968 Supercharger Kit Development

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 01:36 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Carl,
You're right in that the centrifugal unit will make for a much simpler install and doesn't require a new intake like the positive displacement units. Sorry, when I said roots I meant any positive displacement unit in general.

Maybe I'm an idealist but I would have really liked to see a new intake (smaller plenum, geez!) and a twin screw or lysholm for instant gratification. I understand all the stuff about adiabatic efficiency and heat, and I look to intercoolers to solve that problem. I also understand that many prospective customers would not like to deal with ICs. I guess you need to cater to everyone not just people like me, and it's not like stage 1 kit can have one blower and stage 3 have a different one.

Maybe I'm just too comfortable with my wrench, but for me changing an intake and adding a FMIC is something to kill time between lunch and dinner. And I think the stock injectors could handle it but don't cite me on that one! But I definitely see where you're coming from.

At any rate I trust your judgement and have faith in your ability to make a kit we'll all want.

Mike, that sounds like a great idea. You are a generous soul! If I am to possibly get a free kit I think it's only fair I go and buy a couple lotto tickets too and make the same offer!
Old 03-12-2009, 02:46 AM
Fox944
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

stock injectors arnt going to handle much boost.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:27 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Not even 6psi?
Old 03-12-2009, 08:53 AM
TF
Instructor

I hope your SC will work on a 968 installed in an S2, not sure my highly moded engine need more power but I am very interested if it is affordable.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:55 AM
Fox944
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
Not even 6psi?
the stock injectors arnt far off their max. I think just about every SC kit out there uses diff injectors.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:23 AM
Carl Fausett
Developer

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Thanks for the info, Fox944. Good to know. The stock injectors are 19 lb (I think), I may have to include an upgrade set of 24 lb injectors in each kit. That does not scare me off. No problem.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:19 PM
lsinlv
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Carl Fausett
Thanks for the info, Fox944. Good to know. The stock injectors are 19 lb (I think), I may have to include an upgrade set of 24 lb injectors in each kit. That does not scare me off. No problem.
Carl's correct, as the need for bigger injectors should be easily managed with a change in the FPR to allow the injector cycle to provide the correct fuel to support safe AFR's.

I hope we don't need them, but this shouldn't be too large of a hurdle.

I would assume that the injectors shouldn't be too large of an additional cost?? are we stuck with specific expensive BOSCH only, or might their be Siemmens or ND's that will fit?
Old 03-12-2009, 12:39 PM
Carl Fausett
Developer

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

The Siemens and the Denso injectors have the wrong pintel.

However, you are not "stuck" with the Bosch injectors - what's got you "stuck" is that you must use high-impedance injectors to match the on-board computer. I can get this done in brands other than Bosch and keep costs down.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:26 PM
lsinlv
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Darth Coupe
It will not eat the fuel system components at all. If they did, my car would have leaked out the gas tank and caught fire a long time ago. If you are running methonal then I would agree. E85 is nothing more than cheap race gas for me as long as you have injectors
based on the "E85 Website" if you car is NOT on the list (no Prosche), it's NOT a FFV vehicle, and should not use E85.

http://www.e85fuel.com/e85101/flexfuelvehicles.php

Last edited by lsinlv; 03-12-2009 at 03:23 PM.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:32 AM
richard glickel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Carl Fausett
The Siemens and the Denso injectors have the wrong pintel.

However, you are not "stuck" with the Bosch injectors - what's got you "stuck" is that you must use high-impedance injectors to match the on-board computer. I can get this done in brands other than Bosch and keep costs down.
Carl,

Sounds like you've got this pretty much figured out.

Good luck with R&D.

R.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:46 PM
Darth Coupe
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lsinlv
based on the "E85 Website" if you car is NOT on the list (no Prosche), it's NOT a FFV vehicle, and should not use E85.

http://www.e85fuel.com/e85101/flexfuelvehicles.php
Larry, that site is to list all of the "flex fuel vehicles", the new ones and such that are designed to run both fuels. That is all it says, nothing more nothing less. It is like the new Chevy's with the FlexFuel badge on the back. They have the sensor in the tank to switch fuel maps when E85 is in there.

I would agree that a completely stock car should not run E85 in the tank. In order to for our cars to run E85, you have to add 30% more fuel in the form of larger injectors and either AFPR or a piggy back to change the fuel map. Other than that, E85 will run and do fine in our cars. I have done this and it runs perfectly with my stock fuel lines and tank from 1994. I have not changed anything else and I have track miles on it. There are 944's and 928's running on it. Then there are other makes of older cars that are tuned to run on it, no one has had their fuel lines disolve and leak. There is more information out there for running on it, but again I do not want to throw this thread into an E85 thread. The SC project is just too cool and important. Your $.02 is you don't want it in your car and that is fine. I would agree if it isn't tuned for it as your AFR would be off and you would be running lean.

I can't wait to see what you come up with Carl. I would be interested in what you find for injectors that would be a lower price. I am all for that. I am also looking for a better piggy back system that would not cost as much and would be easy to switch fuel maps on, not sure if that will be part of your kit as well.
Old 03-15-2009, 05:01 PM
H2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

What Carl learned on 928s he can move pretty quickly to the 968 supercharger. I was just reading about in Excellence about the 968 Turbo retrofit and visualizing the complex work that went into that build. If Carl can pull off a 968 supercharger bolt-on (mostly), I hope to be in line to buy. I'm not interested in so much horsepower that it would shorten engine life or reliability. The 968 is pretty good as is, but with another 75-100 HP it would be about perfect for me.

H2
Old 03-15-2009, 07:27 PM
richard glickel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Out of curiosity, how do superchargers fair in race car applications?

R.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:44 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by richard glickel
Out of curiosity, how do superchargers fair in race car applications?

R.
+1. Add to that the heat of the SE races in summer.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:56 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemming
+1. Add to that the heat of the SE races in summer.
+3 - Interested minds want to know!

Quick Reply: 968 Supercharger Kit Development