Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 964 C2 Transformation Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 06:12 PM
Greg Lab
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, looks like a new car. All of the detail is amazing. Great work Chris!
Old 12-17-2015, 11:45 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

More parts. Not much more this week but a big pile from Porsche and some more rothsport stuff soon.

Car is up on the lift at the shop should start work tomorrow.

Old 12-22-2015, 12:35 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

MORE PARTS.

Old 12-22-2015, 03:10 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

master cylinder
wait that's acropovic....
Old 12-22-2015, 03:12 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sullonyi
Gearing. I changed the gearing on my "hotrod" build, and all I can say is: Holy **** !!! This is the way the car should have come from the factory.
Gearing will get done alongside motor build. After hearing a certain 3.9L screaming this weekend. I need it. BAD.

Originally Posted by mooty
master cylinder
wait that's acropovic....
Yes and nope, porsche factory. Squint and you can see the part number.
Old 12-22-2015, 02:51 PM
berk
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey thanks for the link on Pelican for the washer bottle. Looks good. Copied
Old 12-23-2015, 12:37 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx

Yes and nope, porsche factory. Squint and you can see the part number.
SQUINT??
i am -9
Old 12-23-2015, 01:49 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
SQUINT??
i am -9
Zoom in and put iPad on face.

Some of the bits going on after holidays

Car is with Joey Seely at e-motion engineering for the chassis and brake work (including 993 master cylinder).

Then it's off to BBI Autosport.

The following users liked this post:
JP-"S" (08-22-2023)
Old 12-23-2015, 09:08 AM
Greg Lab
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^^^^
Great photo! Looks like Santa came.
Old 12-23-2015, 10:44 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,169 Posts

Zoom in and put iPad on face.

Some of the bits going on after holidays

Car is with Joey Seely at e-motion engineering for the chassis and brake work (including 993 master cylinder).

Then it's off to BBI Autosport.

LOL not too long ago the stuff on the floor was worth more than the car it is going on. If you get a chance I was considering the evo uprights. Did you buy from the factory or did you find a reasonable source? Bob from Stable has had a set sitting in his display case for years and I still can't get him to sell them to me.

Also who's rear hats are those and do you loose your Ebrake or can you still use it.
Old 12-23-2015, 11:05 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt
LOL not too long ago the stuff on the floor was worth more than the car it is going on. If you get a chance I was considering the evo uprights. Did you buy from the factory or did you find a reasonable source? Bob from Stable has had a set sitting in his display case for years and I still can't get him to sell them to me.

Also who's rear hats are those and do you loose your Ebrake or can you still use it.
Yeah no kidding lol. Shop sourced them from local Porsche parts distributor they are available about $600 each. New factor parts. Not shown are wheel bearings abs sensors and a npbumch of bolts. The rotors and hats are 2 piece floating Brembo, aluminum hats iron slotted rotors. The hats in the rear keep the ebrake. Also not shown are the inner tie rods which are being modified as solid monoballs. ERP inner links not yet available. They will be soon.

I can't wait. This will be the biggest transformation in driving feel that I will do short term.
Old 12-23-2015, 11:13 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,169 Posts

. The hats in the rear keep the ebrake. Also not shown are the inner tie rods which are being modified as solid monoballs. ERP inner links not yet available. They will be soon.

I can't wait. This will be the biggest transformation in driving feel that I will do short term.
Interesting on the hats. I had to loose mine with aluminum hats and coleman rotors. Are you modifying them to monoball or having them pinned to make them solid? I pinned mine which made a huge difference.
Old 12-23-2015, 11:47 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt
Interesting on the hats. I had to loose mine with aluminum hats and coleman rotors. Are you modifying them to monoball or having them pinned to make them solid? I pinned mine which made a huge difference.
Yes, the brembo rotors are engineered to maintain the stock accessories.

On the inner tie rods, I'll get a picture of them shortly. Basically, there are 3 different 993 tie rods available for the inner portion (I'm using ERPs outer link)... this is pretty well documented on here, I'll try to summarize. The stock inner which is a monoball link connected to a rubber "sleeve" (about $200/pr), the RS link which is still available (at $500/pr!) which is the same with harder rubber, and the "cup" link which has no rubber "sleeve" (no longer available, this is what I want). ALL of the links have a monoball on the inner end, the difference is in the rubber sleeve or lack thereof on the Cup part. So when i say modify, its effectively canceling the rubber out as Pinning does.

In talking with Cary at ERP (nice to have such great manufactures local!!! super good guy, funny as hell racing stories from back in the day....) who is in the process of manufacturing SOLID monoball 993 inner links, which is NOT a trivial process to do, that will be available in the next month or two... he suggested a trick they've been doing for years. Take a washer of sufficient size and thickness, slide it over the shaft and have it welded to the "sleeve" body and shaft. This locks the shaft and effectively makes it same as the Cup part. My shop is doing this and at some point I'll swap out for his inner links when available. I talked to him about pinning and he said either can work, but he preferred the washer weld approach.

P.S. Also not shown are the 993 master cylinder, booster, brackets, and BMW lines (which I found local!!!) which will also be put on. Lots more pics to come once Joey is back from some time off.

Last edited by Spyerx; 02-03-2016 at 10:09 PM.
Old 12-23-2015, 12:18 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

One other update... I've been using Endless brake fluid in my RS which is a 90% track day car and it's been a great fluid. NEVER have had fade issues and the brakes are just fantastic lap after lap after lap (I use Brembo Type 3 Rotors and Race Technologies RE10 pads)

In talking with Brembo Race Technologies I decided to try their HTC 64T brake fluid. The performance characteristics/boiling points are similar to Endless, however the pedal feel of the Brembo fluid is supposedly a bit firmer, this I'm excited to try out. If this works well I'll give it a run in my GT3RS.

FWIW, HTC 64T and Endless are the only 2 brake fluids used in F1.

Old 12-23-2015, 12:34 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 972 Likes on 634 Posts

when do we see the 'sum of the parts'?? great project.

Quick Reply: My 964 C2 Transformation Build Thread