Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sill cover gap

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2015 | 09:04 PM
wachen
Advanced

Default Sill cover gap

Before I get into my issue, let me just get this out of the way...I didn't take a picture when things were apart, so I used a picture from one of 911jetta's threads...911jetta, I hope you don't mind.

OK, now here is my issue.

I removed my driver side sill cover last night to replace the rubber strip. In the process of removing the sill cover, I broke one of the little plastic tab, "B" in the first picture.

On my car, that particular set of tabs, first one behind the front wheel well, is mated to those type of white plastic clip which appears cannot be removed from the body. (similar to "A", in the first picture. I know the one in the picture is actually for the shark fin. But the first sill cover clip behind the front wheel well for my car is that type. The rest are those normal white/red clips.)

As I reassembled the sill cover, because of the broken tab, that section of the sill cover will not stay fastened to the body. There is now a gap between the sill cover and the body. (see picture #2)

I am at a lost as to what to do here. I hate the gap. Any help is appreciated.

Warren
Attached Images   
Old 02-21-2015 | 10:10 PM
DobermanDad
Drifting

You need to figure out a way to mod that tab or replace the fin. I haven't had a chance to replace my seals yet, but I'm going to soon. But yeah, if you can mod it to make it work or find a new part. Plastic sucks when it gets old because it's brittle.

I may go out tomorrow and take mine off to see what you're dealing with. I have to remove it anyway.
Old 02-22-2015 | 12:44 AM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Those clips you say can't be removed are actually held on from the backside with plastic nuts. A 10mm ratcheting wrench and some thin hands/long fingers are your friend when it comes to removal.

The reason the clipping points are broken is because the sill was yanked off w/ those clips+nuts still in place.

The solution here is to remove the plastic nuts from the backside, then use an adhesive such as Goop to glue the clip w/ treaded stud back onto the sill or shark fin, then reinstall properly using the nut on the backside of the body.

On that front clip, look at the bottom rear area of the front wheelwell. You see that triangle shaped piece that mates with the fender liner and the sill? This is the first piece you need to remove during sill removal and it is the last piece you reinstall on reassembly. Once that piece is out of the way, you can access that plastic nut easily.

Last edited by Vandit; 02-22-2015 at 12:59 AM.
Old 02-22-2015 | 01:03 AM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Old 02-22-2015 | 04:45 AM
hepkat63
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Vandit
Those clips you say can't be removed are actually held on from the backside with plastic nuts. A 10mm ratcheting wrench and some thin hands/long fingers are your friend when it comes to removal.

The reason the clipping points are broken is because the sill was yanked off w/ those clips+nuts still in place.

The solution here is to remove the plastic nuts from the backside, then use an adhesive such as Goop to glue the clip w/ treaded stud back onto the sill or shark fin, then reinstall properly using the nut on the backside of the body.

On that front clip, look at the bottom rear area of the front wheelwell. You see that triangle shaped piece that mates with the fender liner and the sill? This is the first piece you need to remove during sill removal and it is the last piece you reinstall on reassembly. Once that piece is out of the way, you can access that plastic nut easily.

+1 - good call. I got caught with this too , until i realised that they bolt from the other side (mind you, you need contortionists hands to get to them !!)
Old 02-22-2015 | 12:38 PM
wachen
Advanced

Vandit, thank you for the great explanation, the photo, and the solution.

I guess I was too careless during disassembling and just yanked the sill cover off.

Now sounds like some Goop action is in order.

Cheers.
Old 02-24-2015 | 10:29 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Welcome to RL Wachen!
Old 02-24-2015 | 01:06 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Related: Anybody else notice that Porsche's new, superceded part number, plastic nut is a smaller diameter and doesn't screw on to the sill studs, or the other underbody studs?
Old 02-24-2015 | 01:48 PM
wachen
Advanced

Thanks Jetta!

And I am happy to report back that the Goop solution (I used JB Weld) worked perfectly.

Quick Reply: Sill cover gap