Flatnose progress

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 05:18 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 169 Likes on 101 Posts

Nice build James, hadn't been here often lately

So you went with the ex-Perfect Bore heads and ITBs, it will be interesting to see how they perform. I guess RC has tested them before. Not sure if there is another thread detailing the engine/cooling work around here, that would be interesting reading.

Vmax in mind, you would be considering sloped windscreen too?

Good luck.
Old 01-03-2010, 06:55 AM
JamesE
Addict
Rennlist Member

RIP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As I understanding it, RC (+ another) now owns the technology for the screw-in liners/heads. He has run these engines before, but we have changed the design including such gems as "Triple Silver Plated" sealing rings and other new features that are proprietary.

RC runs the same Plenums/ITB on his car.

The engine is basically an evolution of the 993 GT2 Evo, but its the detail that's going to make the difference. I'm heading up to see the engine build once the heads/liners have arrived.

I spoke to Jussi about the sloped screen and PC (doing the body work), and was a bit uncomfortable about the supply issues around the screen. Plus, it would be a lot of work and take the shape of the car too far away from the original flatnose. I have to accept the 964turbo is a brick aero wise and that's the price you pay for that lovely shape
Old 01-03-2010, 09:56 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 169 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by JamesE
As I understanding it, RC (+ another) now owns the technology for the screw-in liners/heads. He has run these engines before, but we have changed the design including such gems as "Triple Silver Plated" sealing rings and other new features that are proprietary.

RC runs the same Plenums/ITB on his car.
Interesting developments concerning the sealing rings, I might need some! Perfect Bore from the UK was bought by Capricorn and are now called Capricorn UK. Most likely RC has done some mods to better fit turbocharged needs with his vast testing and experience in racing turbo engines.

I saw the plenums on his car, he has modifications regarding cold air intake through his rear windows that might be a limitation in your setup, then again you will not be putting your car to his sort of abuse.

Using the 964 Turbo aerodynamics (those side air intakes don't help the CD either) will prove to be a big challenge to your high speed runs, the upright front winshield and width are a huge contributor to drag, but you are after no records anyway.

Looking forward to see the engine temps and performance, I need a new set of 3.8 ltr P&C and heads very very soon, I would not mind going the same route as you did.

Old 01-03-2010, 11:14 AM
JamesE
Addict
Rennlist Member

RIP

Yeah, there has been a lot of head scratching re. thermal limits. I found several big cheques solved the problem

Drop RC a line, i'm sure he'd love to talk shop.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:09 PM
Autobahn
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah, there has been a lot of head scratching re. thermal limits. I found several big cheques solved the problem ...
Old 01-03-2010, 01:37 PM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

This thread should be stuck up to "show" what is "actually" possible with huge development, there are so many out there claiming 570+ RWHP with 3.4ltrs, it's like being in a cartoon! James, when you get the JUDD engine dyno figures after your mapping, lets get some 60-130mph figures posted, it will be a great benchmark for those with stupid, chassis dyno, monster numbers to come to their senses.... Say hi to RC for me
Old 01-20-2010, 09:28 AM
JamesE
Addict
Rennlist Member

RIP

Car is now primed. Will get colour early next week.
Attached Images  
Old 01-20-2010, 04:54 PM
Boeing 717

Received 264 Likes on 159 Posts

Car is now primed. Will get colour early next week.
Oh wow you got that smoothed out pretty good. If you have time take pics of the car before and after paint!!!
Old 01-20-2010, 06:08 PM
JamesE
Addict
Rennlist Member

RIP

Here is the same pic with different lighting. This shows how much the perceived shape changes with light, a trick we have used to open up the vents whilst looking stock.
Attached Images  
Old 01-31-2010, 05:20 AM
emilios
Burning Brakes

Hi James, how's the project coming on?
Old 01-31-2010, 10:45 AM
JamesE
Addict
Rennlist Member

RIP

Base paint on last week. Lacquer to come after curing. I have more pics but you can't see them yet....
Attached Images  
Old 01-31-2010, 01:55 PM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

By far the most important question, will it be ready for VMax? And if not will you be bringing the RSR?
Old 01-31-2010, 02:10 PM
JamesE
Addict
Rennlist Member

RIP

RC/PC knows Vmax is the deadline. Bodywork should be complete this week. It won't be fully assembled until the engine is in. Engine wise, all bits are here, although a slight oversight has required more machining. This is/has been done.

I'm not considering the scenario of it not being ready for Vmax..... The RSR would be a bit noisy I suspect, 105db is difficult to disguise as 98db.
Old 01-31-2010, 03:15 PM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

Great news James, been a long time coming! I assume it's booked in with Judd for the tuning? Will be great to see what it achieves, have you worked out what your VMax should be? Are you still using the G50/52 or did you get a six speed box?
Old 01-31-2010, 05:09 PM
JamesE
Addict
Rennlist Member

RIP

Yep, JUDD again. I hope to go up with the engine this time, i'd love to see those guys in action. I met one of the JUDD guys at Brands when I was looking at buying the RSR. I'll ask Jean to see if his model can predict a top speed. I'm not sure what area numbers we'd use.

Quick Reply: Flatnose progress