Sponsored by:

Check your engine mounts!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 06:50 PM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

It is simple

Track or Wevo Blue = reinforce the carrier.
Street only + Wevo Black or 993 mounts = no need to reinforce the carrier.

Regardless of your choice, reinforcing the carrier has never hurt and may help you sleep better.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:02 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

You may find the WEVO Semi-Solid mounts here. As stated above both 993 & WEVO are great options but do have to say the WEVOs are very nice, excellent quality and look fantastic.

Mark/Pelican Parts
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 12-12-2013, 10:09 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Navaros911
I'm leaning towards 993 mounts since my carrier isn't reinforced. I'd like to go with the Wevos, but in the back of my head I'd always be wondering if the engine carrier is suffering from it.
The mounts that are advertised as 993 mounts aren't really 993 mounts... they are filled with a hunk of urethane/elastomer just like the wevo mounts and just like the RS mounts. Really 993 mounts are hydraulic! That said I have no idea what the durometer is of the aftermarket corteco 993 mounts. I'm not so sure I would choose one over the other based on the potential carrier problem. The bigger issue is how you remove the mounts (slightly jack the engine) and if anyone has removed them previously and twisted (and weakening in the process) the carrier.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:41 PM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Well... just ordered the Corteco 993 advertised mounts. Plenty of people giving good feedback and they don't look out of place on a mainly stock (looking at least) car.

Jason: the carrier is fine. Just had the engine rebuilt and the carrier was inspected and painted... no issues, nothing bent either. So unless something went very wrong during install, everything should be good. And I trust my mech knows what he's doing since he rebuilds at least an engine a month himself. The mounts are one of those... oh we should've ordered this part from the start things.

Perhaps I'll do it myself, perhaps I'll have him do it.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:15 PM
porschapete91
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had the Corteco 993 mounts in for a 8 days now and 1500ks later no issues did not realize how bad my genuine ones were car is tight and a joy to drive.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:17 AM
Kuchar
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Last week, i replaced my 20 years old, with 993 engine mounts. They are great! Some strange noises disappeared
Old 01-17-2014, 12:59 AM
carlskisWP
Instructor

I ordered the 993 mounts from Pelican which I though would be the Corteco brand based on the posts in this thread and what was listed on Pelican's web site. What showed up today were mounts from "Rein Automotive" made in the Czech Republic. Anyone have experience or heard of this brand?
Old 01-17-2014, 08:19 AM
pi5tolpete
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same thing REIN brand. I'm calling pelican.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:27 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

This may provide some clarity to this topic of REIN & Corteco mounts:

Hi Guys. I would like to apologize for the confusion here - there unfortunately is no simple answer. I will try to add some clarity however.

Let's start by discussing the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturers) that sell to the car manufacturers (Porsche, BMW, Mercedes, etc.). They produce many parts for them for use on new vehicles. I believe this where most of their revenue tends to come from. In addition, they also supply parts for the replacement parts supply chain within the manufacturers dealer network. I.E. they produce parts for Porsche that Porsche then places in their "Genuine Porsche " boxes and sells to their dealers as replacement parts. This business is also lucrative for the OEM manufacturers.

Then, there's the third chain, the one that Pelican taps into (to save everyone money). This is where the OEM manufacturers sell parts directly to Pelican and our suppliers. Sometimes there are contracts that these OEM manufacturers have with the manufacturer (Porsche) that detail that they cannot sell the exact same part through the third channel (outside of the control of Porsche). So, the OEM manufacturer may use many different tricks and loopholes to get around these restrictions. As a side note too, sometimes the OEM manufacturer doesn't even want the car manufacturer (Porsche) to know they are stuffing these parts out the back channel - in reality, sometimes it's difficult to tell where these come from if you're an end-consumer.

So, this is the case with these motor mounts. Rein is a distributor of German parts - they buy parts from the OEM manufacturer and then box them in their own "Rein" branded boxes. This would be the same as if Pelican bought parts in bulk from an OEM manufacturer in Europe and then "reboxed" them into a Pelican box. The mounts are manufactured by a company that is a subsidiary of CFW/Corteco. This company's name (which I have been asked not to post publicly) starts with a "V", and that is why the markings show that.

So, why do the parts not have an OEM part number? Because the manufacturers (Porsche especially) have trademarked their part numbering system and do not allow aftermarket parts to include that part number. It's way more complicated than that, but that's the gist of it. It's also why you might often see a part come in a box that looks brand new, but has a Porsche or BMW logo that was cast into the part - that casting is sometimes ground off. The reason why is because these parts were manufactured using the same molds and tooling used for the Porsche part, but the trademark needs be removed before it can enter the "alternative distribution channel".

Sorry for all the cloak-and-dagger stuff, but getting parts through these channels keeps the aftermarket and companies like Pelican alive and thriving. We can sell the same part from the same manufacturing line as the Genuine part, often for 1/3 the cost or less. Having to deal with these little confusion issues has been something that we've been working with for the past 15 years, and it's just part of the business. In general, it's not something that we like to see discussed in length on discussion boards because it can spook the manufacturers sometimes (this has indeed happened in the past).

I hope this helps to clarify, and thanks everyone for your continued support!

-Wayne

Wayne R. Dempsey
CEO, Pelican Parts Inc.
Old 01-18-2014, 03:48 AM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Thanks for the update Wayne...

Also worth looking at this post from our 993 brothers: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...st-review.html

Since I've been travelling for work, I haven't seen the parts yet (despite being delivered on the 7th). Either way, I place trust in Pelican's selection of parts over many other ways of selecting parts. And if I'm not happy I can always send it back... no local supplier can do that for me at the price of Pelican's parts.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:10 PM
carlskisWP
Instructor

Thanks for the explanation Wayne and thanks Navarros for the 993 link. The 993 guys had the same questions about Corteco vs Rein brand mounts. I just wanted to make sure I didn't put on no name ebay mounts that others warned against.

Put the 993 mounts on today and they fit nicely. The old 964 mounts were pretty shot, the right side especially. Given how much the 964 mounts were sagging the new ones have probably raised the engine about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch in the back.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:37 PM
pi5tolpete
Pro

I replaced mine today with the Rein/Cortico brand. Went in fine. I was unsure how much engine jacking I should do so when I loosened the river side nut off all the way, the engine dropped about 0.5" quickly. I then jacked the engine up again to fit the replacements. Should I worry a bout the drop! Bending something or am I being silly? I also noted that the passenger side engine carrier has a bend in it right before the hole for the mounting. Is this normal?
Old 01-19-2014, 09:45 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

You're probably fine w/ the engine dropping a bit. Obviously, you want to avoid that, but .5" shouldn't have caused any problems.

Regarding the carrier being bent, it's not normal, but it is expected of the original carriers that haven't been reinforced and are running on failing motor mounts. When/if you do the reinforcement piece, you'd want to get that all straightened out before welding on the reinforcement.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:03 PM
pi5tolpete
Pro

See if the link works
http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/a...psf37fc3e4.jpg
Old 01-19-2014, 10:14 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Yup, that's bent. If you feel around that area where the bend is, you'll notice how thin that area is. Now that the metal is bent, it's been compromised. It's possible that it'll fail as it continues to be loaded/stress while in use, then motor will literally partially fall out the car.

Quick Reply: Check your engine mounts!