Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 964 C2 Transformation Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 11:11 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

enjoying the car. Joey made a few setup tweaks yesterday (lowered the back just a tick, pulled back a tick of caster, and reset toe) and the car feels REALLY good. It has grip for days, turns in amazing, and just sticks. cannot WAIT to get some track time on this thing. Oh, and the brakes, holy crap, leave your eyeballs on the pavement stopping power.

went out for a little canyon driving today, amazing weather (sorry east coasters), hung out in malibu, admired MANY amazing cars out enjoying the sunshine.

this is joey's project nasty, my car, and a friends 57 speedster (a real one)

Old 02-09-2016, 06:53 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Quick update on the build.... so Joey @ E-Motion Engineering did just a fantastic job on the chassis. Looks like I might be able to sneak in a few laps on the track Friday and test it out! Look forward to that!

So what's next? Well, BBI Autosport is going to pickup the next bit of work, and here's what I've so far got on my "build list". Hope to get the car in there around mid march. Looks like a long list but just kinda detailed, summary is some interior finishing, bar, a few exterior body bits, LWFW, rothsport shifter, headers, and other parts...

Ok, so what's next after the below? Probably a tranny regear...

Paint splitters same color as headlight rings (black)
Install Cultwerks splitters front bumper
New lower bumper plastics left/right
Install new lower bumper plastics with cultwerks RS extensions
Cultwerks Carrera RS rear bumper center section + lights
Paint cultwerks center bumper guards red section to match car
Install Rear license lights,screws for RS Bumper
Modify rear bumper, remove extensions drill rivets, etc
Relocate tow hook on rear bumper for Culterwerk bumper
FVD front brakes bumper cooling duct kit, ducts, tubing
Paint FVD cooling ducts guards red
Install front cooling ducts kit from FVD
Paint headlight rings black, install
Ruf A Pillar aero kit
Paint Ruf A Pillar aero parts guards red, install
Getty Carbon RSR wing
Paint Getty wing
Remove old wing, install / mount Getty wing
Remove 2 small door dings (2)
Repair any other body scratches that can be repaired
Full paint correction + underbody detail / cleaning
Appbiz RS perlon carpet kit, BLACK
Mount floor boards above carpets driver/passenger side
Rennline aluminum pedals + dead pedal, perforated silver
Rennline hell toe extension - Red
Rennline floor board drivers silver perforated
Rennline floor board passenger silver perforated
Rennline cup driver side floor board silver
Rennline cup passenger side floor board - silver
Rear cage welded in modeled after RSR
Paint cage + prime/paint weld areas
Reinforce front seat front rail mount positions
Recaro Pole Position seats
Recaro aluminum side mount risers
Recaro sliders drill mount to stock reinforced positions
Brey Krause 9035 sub strap mounts x2
OEM RS mount for inboard seatbelt receptacle 96452106500 x2
Mounting solution for OEM seat belt B pillar mount upper/lower
Retain OEM seat belts (front only) remove rears, mount to roll bar
Inboard harness mounted using Sabelt backing plates, drilled
Sabelt harnesses, red, both seats (aluminum)
Modify front brake shields to clear larger rotors
Replace clutch and brake pedal box bushings (4 total)
Remove cruise control mechanism
Drop engine and transmission
Valve adjustment
Oil and filter change
Install second oil cooler - carnewal?
Refinish fan / housing - paint fan gold or red
Inspect fan and housing for cracking
Wevo Engine mounts 964 (blue pillows/stiffer)
New engine pad, Appbiz - Needed?
Rothsport fan hub single belt
Rothsport pulley half
Rothsport single belt crank pulley with ac
Rothsport support beam
Rothsport headers
Fabricate muffler and exhaust out of 991 turbo s muffler
Custom heat boxes for rothsport headers
Heat shields for lower valve covers / headers
Change tranny fluid - Delvac
Bleed clutch with new brembo fluid
Porsche Light flywheel - RS setup
Balance flywheel/clutch assembly
Rennline Tranny mount
Replace all shifter action bushings
Rothsport billet shifter black
Rothsport goldenrod
Rothsport forward shift rod
Old 02-09-2016, 07:07 PM
Netbug
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow that's a long list
Old 02-09-2016, 07:12 PM
Rephlex
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Superb. It's spooky I'm working through a very similar list at the moment. All parts purchased and car is about to leave the paint shop. If I survive telling my wife, I'll post a thread too.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:26 PM
berk
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice build all around Chris
Old 02-09-2016, 07:28 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Netbug
Wow that's a long list
hahahah.... this list + the chassis work just done is a VERY long list!

