in love with the 968 and not the boxter?
Old 05-06-2012, 06:18 PM
mbardeen
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

I've got a one of one for all practical purposes. Chile prohibits import of used cars (anything over 100 miles). There are 3 968s in the country that I know of, and mine's the only cab. So I'm reasonably certain mine's worth holding on to, and one of the reasons I chose this particular car over other possibilities (911s, 951s or 928s).

It's also my first Porsche.

Quick Reply: 968 Classic Status?