Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Long is 'Keeping the Car for a Long Time'?

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 02:07 PM
sslow
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How Long is 'Keeping the Car for a Long Time'?

I originally planned to keep my C4S for around 7-8 years, thinking that would be quite a long time. However, I ended up trading it in earlier this year after less than 4 years and switched to a different 992 model.

So, I'm curious: when people say "I plan to keep the car for a long time," what do they typically mean? Is "long time" usually four to five years, seven years, or even 10+ years?

Popular Reply

Yesterday, 02:54 PM
Nein Eleven
Racer

Received 350 Likes on 187 Posts

Planning on 10+ years and potentially 20+ years because I want to be the old guy who bought his 911 new and continues to drive it when it’s old enough to drink and it has six digits on the odometer. It’s only a base buts it’s already too fast for the street and a better car that I am a driver so I definitely won’t need something faster/better down the road. Furthermore, I would hate to think about how much I would pay in sales tax if I were trading in and out of cars every two years.
Old Yesterday, 02:14 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,146 Likes on 611 Posts

The shortest I’ve ever owned a car is five days. I bought a Subaru WRX on a Sunday and sold it on a Friday.
I lost eight grand in five days.
Longest I kept a car was a 2004 R32, was my daily driver for eight years.
The last GT four I had I kept for five years.
first 992S one year.
My Gt3 touring I’ve had for 2 1/2 years.
My GTS I’ve had for eight months.
as they say “time will tell “
The following 3 users liked this post by 4carl:
alaris (Yesterday), Icegrill (Yesterday), UncleDude (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 02:37 PM
yellolab
Instructor

Received 88 Likes on 45 Posts

I has a 2022 Base Boxster for 2 years.
Got a 2023 GTS Boxster for 1.5 years, just sold it as I rec'vd an allocation for a 911.
Old Yesterday, 02:41 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,127 Likes on 3,003 Posts

Many first time 911 buyers make declarations that they’re going to hold onto the car for a long time, but few actually hold onto them very long for various reasons. Some of those reasons in no particular order…
​​
  • New car buying buzz fades very quickly
  • Not driving it often enough, because they’re worried about miles or something happening to the car
  • Trim/Spec envy and the desire to upgrade and/or correct mistakes with the last order (color, options, etc)
  • Realization that 911 ownership is expensive and the personal ROI isn’t there for them
  • General fears around depreciation, especially with pandemic buyers and people who paid ADM (SPOILER: you’re never getting that ADM back)
  • Growing family and the realization that the do it all sports car actually can’t do it all
  • Change in financial situation and/or goals, ie wanting to buy a house
  • …various other reasons
The following 2 users liked this post by detansinn:
GTS2022 (Yesterday), notcarbonated (Today)
Old Yesterday, 02:54 PM
Nein Eleven
Racer

Received 350 Likes on 187 Posts

Planning on 10+ years and potentially 20+ years because I want to be the old guy who bought his 911 new and continues to drive it when it’s old enough to drink and it has six digits on the odometer. It’s only a base buts it’s already too fast for the street and a better car that I am a driver so I definitely won’t need something faster/better down the road. Furthermore, I would hate to think about how much I would pay in sales tax if I were trading in and out of cars every two years.
The following 13 users liked this post by Nein Eleven:
1BTD (Yesterday), 996c (Yesterday), alaris (Yesterday), Biohazard (Yesterday), celestequattro (Yesterday), Guaji (Today), incoming992s (Yesterday), jmrichards (Yesterday), jtsrenn (Yesterday), Kevin_ (Yesterday), Master Deep (Yesterday), shuz (Yesterday), Zoomnbyu (Yesterday) and 8 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old Yesterday, 02:56 PM
Zoomnbyu
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Nein Eleven
This is why we need the ability to give multiple likes.
Old Yesterday, 03:03 PM
Crusje
Racer

Received 234 Likes on 123 Posts

Yep. I would hate paying 5 figures sales tax and every couple years since I don't have a Montana business. I already pay more than my car in property taxes a year.
I'm also planning 10+ years. I had my mom's old 2002 Corolla until 2021 so I don't have the upgrade bug every other year like some people.
Old Yesterday, 03:14 PM
woobiee
Pro

Received 976 Likes on 314 Posts

I'm planning to 10+ years with my 992.

My first car that I bought was an E46 that I kept for 16 or so years (a brilliant car). My second was a F82 M4 that lasted about 6 years (not a huge fan). This 992 is my third car.

That's basically my entire car history. You can say I keep my cars unusually long.
Old Yesterday, 03:49 PM
5thGen Texan
Track Day

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Guess the real answer is one's perspective of a long time.

For me, I don't flip things much. Cool stuff goes to the attic but not the curb or a sale. Same city, same house, same wife - guess I'm a hoarder of sorts. Just recently sold our Solstice GXP after 13 years, a step I believe. Otherwise, the AMG GT will remain (though semi-retired now as a weekender), my '03 F150 is the daily with 458k...people say I'll be buried in it. Probably right. And the '22 911 was spec'd high with the plan for it to be a forever car. Anything can change of course, but long time to us is decades.
Old Yesterday, 06:26 PM
Master Deep
Rennlist Member

Received 777 Likes on 440 Posts

I generally keep my cars 10+ years until the repair costs start to add up and it’s not worth it compared to the value of the car. I never get an itch to upgrade my cars frequently.

With this 911 I’m going to keep it on the road as long as I can.

Now doing it this way you obviously lose out on “experiencing” different cars. I thought about adding a used 4th car that I swap out every few years with minimal depreciation to try some other brands but I need more garage space first.
Old Yesterday, 06:38 PM
tomtomtomtom
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 132 Posts

I had my AMG for 22 years...guess that the 911 will be close to that.
Old Yesterday, 06:47 PM
Hunky
Racer

Received 187 Likes on 115 Posts

I kept cars for as little as one month to 3 years and never more than 3 years ever. The ones I kept for 3 years were my deductable business cars on leases.

Last edited by Hunky; Yesterday at 06:48 PM.
Old Yesterday, 07:04 PM
omaralt
Racer

Received 160 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Crusje
Yep. I would hate paying 5 figures sales tax and every couple years since I don't have a Montana business. I already pay more than my car in property taxes a year.
I'm also planning 10+ years. I had my mom's old 2002 Corolla until 2021 so I don't have the upgrade bug every other year like some people.

interesting i didn't realize not all states are like florida. Here we only pay sales tax on the difference. for example if i trade in my 992 (trade in value $120K) on a new car (MSRP $150k) i only pay tax on $30k. definitely makes it a lot easier to swap cars
Old Yesterday, 07:12 PM
alaris
Instructor

Received 133 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by omaralt
interesting i didn't realize not all states are like florida. Here we only pay sales tax on the difference. for example if i trade in my 992 (trade in value $120K) on a new car (MSRP $150k) i only pay tax on $30k. definitely makes it a lot easier to swap cars
If you’re fine with eating the lower trade in and not selling privately, that’s the trade off.
Old Yesterday, 07:13 PM
omaralt
Racer

Received 160 Likes on 72 Posts

ya sometimes it makes sense and sometimes it doesn't. selling a $120k car privately is a PIA
The following users liked this post:
mikey94025 (Yesterday)

Quick Reply: How Long is 'Keeping the Car for a Long Time'?