Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Teardown begins. Suspension madness...

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 08:26 PM
DobermanDad
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The RS are harder than it the factory bushings as far as I know.
Old 12-10-2015, 08:43 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 429 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by DobermanDad
The RS are harder than it the factory bushings as far as I know.
I know I know...but the thing that kills me, is that they are really saying nothing...I like the fact that elephant clearly states "sport version is 25% harder than stock"....that actually tells me something...

The ones at fvd look the same, but they give zero info. So I wouldn't be able to pull the trigger, even though they may be awesome.

That said, seeing how horrible the ones coming out of our cars are, anything new would work better. So I'm sure they won't have any complaints...

Are you going to do yours? It's not a bad job and the improvement is huge...
Old 12-10-2015, 08:49 PM
DobermanDad
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I hope to soon. I know my current bushings are in pretty sad shape right now. Car is up on stands now, slowly being restored here and there. Time is my only enemy at the moment due to my job.
Old 12-10-2015, 08:56 PM
Goughary
Race Car

I'm in Chicago...come pick me up and I'll give you a hand!!!
Old 12-10-2015, 08:57 PM
MikeP.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't stay out from under a 964, can you Rob?
Old 12-11-2015, 08:29 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Just made a new Facebook page for this build...

Facebook.com/dbfdmotorsport

Feel free to jump in...I'll continue to post all here but I tend to be more pictures and less talk on fb...

For now I just posted something like 900 photos from the past build and current one. Most that if you have been here, you have likely seen...

Anyway. This all helps me stay organized...thanks for the continued support and input...

Can't wait till we install the opening rear windows and side vents on the Boston car....
Old 12-11-2015, 08:52 PM
Mr.Alex
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How tough is it to swap the wheel carrier? Have the carrier and bearing. Was thinking of coming around spring time, but with the weather we are having maybe sooner.

But I love threads like this. I have a load more threads like this bookmarked, whether they give a walk through or not. A lot of times I just need a visual aid, and seeing the pictures people put up makes me feel more comfortable before I dig into something.
Old 12-12-2015, 12:15 AM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Check perelet's 964 993 suspension notes thread on Pelican parts.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...uspension.html
Old 12-12-2015, 01:48 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Originally Posted by Mr.Alex
How tough is it to swap the wheel carrier? Have the carrier and bearing. Was thinking of coming around spring time, but with the weather we are having maybe sooner.

But I love threads like this. I have a load more threads like this bookmarked, whether they give a walk through or not. A lot of times I just need a visual aid, and seeing the pictures people put up makes me feel more comfortable before I dig into something.
Alex, haven't done a C2 yet. Swapping a wheel carrier isn't that rough, but the issue I would see is that you have a carrier and bearing, but then you'd likely ruin the boots on the tie rod and ball joint, and then if you replace those, then you haven't on the opposite side, etc. so you kinda need to decide how exact you want things one side to the other, and whether it's worth it to wait to do it all at once.

Regardless, you will need to do alignment after. So that expense alone is worth doing both sides imho since you don't want to have to pay for alignment twice...

Vandit, great link...
Old 12-12-2015, 03:09 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Best comment I've gotten so far on my new fb page, http://facebook.com/dbfdmotorsport, is the following:

"Looks really cool. How about Drive Break Fix Pay Me Drive?"

So far I've been a bit of an altruist...but he has a good point...maybe someday I'll stop thinking of it all as "cool stuff and fun" and actually have to charge...lol...

Who's having fun???? Chime in!
Old 12-12-2015, 10:11 PM
Mr.Alex
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Goughary
Alex, haven't done a C2 yet. Swapping a wheel carrier isn't that rough, but the issue I would see is that you have a carrier and bearing, but then you'd likely ruin the boots on the tie rod and ball joint, and then if you replace those, then you haven't on the opposite side, etc. so you kinda need to decide how exact you want things one side to the other, and whether it's worth it to wait to do it all at once.

Regardless, you will need to do alignment after. So that expense alone is worth doing both sides imho since you don't want to have to pay for alignment twice...

Vandit, great link...
It is a good point, didn't think of it until you mentioned it. Why do you say the boots will be ruined? I seemed to do an alright job when I took the control arms out to swap bushings, and they seemed ok afterwards. I'l probably order the bearing and hardware for the driver side as well. For the driver side however, with the bearing tools it should theoretically pull out without taking the carrier off?
Old 12-12-2015, 11:27 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Yeah on a c2 I suppose you can do the bearing on the car.

The boots get ruined when you use a fork to loosen the tapers. If you use a proper ball joint tool that's the right size, you can loosen the tapers without hurting the boots...
Old 12-14-2015, 02:15 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Just bought a mig welder... ****sgettinreal...
Old 12-14-2015, 02:57 PM
Goughary
Race Car

I'm having too much fun making stuff...

Just posted a tshirt to the dbfd fb page. And now with the welder, I'm contemplating making an h4 specific headlight grill cover...

We added my friend Evelin as our new German editor on the page. So the page now has 5 editors. This is fun...

But, guys, seriously, this is what happens when I sit around with too much time on my hands and not able to get to my garage...

Latest is the following:
I start back up serious work end of week.
Mikes seats are on their way back from Robert budd.
Hardware is on its way from Houston. Hope the plating went well. No idea yet what to expect.
We have a new pile waiting for me on my return.
And I need to stop designing logos and tshirts...even though that tshirt is pretty awesome...many thanks to Dave for the initial design concept...good job!
Old 12-14-2015, 03:04 PM
FlyinTomato
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

are you going to invest in a lift soon? doing all these under the car are demanding. I don't want to change wheels these days lol.

Quick Reply: Teardown begins. Suspension madness...