nicest turbo ever made imo
The following users liked this post:
heliolps2 (02-07-2022)
Old 02-07-2022, 03:52 PM
dmaddox
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 96 Posts

If the timing was about 4 months from now, I'd be considering this. Seems like a steal to me: https://www.thiesen-automobile.com/e...3-ltr-coupe-2/

225K-ish

Last edited by dmaddox; 02-07-2022 at 03:53 PM.
heliolps2 (02-07-2022)
Old 02-07-2022, 04:02 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,170 Likes on 1,299 Posts

Originally Posted by dmaddox
If the timing was about 4 months from now, I'd be considering this. Seems like a steal to me: https://www.thiesen-automobile.com/e...3-ltr-coupe-2/

225K-ish
beautiful color. I initially thought it was midnight but that is special.
Old 02-07-2022, 05:36 PM
budge96
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 95 Posts

Not bad looking color but at the speeds I was achieving in my first 964 turbo I didn't have time to glance at a GPS system ! Haha Bert
Old 02-09-2022, 12:59 AM
Scott Dunavant
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 131 Posts

You guys have really given me the love to save my old 1991 3.3 turbo that came back to me after 22 years. She was a little rough when I found her in 1999. I bought her cheap and went through the entire car and made some repairs from being on the track after a spin out. The folder is super thick. Now it’s been 22 years old since the sale. So this last Christmas I found the old folder and the pictures and sent a letter out to the owner. I asked him about his ownership experience and I’d love to hear about the car. Ten days later he called me.... We’ve been talking quite a bit. After a House fire and losing his wife **** happens and this car was set-aside for 22 years. I get it, a C2 turbo is a awesome car, keep it and try to figure it out. So he said multiple mechanics have looked at the car but the stories he told me were horrible. I used to work on these 964’s so I know every piece. 3 days later the car arrived to my Missouri home after a huge snowstorm in 2022. The car was driven 300 miles since December 2000. Today I’m sick from the mold and acidic electrical on the car. The real variables of a so called barn find. Brings tears to my eyes of a very difficult situation. I had to cut the leather headliner out of the car today and tomorrow I’ll be removing the leather visors and tossing them as the mirrors are completely white crusted. I know it will take 2 years and a $100,000 to save this car. Is it worth it? May be after reading this thread showing the love for 965's Thank you

I’m not sure where the road will lead me on this restoration. I know my neighbors love the car as people are spending a lot of time looking and sharing their love for this exact turbo Porsche.
The following 3 users liked this post by Scott Dunavant:
bweSteve (02-09-2022), LOMartin (02-09-2022), peterpullin (02-09-2022)
Old 02-09-2022, 08:36 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

^^^^I guess I should say congrats. Although I have an 83 944 I have sitting outside waiting for me to do the same to. I know what a nightmare water damage can be.

I have to admit I rarely see these with leather headliners. It sounds as though it was a nicely optioned turbo. I know how bad the mold can be but we were able to get most all of it out of the 944 which has a rare black interior and looked more white than black when we started. It took a lot of effort vinegar and baking powder but it is gone. You might consider trying opening the windows and salvaging what you can. The vinegar will kill the mold and the baking powder the smell. It might be worth a try. If it doesn't work you can always gut it but as you know the pricing on parts and bits has gotten just as expensive as the cars themselves.

In either case we salute you for taking on this monumental task. It is a lot of work but in the end is worth it. They only made so many of these and yours seems to be specially optioned.

Keep us up to date and all the best and most importantly stay healthy as mold is nasty stuff.

BTW if this helps I spent a fair amount of time replacing the interior in my 93 C2. I was not a fan of the cashmere or a sunroof so I am rebuilding mine as I would like it. Basic Porsche interior in black but I am fine with it this way.

The 944. A surprisingly original and clean car for something that spent nearly a decade sitting outside with a leaking sunroof seal.

Starting down the path of no return

Wondering why I ever took on such a huge project for no reason

Starting to feel better about my decision

Not quite finished. Thanks supply chain issues. But getting there

It is all about the details which takes time patience and as you said love to take on these projects but I think you will be happy in the end.

Last edited by cobalt; 02-09-2022 at 08:40 AM.
LOMartin (02-09-2022)
Old 02-09-2022, 09:00 AM
dmaddox
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Wow - what a story and crazy history on this turbo. I agree, I have been able to rescue some VERY VERY nasty interiors with the right products and time commitment, which...might I add was far less than all new, plus had the added benefit of still being original. As long as the leather itself is free of major tears or cracks, they make a plethora of products to clean and restore vinyl and leather. It will be worth your time to investigate before cutting anything out!

