Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

what did you do with your 968 today.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2020, 05:54 PM
ste1999
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Z3M&968
I had to let my little compressor recharge several times. My bigger compressor is in the basement wood shop and I didn't feel like dragging it up. I got it done eventually...
One day my bigger compressor will be restored and working!
Old 02-01-2020, 02:16 PM
ste1999
Instructor

Finished up my 968 cam timing setting, seems good.
Then learned you can’t fit a 968 balance belt with the alternator drive pulley in place.
Will be getting quicker at locking up this engine and spinning out the crank pulley bolt by the time we finish.

Steve
Old 02-06-2020, 04:14 PM
ste1999
Instructor

First go with the ArnnWorx tension tool today installing my balance belt. Seems straightforwards, great instructions supplied.

968 balance belt tension being measured using ArnnWorx tool
The following 2 users liked this post by ste1999:
J1NX3D (02-06-2020), Z3M&968 (02-06-2020)
Old 02-07-2020, 02:05 AM
scenturion
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ste1999
First go with the ArnnWorx tension tool today installing my balance belt. Seems straightforwards, great instructions supplied.

968 balance belt tension being measured using ArnnWorx tool
Same for me!

It looks like my balance belt idler is not wearing evenly/well. This picture shows about 6 miles since install. Do I need to make it deflect the belt a bit more?

Old 02-07-2020, 03:45 AM
ste1999
Instructor

Originally Posted by scenturion
Same for me!

It looks like my balance belt idler is not wearing evenly/well. This picture shows about 6 miles since install. Do I need to make it deflect the belt a bit more?
Hi, not a clue here if that is normal or not. Never installed a balance belt/rollers before myself. I suppose it’s possible the pattern is normal if the belt moves a little more on the outer side, or if the roller doesn’t sit exactly parallel to the belt which is possible as the mount isn’t exactly a precision arrangement. I guess if it was mine I’d sense check the belt tension by manual twisting and also double check the balance roller position settings,

Steve
Old 02-07-2020, 07:37 PM
scenturion
Intermediate

It's not normal. I put the tensioner in the wrong orientation. It should be down and out instead of up and out. The idler doesn't fit right in this configuration and the lower balance shaft sprocket is skipping teeth! Will have to go back in and fix it, but pretty easy to get in there now that I know how it's done.

Old 02-07-2020, 10:58 PM
Z3M&968
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

It's not normal. I put the tensioner in the wrong orientation. It should be down and out instead of up and out. The idler doesn't fit right in this configuration and the lower balance shaft sprocket is skipping teeth! Will have to go back in and fix it, but pretty easy to get in there now that I know how it's done.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but this is not correct - "It should be down and out instead of up and out." See below. I put mine on as shown and it works well. My idler barely touches the belt if at all on top and has .02" gap at the bottom. I tensioned by feel and it doesn't whine or skip teeth.

Old 02-07-2020, 11:09 PM
scenturion
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Z3M&968
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but this is not correct - "It should be down and out instead of up and out." See below. I put mine on as shown and it works well. My idler barely touches the belt if at all on top and has .02" gap at the bottom. I tensioned by feel and it doesn't whine or skip teeth.

This diagram shows "down and in", which should work even better. I'll give that a try.
Old 02-08-2020, 02:07 AM
ste1999
Instructor

This diagram shows "down and in", which should work even better. I'll give that a try.
Interesting information. I will recheck how mine is set up in the light of this discussion!

Steve
Old 02-14-2020, 03:45 PM
kingroon
Racer

Received 201 Likes on 99 Posts

Swapped out my rather aged Wiper Delete Bung..

Before..

After..

Damn, I was wondering where I had dropped that Pencil..!
Old 02-14-2020, 03:59 PM
Yogii
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by kingroon
Swapped out my rather aged Wiper Delete Bung..

Before..

After..

Damn, I was wondering where I had dropped that Pencil..!

Looks smart!

While we are talking about wipers, my intermittant switch does not work. I heard this is common. When I found a replacement, not easy, I ordered 2. Does the whole dash need to come off to replace? Only from the backside?
Mine is 1/4 pushed into the dash...

-Yogii
AKA 968 Novice
Old 02-17-2020, 03:59 PM
ste1999
Instructor

Put a brand new distributor rotor arm back onto my 968. I took the original off a year ago. I forgot that there are three thick spacers that go under the rotor attachment bolts. Crack. 28 ukp wasted on the new plastic part. Do not do this people.

Steve
Old 02-17-2020, 07:58 PM
Karrera Coupe
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

While we are talking about wipers, my intermittant switch does not work. I heard this is common. When I found a replacement, not easy, I ordered 2. Does the whole dash need to come off to replace? Only from the backside?
Mine is 1/4 pushed into the dash..
Yogii this past weekend I was replacing some light bulbs in my instrumentation cluster. Since it is close to the instrumentation cluster you may be able to access the intermittent wiper wheel switch from behind via t he instrumentation cluster opening. Unfortunately I did not try to do so so I am only guessing here. But you will likely have to remove the steering wheel and the instrumentation cluster first if you end up having to remove the whole dash.

I changed the three illumination bulbs to LEDs and then discovered that the bulbs for the attention "!" and the one for the "head lights on brights" message, were missing al together. They are now all complete and working except that it looks as if one of the three illumination bulbs may have stopped working when I reinstalled the instrumentation cluster. Luckily I can see all the instruments at night now except perhaps the one on the extreme right of the instrumentation cluster. So big enough improvement not to go back in immediately.
Now I am going to try to replace the recently ripped CV Joint boot under the exhaust muffler. Every wrenching job is a first for me, so it takes quite a bit of time and sweat!

Old 02-18-2020, 03:34 PM
Yogii
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Karrera Coupe
Yogii this past weekend I was replacing some light bulbs in my instrumentation cluster. Since it is close to the instrumentation cluster you may be able to access the intermittent wiper wheel switch from behind via t he instrumentation cluster opening. Unfortunately I did not try to do so so I am only guessing here. But you will likely have to remove the steering wheel and the instrumentation cluster first if you end up having to remove the whole dash.

I changed the three illumination bulbs to LEDs and then discovered that the bulbs for the attention "!" and the one for the "head lights on brights" message, were missing al together. They are now all complete and working except that it looks as if one of the three illumination bulbs may have stopped working when I reinstalled the instrumentation cluster. Luckily I can see all the instruments at night now except perhaps the one on the extreme right of the instrumentation cluster. So big enough improvement not to go back in immediately.
Now I am going to try to replace the recently ripped CV Joint boot under the exhaust muffler. Every wrenching job is a first for me, so it takes quite a bit of time and sweat!
Thanks,

Good luck with the CV joint boot. I assume you have a lift?

-Yogii
AKA 968 Novice
Old 02-18-2020, 07:21 PM
Karrera Coupe
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I assume you have a lift?
I wish I had one. Instead I am on my back under the car propped up by jack stands. I am thinking of getting a four post lift to improve indoor parking and help me with the wrenching.

Quick Reply: what did you do with your 968 today.....