Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

what did you do with your 968 today.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 01:07 AM
dfheezy
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

and the Cg increases!
Old 05-01-2019, 01:17 AM
dfheezy
Intermediate

Better picture below...

Last edited by dfheezy; 05-03-2019 at 12:54 PM.
Old 05-03-2019, 12:52 PM
dfheezy
Intermediate

Default balance belt tension

Balance shaft is fairly slack...

Did the previous owner turn the tensioner the wrong way or is the idler incorrect position?
Old 05-03-2019, 02:25 PM
H.F.B.
Pro

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

That's wrong. See below at the tensioner and do it right.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:32 PM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

I tried to replace crumbling door handle seals on my driver's side door.
Not wanting to cut the thin section, and trying to do it correctly, I failed when a plastic clippy thing attached to the rear of the door handle fell off and inside the door... somewhere...
Old 05-07-2019, 10:36 PM
Yogii
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfeMacleod
I tried to replace crumbling door handle seals on my driver's side door.
Not wanting to cut the thin section, and trying to do it correctly, I failed when a plastic clippy thing attached to the rear of the door handle fell off and inside the door... somewhere...

Photos please? My driver's side rubber seals are cracked too. Passenger side is fine.
I understand that a "short-cut" is to slice the bottom of the seal and slide it in. I'm probably going to ask a body shop to do it for me.

-Yogii

aka 968 Novice
Old 05-07-2019, 10:53 PM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Originally Posted by Yogii
Photos please? My driver's side rubber seals are cracked too. Passenger side is fine.
I understand that a "short-cut" is to slice the bottom of the seal and slide it in. I'm probably going to ask a body shop to do it for me.

-Yogii

aka 968 Novice
Yea, I didn't want to do the slicing thing.
This may help.
https://cardiagn.com/doors-porsche-968/

https://cardiagn.com/porsche-968-wor...ir-manual-pdf/

I wasn't able to pull the handle far enough out to unclip it properly. Not nearly as much as they show in the illustration.
Old 05-07-2019, 11:00 PM
az968gpw
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 132 Posts

I replace mine by cutting away the old ones, cutting the bottom of the seal and sliding them into place. Attached are before and after pics, The gap below the handle is imperceptible..Simple to DIY.

before

before

after

after
Old 05-08-2019, 01:10 AM
dfheezy
Intermediate

If you don't want to make the slit... the central locking switch needs to be disconnected, which is not in the workshop manual... maybe that was standard, but the switch on the door handle, is connected by the white insulated wire, which is disconnected from the lock body by a screw, followed by another snap-fit... you need to do that. Then you'll have a better chance of wiggling the door handle out of the hole without breaking the die-cast lever for another $35. That lever operates the door opening action, and is connected by a steel ball in a plastic receiver. I think there's actually two of those as one is used as a guide or something. I used at steel ruler and a screwdriver to re-make the snap connection - it felt like surgery with possible hand cramping until somebody handed me a scalpel! Good luck!
Old 05-08-2019, 02:19 AM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Originally Posted by dfheezy
If you don't want to make the slit... the central locking switch needs to be disconnected, which is not in the workshop manual... maybe that was standard, but the switch on the door handle, is connected by the white insulated wire, which is disconnected from the lock body by a screw, followed by another snap-fit... you need to do that. Then you'll have a better chance of wiggling the door handle out of the hole without breaking the die-cast lever for another $35. That lever operates the door opening action, and is connected by a steel ball in a plastic receiver. I think there's actually two of those as one is used as a guide or something. I used at steel ruler and a screwdriver to re-make the snap connection - it felt like surgery with possible hand cramping until somebody handed me a scalpel! Good luck!
Yep, I already figured that part out reading the manual I listed above. It does say to remove the micro-switch.
I assume the snap-fit you speak of is the little plastic doohickey in #4 below, that fell inside where I can't retrieve it, when I gently pried it with a screwdriver. So I removed the door panel thinking it had fallen all the way down, only to find... nothing! I don't think this was the door opening actuator, as the door still opens...
There is, however, a large black panel that I can't see the handle behind...

Being that a poor seal could let water intrude, I really want to do this correctly.

Old 05-08-2019, 09:09 AM
dfheezy
Intermediate

The second snap fit is for the lever that I broke: 944-537-261-02. I think it needs to be removed in illustration #5, but with terrible detail.
Old 05-08-2019, 03:01 PM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Originally Posted by dfheezy
The second snap fit is for the lever that I broke: 944-537-261-02. I think it needs to be removed in illustration #5, but with terrible detail.
Geeze, you're telling me. For the life of me, I cannot locate the bottom end of the "deflection lever" to unclip it.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:18 AM
jsheiry
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

I put in a new Porsche hatch seal. Best $100 spent so far. Completely silenced the rear squeakyness of the hatch over bumps etc.... and now the hatch release works like clockwork for my wife. No more pulling on the spoiler to get it open. Should have done this a year ago. The real Porsche seal was not that much more than the knock offs and Im very happy. Now I need to activate the little button on the keyless entry system I installed for the hatch (it has lock, unlock, and a trunk or hatch button). This needed an external relay but now that the hatch pops open this would be the icing on the new operation.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:26 PM
az968gpw
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 132 Posts

John, I have a write up and lots of photos on connecting the trunk release to the keyless remote. I'll try to post later today. Which brand of remote to you have? Major challenge is running a control wire and a power wire from the front into the trunk. I mounted all my relays/fuses below the spare so it's not visible and it's protected.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:00 PM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

I rounded over part of the alternator adjustment turnbuckle and failed to loosen the locking nuts, despite being aware of reverse-handed threads on one end and 24 hours of multiple shots of PB blaster, Kroil, etc.

Oh, and I finally got the door handle gaskets replaced. The easy way. Without disconnecting or cutting.

Quick Reply: what did you do with your 968 today.....