Congrats, enjoy - we are here for you!
Old 02-09-2022, 10:01 AM
Scott Dunavant
Rennlist Member

Thanks Cobalt and Dmaddox. I'm late going into work because I'm very sick. I wore 2 masks and they didn't help. I'm not going near the car again unless I have a hazmat suit and respirator.
The mold is dry but there's also this battery acid all over everything. Doesn't help some mechanic threw a new battery in the car 2 years ago.
BTW I cavity coated the chassis 20 years ago. The wax is still sticky!. It preserved everything outside the car except the Rust on the cowls and sunroof.
Here are some photos
Old 02-09-2022, 10:03 AM
Scott Dunavant
Rennlist Member

Old 02-09-2022, 10:11 AM
dmaddox
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Sorry you are sick, Scott - hang in there! A good respirator will help, for sure. I may be wrong - but I am pretty confident you can salvage the interior and not cut a single thing. I even think you can drop off the visors at an upholstery shop and have the mirrors replaced - which I have done before. I know you are overwhelmed, but take a step back, heal up and order a good respirator from a paint supply/amazon and revisit as @cobalt mentioned above. You will have a beautiful car in the end. Hang in there!!
Old 02-09-2022, 10:28 AM
Scott Dunavant
Rennlist Member

This is the good part. The dash pad pulled out with my bare hands.

dmaddox (02-09-2022)
Old 02-09-2022, 11:19 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,054 Likes on 668 Posts

DEfinitely sorry to hear that you got sick from it. Not feeling well can definitely damping the spirits & make everything feel so daunting. Like dmaddox & cobalt said, get well, hang in there (emotionally), and then when you feel better, your attitude & motivation will soar. Then take it one step at a time (you're only one guy),... and most importantly celebrate every little victory. We can help you do that here too.

Btw, if you are your own boss (own your own company), then tell your boss that you need to go back to bed. He'll probably understand since he's as sick as you are!!
Old 02-09-2022, 12:18 PM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

That's a helluva story - and looks like TONS of work. Worth it. Here's some more inspiration (hopefully) for what the future may hold with the car:
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-turb...trip-pics.html

Been on several multi-day drives since I posted on that thread - pics on IG @bcr91964T

Brandon
'91 Turbo

Originally Posted by Scott Dunavant
You guys have really given me the love to save my old 1991 3.3 turbo that came back to me after 22 years. She was a little rough when I found her in 1999. I bought her cheap and went through the entire car and made some repairs from being on the track after a spin out. The folder is super thick. Now it’s been 22 years old since the sale. So this last Christmas I found the old folder and the pictures and sent a letter out to the owner. I asked him about his ownership experience and I’d love to hear about the car. Ten days later he called me.... We’ve been talking quite a bit. After a House fire and losing his wife **** happens and this car was set-aside for 22 years. I get it, a C2 turbo is a awesome car, keep it and try to figure it out. So he said multiple mechanics have looked at the car but the stories he told me were horrible. I used to work on these 964’s so I know every piece. 3 days later the car arrived to my Missouri home after a huge snowstorm in 2022. The car was driven 300 miles since December 2000. Today I’m sick from the mold and acidic electrical on the car. The real variables of a so called barn find. Brings tears to my eyes of a very difficult situation. I had to cut the leather headliner out of the car today and tomorrow I’ll be removing the leather visors and tossing them as the mirrors are completely white crusted. I know it will take 2 years and a $100,000 to save this car. Is it worth it? May be after reading this thread showing the love for 965's Thank you

I’m not sure where the road will lead me on this restoration. I know my neighbors love the car as people are spending a lot of time looking and sharing their love for this exact turbo Porsche.
Old 02-09-2022, 09:11 PM
Scott Dunavant
Rennlist Member

Thanks Brandon, I'm under IG @93amethyst964 I shouldn't hijack this thread. I started another one that I'll review the dismantling of the 964 turbo. I'm not going to consider the rebuild until I look in the engine and see the leak down.... https://rennlist.com/forums/964-turb...o-repairs.html
Old 02-10-2022, 08:33 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

I agree proper PPE is a must when dealing with stiff like this. I also used to work in the foundry business for 30 years so I learned how to breath or not when around noxious chemicals or fumes.

It doesn't look that bad to me. A lot of work but will be well worth it when done. I would open the windows for now and just allow it to dry out. The carpet can be doused with vinegar (use a spray bottle) which will be even worse smelling but in the end you will appreciate it. This is more of an open air type job and proper ventilation is a must.

GL Looking forward to seeing the end result.

Quick Reply: 964 Turbo market