Originally Posted by Rephlex
Superb. It's spooky I'm working through a very similar list at the moment. All parts purchased and car is about to leave the paint shop. If I survive telling my wife, I'll post a thread too.
I took my wife for a drive in the 964 and her reaction was "it feels nice, feels more sporty but not as rough as your gt3rs" The test was her falling asleep heading home. She approves. :thumbs:

I have all but just a couple of the parts in hand. And well, I am trying to not paint the car. I don't want it too nice!

Last edited by Spyerx; 02-09-2016 at 07:44 PM.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:34 PM
Mr.Alex
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Its a pretty complete build man, the same direction I would go if finances were more friendly.

And I may say this a lot, but dang, Prokect McNasty is just on point appearance/stance wise. Especially considering its all functional.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:08 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Rothsport reinforced engine carrier has arrived. Nice piece!!!

Old 02-10-2016, 08:57 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

LOL

The list gets longer every time I see it and you haven't gotten to the widebody build yet. Everytime I open this thread I start jonesing to start some of the same projects. But it wouldn't matter anyhow no place to drive until this mess is washed away. Damn groundhog needs to be shot we still have winter here.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:21 AM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Man o manischewitz. And I thought I had a great build. Amazing build, but for the safety of my bank account and mental health, I may need to put you on "Ignore". Every time I click on this thread the wheels start turning. Thanks for sharing!!!

Mike
Old 02-10-2016, 10:38 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 511 Likes on 351 Posts

couple of comments
FVD front brakes bumper cooling duct kit, ducts, tubing
Paint FVD cooling ducts guards red
Install front cooling ducts kit from FVD
w/ your brakes these are totally unnecessary, just using the stock diverters will be fine but if you like the idea ...

Appbiz RS perlon carpet kit, BLACK
again a personal decision, depends on what appearance you want. The oe Sliverknit is much nicer and no heavier, the heavy stuff is all the padding and sound insulation glued to the interior of the chassis.

Mount floor boards above carpets driver/passenger side
The drivers side is nice and I use it, there isn't much leg room on the passenger side and the board takes away from that, I bought one then reconsidered and sold the passenger side. Carpet covers that area.

Recaro Pole Position seats
These are nice seats but depending on your stature they can present an issue wrt shoulder harness use. The shoulder holes are so small that for taller drivers especially the shoulder harness won't have a clear fetch to the roll bar tie off. You need a clear unimpeded run from the top of you shoulder or Hans to the the bar tie off, w/ a slight down angle from the shoulder to the bar. The other issue wil be the tunnel side 3 point connection it can be done but the connector will need to be modified to work right. My seats have a taller bolster and couldn't even be modified to work right so I use a slightly modified rear one through the side hole. There is plenty of room for both the 3 point and harness through the side.

Brey Krause 9035 sub strap mounts x2
since you are using the RS mount for the tunnel side 3 point I'd suggest using the GT3 sub bar. The RS mount and associated leveling washers are all 3mm thick where they are sandwiched btween the skider and sidemount, the Gt3 bar is also 3 mm thicj in this area and works well as a mounting system It also clears the under seat electrics.

Are you retaining the airbags?
If not remove the knee pad and replace w/ either a Rennline piece or an oe from an '89 911
Old 02-10-2016, 11:46 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt
LOL
The list gets longer every time I see it and you haven't gotten to the widebody build yet. Everytime I open this thread I start jonesing to start some of the same projects. But it wouldn't matter anyhow no place to drive until this mess is washed away. Damn groundhog needs to be shot we still have winter here.
LOL! You have enough cars, ship one out here! :-)

Originally Posted by K964
Man o manischewitz. And I thought I had a great build. Amazing build, but for the safety of my bank account and mental health, I may need to put you on "Ignore". Every time I click on this thread the wheels start turning. Thanks for sharing!!!
well, you live once... $ is no fun sitting in the bank. And trust me, this is ALL for my mental heath!

