Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

what did you do with your 968 today.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 12:00 AM
FLT951
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do I get to see that 201er at lunch?
Old 08-11-2017, 03:51 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

way to go Spanky. you should have years of good service ahead.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:21 PM
hb253
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Replaced the hood struts and the glove box light. Two minor things that were bothering me. Next up will be the hatch lock microswitch.

Hugo
Old 08-14-2017, 10:05 AM
jsheiry
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 136 Posts

Stuffed the engine back into my wifes car. She helped me on the two people stuff like lower the engine while I bark out obscenities(dont know how she tolerates me in a garage). Hope to get a few hours each evening this week to hook stuff up so we can do a first start this weekend sometime. Been sidetracked way too long reviving the Lagoon car, have forgotten all stop points on her car and what seals gaskets I have vs what I may need. Replacing all the hoses as the car has 140K and I bought her with the blown head/bad timing belt. Car seemed to have an extreme lean condition on number 3 which must have helped to melt her down. Had all the injectors cleaned at Witchhunter and will watch this closely on the plugs when I get running.
Attached Images  
Old 08-14-2017, 07:14 PM
Boeing 717

Received 263 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by jsheiry
Stuffed the engine back into my wifes car. She helped me on the two people stuff like lower the engine while I bark out obscenities(dont know how she tolerates me in a garage). Hope to get a few hours each evening this week to hook stuff up so we can do a first start this weekend sometime. Been sidetracked way too long reviving the Lagoon car, have forgotten all stop points on her car and what seals gaskets I have vs what I may need. Replacing all the hoses as the car has 140K and I bought her with the blown head/bad timing belt. Car seemed to have an extreme lean condition on number 3 which must have helped to melt her down. Had all the injectors cleaned at Witchhunter and will watch this closely on the plugs when I get running.
That's cool man. Keep the updates coming.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:44 PM
Chuck Z
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 25 Posts

Installed rear seat backs and carpet under storage compartment...
Attached Images   
Old 08-16-2017, 06:38 PM
Chuck Z
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 25 Posts

Lots accomplished over the last few days....

I replaced the carpet on the storage compartment and left the silly bar off.
Attached Images   
Old 08-16-2017, 08:05 PM
Boeing 717

Originally Posted by Chuck Z
Lots accomplished over the last few days....

I replaced the carpet on the storage compartment and left the silly bar off.
Good job!! Keep em coming.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:55 AM
LM964
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 71 Posts

Last weekend the CS had a thorough whole day test drive and investigation by Chris at Centre Gravity UK for a complete geo checkup and renewal.

Previous ownership installed M030 option front and rear anti-roll (sway) bars. Also M030 castor mounts.

After inspection and discussion on options, I've decided to go for M030 adjustable Konis along with Superpro bushings. Koni's will be dialled down for normal road/sprint use. Full-on M030 track settings would drive me nuts and be uncomfortable for 85% of my normal use.

Avoiding all the KW/Bilstein add-ons' - I want to return the set up as factory CS-intended using the same parts plus M030 compliant for road/sprint use. I can always dial up the dampers for the track days if needed.

Excited in anticipation...
Old 08-17-2017, 08:09 AM
Boeing 717

Originally Posted by LM964
Last weekend the CS had a thorough whole day test drive and investigation by Chris at Centre Gravity UK for a complete geo checkup and renewal.

Previous ownership installed M030 option front and rear anti-roll (sway) bars. Also M030 castor mounts.

After inspection and discussion on options, I've decided to go for M030 adjustable Konis along with Superpro bushings. Koni's will be dialled down for normal road/sprint use. Full-on M030 track settings would drive me nuts and be uncomfortable for 85% of my normal use.

Avoiding all the KW/Bilstein add-ons' - I want to return the set up as factory CS-intended using the same parts plus M030 compliant for road/sprint use. I can always dial up the dampers for the track days if needed.

Excited in anticipation...
That is exciting. Do you know if the konis are the same as they were when installed back in the day or if they've been modernized (improved)?
Old 08-17-2017, 08:49 AM
LM964
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Boeing 717
Do you know if the konis are the same as they were when installed back in the day or if they've been modernized (improved)?
I asked the very same question beforehand. I know that ex-Richard Attwood's race 944 is still competitively tracked with adjustable Koni's on the rear. Yes, Koni still manufactured to original spec but naturally improved though better material/machining processes since then.

Original CS came with Sachs. The M030 option being adjustable sport Konis for the front, fixed for the rear.

For the front I believe that original Porsche Koni's are no longer available. However, you can get new original adjustable Koni sport inserts for the Sachs fittings. Apparently very good and as OEM (supposedly the Sachs and Koni tubes are identical - potentially share the same Porsche part ID). That's what I've gone for.

Rear adjustable Konis are £500+ each which is crazy unless for competitiive track use all day. I've gone for OEM fixed Konis as original. Again, still a top performaing damper.

For me the appeal was to arrive at a fully spec'd CS damper and geo set up as if new when built. Original M030 optional suspension upgrades as was (ignoring brake caliper/rotors), but having the option to 'dial down' the heavy track use intention, would be ideal. I can then always dial up to full-on M030 hardness any time later.

One of the suggestions was that the 30mm M030 front sway bar on the car now might still be a bit too much for normal driving (mild tramlining potential and no front 'give'). I'll see how this goes and if I need to I will replace myself with the standard 26.8mm bar instead.
Old 08-17-2017, 11:34 AM
Boeing 717

I asked the very same question beforehand. I know that ex-Richard Attwood's race 944 is still competitively tracked with adjustable Koni's on the rear. Yes, Koni still manufactured to original spec but naturally improved though better material/machining processes since then.

Original CS came with Sachs. The M030 option being adjustable sport Konis for the front, fixed for the rear.

For the front I believe that original Porsche Koni's are no longer available. However, you can get new original adjustable Koni sport inserts for the Sachs fittings. Apparently very good and as OEM (supposedly the Sachs and Koni tubes are identical - potentially share the same Porsche part ID). That's what I've gone for.

Rear adjustable Konis are £500+ each which is crazy unless for competitiive track use all day. I've gone for OEM fixed Konis as original. Again, still a top performaing damper.

For me the appeal was to arrive at a fully spec'd CS damper and geo set up as if new when built. Original M030 optional suspension upgrades as was (ignoring brake caliper/rotors), but having the option to 'dial down' the heavy track use intention, would be ideal. I can then always dial up to full-on M030 hardness any time later.

One of the suggestions was that the 30mm M030 front sway bar on the car now might still be a bit too much for normal driving (mild tramlining potential and no front 'give'). I'll see how this goes and if I need to I will replace myself with the standard 26.8mm bar instead.
Keep me posted if you don't mind because I will be doing full suspension overhaul in not too distant future.
Old 08-17-2017, 02:58 PM
LM964
Rennlist Member

Keep me posted if you don't mind because I will be doing full suspension overhaul in not too distant future.
Sure Jerry. What sort of set up are you leaning towards?
Old 08-17-2017, 03:52 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 121 Posts

Good job!! Keep em coming.
Looking great Chuck. How did you find such a great match for the magenta carpet?
Old 08-17-2017, 06:00 PM
Boeing 717

Sure Jerry. What sort of set up are you leaning towards?
Well I haven't done a ton of research because I'm trying to sort other stuff right now but I just want a good sport street setup and figured Porsche probably did the best with M030 but I have often wondered if there is anything better with the newer tech.

Quick Reply: what did you do with your 968 today.....