Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The silly little question thread ...

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2019, 10:07 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,744 Likes on 660 Posts

US market C4, with of course LHD headlamps, in RHD Japan.
We are swapping lenses for RHD, and testing some Philips RHD canted LED H4 inserts, and also wanted to give the reflectors a clean.

Silly little question; what would be the most effective and non-corrosive method of cleaning the reflectors?
I used furniture polish on my 356 (essentially the same lamp construction too all those years earlier), but is there a more up-to-date, perhaps anti-static cleaner that will not harm the typically fragile silvering on the reflector?

Thanks for any tips!
Old 08-07-2019, 01:19 PM
Harry Apps
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuro Neko

US market C4, with of course LHD headlamps, in RHD Japan.
We are swapping lenses for RHD, and testing some Philips RHD canted LED H4 inserts, and also wanted to give the reflectors a clean.

Silly little question; what would be the most effective and non-corrosive method of cleaning the reflectors?
I used furniture polish on my 356 (essentially the same lamp construction too all those years earlier), but is there a more up-to-date, perhaps anti-static cleaner that will not harm the typically fragile silvering on the reflector?

Thanks for any tips!
Can you change the lenses? Your headlamp surrounds look like H5's You may need to change the complete lamps to get what you wish for. To clean the refectors, I just use a soft microfibre cloth (not rubbing) and warm breath - works for me!
Old 08-07-2019, 01:46 PM
forty2
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

First, my silly little question: Today I noticed that my intermittents aren't exactly working intermittently. A few months ago they were working just fine but when I went to use them today they weren't pausing between cycles. With the dial turned fully CCW they worked just like low speed and turned fully CW they had about a 1/4 second pause. Anyone have any thoughts on chasing this little gremlin?

I also have a question that I don't think is so silly: Where can I see more of this S800?

Old 08-07-2019, 01:56 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

You may have a dead spot in the variable resister. Does the intermittent feature work at intermediary settings?
Old 08-07-2019, 02:04 PM
forty2
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket Rob
You may have a dead spot in the variable resister. Does the intermittent feature work at intermediary settings?
It doesn't seem to, the pause at full clockwise is so short it's barely noticeable.
Old 08-08-2019, 12:48 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Harry Apps
Can you change the lenses? Your headlamp surrounds look like H5s You may need to change the complete lamps to get what you wish for. To clean the refectors, I just use a soft microfibre cloth (not rubbing) and warm breath - works for me!
Gah!
I did a quick check with the parts catalog, and assumed (duh, I know) the lenses would swap out:

But, looking in detail, the H5 system doesn't have all those eye-removing springs...
I will check in detail, but looks like we will indeed need to replace the whole unit as removing the lens from the H5 reflector looks nasty.
Well, at least we have a new set of H4 RHD lenses and inserts - anyone got a set of H4 sets for sale?

Originally Posted by forty2
I also have a question that I don't think is so silly: Where can I see more of this S800?
Ha!

Flat plane, modular crank, solid rods, and 10,000 rpm - I wish my Cayman S sounded as good, but at least I have aircon and ABS now.
There's plenty more on Cars on Film, a few on Speedhunters, and Honda-Tech for details...

Thanks both!
Neko
Old 08-08-2019, 10:31 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

H5 lenses are glued and cannot be easily removed. You can remove the assembly and use a cotton ball and a bent coat hanger to clean most of the reflector. Its not easy and you have to be gentle. I did this about 20 years ago but then upgraded to H4's and tossed my H5's in the trash.
Old 08-09-2019, 05:51 PM
salty87
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 42 Posts

Need to get some gauge work done but this little SOB connector is getting the best of me. Anyone have a trick for removing it?...90 C2 Tach

There isn't much room to work with. Need to pry both tabs back at the same time. Can't see 'em when both hands are in the way. Thx

Old 08-09-2019, 05:55 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

I would try two small screwdrivers, Each prying back a tab.
Old 08-09-2019, 06:00 PM
Ralph3.
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket Rob
H5 lenses are glued and cannot be easily removed. You can remove the assembly and use a cotton ball and a bent coat hanger to clean most of the reflector. Its not easy and you have to be gentle. I did this about 20 years ago but then upgraded to H4's and tossed my H5's in the trash.
Bottle brush works well, make sure they dry before you reinstall.
Old 08-09-2019, 07:58 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

A mechanic tried to clean the slivering on my H4 and ruined them. Some versions of the lens backs are available on eBay. Mine weren't. It cost me a lot of money to sort it. I had to buy new ones. Just a warning.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:54 PM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by John McM
A mechanic tried to clean the slivering on my H4 and ruined them. Some versions of the lens backs are available on eBay. Mine weren't. It cost me a lot of money to sort it. I had to buy new ones. Just a warning.
Indeed!
A common mistake is to think the reflectors are chromed, not finished with a fine layer of silver.
An electroplater can generally refinish, but that's a difficult process as well...

Originally Posted by Ralph3.
Bottle brush works well, make sure they dry before you reinstall.
The owner wants to ditch the H5, but this might work in the interim...
Thanks!
Old 08-09-2019, 09:57 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Indeed!
A common mistake is to think the reflectors are chromed, not finished with a fine layer of silver.
An electroplater can generally refinish, but that's a difficult process as well...
I'm told that they are done using vacuum depositing which is all but unavailable outside original manufacture. The mirror parts for the non adjustable lights are available on eBay.
Old 08-09-2019, 11:07 PM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by John McM
I'm told that they are done using vacuum depositing which is all but unavailable outside original manufacture. The mirror parts for the non adjustable lights are available on eBay.
Yeah, I imagining deposition a difficult process to replicate.
I had Karmann Ghia and 356 both replated in a silver dip bath with electrolysis - very successfully.
It took weeks of waiting between the spoons and other stuff, before the shop had enough to make a full load, as I think some parts of the processing were sacrificial...

It looks like our only option is to buy a new set of H4, mostly available in LHD, and swap out the lenses for RHD.
We might try cleaning the H5 regardless, and put some new inserts before though...
Old 08-10-2019, 05:12 AM
Harry Apps
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

It looks like our only option is to buy a new set of H4, mostly available in LHD, and swap out the lenses for RHD.
We might try cleaning the H5 regardless, and put some new inserts before though...
Not just a lens swap. ISTR the RHD H4 bulb fittings are rotated 15 deg to the LHD versions.

Quick Reply: The silly little question thread ...