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
couple of comments
w/ your brakes these are totally unnecessary, just using the stock diverters will be fine but if you like the idea ...
100% agree, but they look cool! I'm being a bit vain with this one i guess. but I figure if i like the look w/o the fogs, so i put the ducts, and if i put the ducts, they have to be functional, right??

again a personal decision, depends on what appearance you want. The oe Sliverknit is much nicer and no heavier, the heavy stuff is all the padding and sound insulation glued to the interior of the chassis.
I went over to Appbiz (they are about 15 mins down the road from me) and looked at large pieces of each of the 3 fabrics: perlon felt, lightweight plush, and sliver knit. His fabrics are as nice as the OEM stuff, at least the sliver knit looked and felt like my stock fabric. Anyway, I prefer the shorter fibers of the plush, and you are right, weight is about the same. the perlon felt is really for an older car.

The drivers side is nice and I use it, there isn't much leg room on the passenger side and the board takes away from that, I bought one then reconsidered and sold the passenger side. Carpet covers that area.
Ok, i'll have to inspect and give it a go, wife is like 5'2" and she's about the only one who ever rides shotgun!

These are nice seats but depending on your stature they can present an issue wrt shoulder harness use. The shoulder holes are so small that for taller drivers especially the shoulder harness won't have a clear fetch to the roll bar tie off. You need a clear unimpeded run from the top of you shoulder or Hans to the the bar tie off, w/ a slight down angle from the shoulder to the bar. The other issue wil be the tunnel side 3 point connection it can be done but the connector will need to be modified to work right. My seats have a taller bolster and couldn't even be modified to work right so I use a slightly modified rear one through the side hole. There is plenty of room for both the 3 point and harness through the side.
A couple buddies have these seats in their 964 with similar mounting setups - we are similar size. i have 2 sets of them, and use in my RS for track duty. i'm "Pole position size" meaning, short. So the straps are at the right angles of approach when wearing a hans. agree though, much taller than me and you need to use the profi seats from recaro which have higher and larger holes. I have copies of your seat thread from PP saved off, shop has done many of these but the visuals for me are helpful.

since you are using the RS mount for the tunnel side 3 point I'd suggest using the GT3 sub bar. The RS mount and associated leveling washers are all 3mm thick where they are sandwiched btween the skider and sidemount, the Gt3 bar is also 3 mm thicj in this area and works well as a mounting system It also clears the under seat electrics.
i measured the BK bars I have and they are similar. i may go to the GT3 sub or shop may do something custom, I'm not sure, I have all options here. Good to know about the similar thickness using the RS mounts. i've got some 3mm washers already and need to pickup the rest of the mounting hardware from McMaster.

Are you retaining the airbags?
If not remove the knee pad and replace w/ either a Rennline piece or an oe from an '89 911
Already done, used cup bypass on the tunnel connection, pulled passenger airbag (driver too with the momo wheel), rennline dash and airbag covers installed, oh radio delete panel too. i like the simple clean look. And the thought of a 25+ year old airbag exploding is not attractive.
Old 02-10-2016, 02:23 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

A word of caution with the GT3 sub bar. I had them initially and one failed for no apparent reason. Both tabs broke off without any strain and this was mounted to a set of GT3 hardbacks using factory sliders.

In my past life I was certified Level III NDT inspector for PT and RT plus other forms of material testing for years on cast parts. Although without further testing I can only speculate on what caused the failure. What I did observe was clear evidence of oxides in the material and the grain structure looked as though it had not been properly heat treated but I cannot verify this without further testing. I can assure you they did fail without warning. It might have been a fluke but once was enough for me.
Old 02-10-2016, 02:47 PM
FormulaRX
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
hahahah.... this list + the chassis work just done is a VERY long list! I took my wife for a drive in the 964 and her reaction was "it feels nice, feels more sporty but not as rough as your gt3rs" The test was her falling asleep heading home. She approves. :thumbs: I have all but just a couple of the parts in hand. And well, I am trying to not paint the car. I don't want it too nice!
Don't paint it. Just a good cut and polish. I'm resisting the urge to fully glass out respray my car. Just got back from a canyon run last weekend and lots of loose gravel kicked up. I'd be pissed if the car was freshly painted. I think I'll leave it as is that way I won't be afraid to drive it lol
Old 02-10-2016, 03:09 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FormulaRX
Don't paint it. Just a good cut and polish. I'm resisting the urge to fully glass out respray my car. Just got back from a canyon run last weekend and lots of loose gravel kicked up. I'd be pissed if the car was freshly painted. I think I'll leave it as is that way I won't be afraid to drive it lol
exactly. some well worn patina is a-ok with me. no garage queens here!
Will pickup a few more friday at the track!

Quick Reply: My 964 C2 Transformation Build Thread